Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Tires Worn already?

so today i am sitting in my dealership getting my 32000km service. now since i had a dash issues before, my car only says i have 29xxxKm on it but in actuality it has close to 40,000km on it.

the service advisor just walked up to me and said my tires are warn. apparently the rear tires are warn down to the stops and the front tires do not have much to go before they reach their stops also. i have never done a tire rotation on the car so can someone please explain to me how the hell my rear tires wore out before my fronts? i can understand the fronts getting messed up, i have done quick accelerating and burnouts and squeels but i have never drifted on dry pavement (or even wet, i only drift on ice or snow and even then not much)

looking at my car i have always thought my rear wheels were angled in and my front pulls all over the road.....WTF!! lol, im so pissed off. he told me it will cost $482 for new tires, im assuming it would include instalation.

so basically im wondering if i should get my alignment checked and go from there to figure out how my tires got so warn or if i just need to suck it up as OEM tires wear poorly?

how long do most people get out of the OEM tires? i was hoping atleast 60xxx on them
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
First of all, don't ever buy tires from a car dealer.

Next, it is very odd for your rears to wear before the fronts. If your rear suspension needs alignment, something is bent since the Yaris has a solid axle.

If your alignment is bad, then tires will wear in as little 10,000miles. So, go to your local tire store, have them check to see if the wear bars are showing. If they are, buy a new set of tires, get an alignment, and consider it a (somewhat expensive) lesson...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
You're at about 25K miles, so this is normal. Cheap econo tires don't last very long. Mine were down to the bars by 30K, and I was driving normally the whole time. Better to pay a little extra and get more tire-life.

And yes, do opt for an alignment once the new ones are installed

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
I had to replace all 4 of my factory tires at ~40k miles.

Problem was that the dealership the car was purchased from included "lifetime tire replacement" as an incentive for the sale and I completely forgot about it. I only remembered a couple months after buying new tires and mounting them. That was a homer simpson "DOH!" moment if I've ever seen one.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I made it to 52000 miles with the orginial tires and now I'm at 92000 miles. Tires are in good shape and I've never had the car aligned. I agree with yaristeve that it is odd for the rear tires to wear out before the fronts on a front drive car. Better to have it aligned and find out if there are problems that you can correct.

I'm wondering if you bought this car new or used. Why would you have odometer reading problems that should have been corrected under warranty. Sounds like a used car that was in an accident, rear ended via the rear tires wearing before the fronts, then fixed, poorly, and sold. Did you run a car fax on the car if you bought it used?

good luck.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I destroyed my set of tires in 40,000 miles or so, because I didn't get an alignment. One side of both front tires were barely worn at all, and the inside of the tire was worn to below the wear bars - I didn't notice until I had a free brake inspection and the people there took me out to the car and showed me the tires when off the vehicle, It was hard to see while they were mounted.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The stock Bridgestone Potenzas are pure garbage (not sure if the OP has these or the GoodYears Eagle's (equally crappy). The Bridgestone's are warranted to 40,000 miles.

Oddly enough, the Potenza's are expensive. $101 on Tire Rack. You can get tires that will last twice as long, and perform twice as good for about $60.

Look at the pathetic reviews from owners...

(click on surveys tab on each link below)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=

For survey comparison, here's some General Altimax for $67 (which I bought)
and these are rated at 55,000 miles.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
What! Toyota did not put expensive tires on the Yaris? C'mon people, of course Toyota is going to put average at best tires on this car. That is why this car is very inexpensive. But as others indicate do NOT buy tires from the dealer. When I replace mine, the dealer wanted $200 more than the tire store I eventually used.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
I'm wondering if you bought this car new or used. Why would you have odometer reading problems that should have been corrected under warranty. Sounds like a used car that was in an accident, rear ended via the rear tires wearing before the fronts, then fixed, poorly, and sold. Did you run a car fax on the car if you bought it used?

good luck.
His car is new, he had an issue with original gauge cluster, got replaced, hence discrepancy between indicated and actual mileage on the vehicle. It's in his first sentence.

My OEM Potenza's were shot well before I replaced them at ~60,000 kms. They appear to have the wear characteristics of HP tires, meaning they are relatively soft and quick to wear down.

Time to start reading all of the various tire recommendation and review threads on here and figure out what your replacements will be.

And to the OP, the word is WORN

Last edited by WeeYari; 12-28-2010 at 05:25 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Worn

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44 View Post
What! Toyota did not put expensive tires on the Yaris? C'mon people, of course Toyota is going to put average at best tires on this car. That is why this car is very inexpensive. But as others indicate do NOT buy tires from the dealer. When I replace mine, the dealer wanted $200 more than the tire store I eventually used.
Problem is, is that the OEM tires are expensive. See my post before yours. Tire Rack has the best prices and they are still $101 each for the Yaris size. Yet they are among the lowest rated in the industry. You shouldn't pay more than about $75 each for a 15" tire unless you want to waste money on Michelins.

The automakers however work out deals with the tire companies of course and buy massive quantities. Bridgestone is one of the most common OEM brands and they probably give the automakers a great deal.

There's just so many far superior tires that are between $55 & $75 out there that these Bridgestone's are laughable at there retail price point.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
It just occurred to me that the OP has an RS so he is probably on Goodyear rubber.

Edit: yep, he is http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...63&postcount=1
Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
yaris2010RS

lol, thanks all for your posts (and my spelling correction), i've always known from before never to buy things from a dealer, so i know i would never buy tires from them.

yes, as weeyari confirmed i do have OEM goodyears

car has never been rearended nor even hit a curb so i find it very odd how off my rear alignment is off. but as many of u said too, it is about average time to replace (km wise), and i looked at the tires myself, fronts i am not worried about at all, they still have a lot of life in my personal opinion, but the rears have quite a bit less.

and like weeyari said too, i got my car from new and the original dash "gave up" and stopped counting my milage and showing my speed so it was replaced by Toyota and they did not bother making the note of added km (that dash only showed about 5xxxkm on it but since it took them about a month too get the new dash i figure its very close to 9000km or even 10
Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Just did another rotation at 25,000 miles. Probably will get over 50k on the Bridgestones.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
1. don't buy tires from the dealer.

2. buy some snow tires/rims

3. search kijiji in the GTA for tires

4. if you want/need them, i have some used 14" steelies w/ snows on them that'd last you the winter for $100, if you come out to get them ill even put them on your car for you, and im off all week.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
yaris2010RS

lol, thanks barber. but im not too concerned yet, they still have enough life for the winter and i will probably push them till next fall.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
lol, thanks barber. but im not too concerned yet, they still have enough life for the winter and i will probably push them till next fall.
And from past knowledge you will be the first to moan when you have
crashed your car due to lack of tyre tread and traction
Thats real bright right there
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #18
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
And from past knowledge you will be the first to moan when you have
crashed your car due to lack of tyre tread and traction
Thats real bright right there
i have actually been in an accident before due to dead tires. i can drive my yaris with drift tires across ice, it is my baby and if i feel the slightest danger i slow right down and drive the way i have taught myself i should. on the other hand, my yaris being my baby does not make my walet deeper, still got bills to pay and i do not see a way to get new tires till around spring.