Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Need help; please!!!!

Well....
I have had my system in the car for some time now. I have not had time to make new box's, or even buy them, so there still in a box taking up 95% of my sadans trunk. I have 2 12" subs with a 1000w monoblock. They are loud... sometimes so loud they require more power then the car can handle and kill the radio/lights....

Well this is not my problem.. yet.

What my huge problem is the rattle and crappy sounds that I hear from everywhere.. Do you all know the mounting/covers for the back speakers? Well that vibrates and makes the bass sound like shit. And to make things worse.... The rattling sound is even worse from the outside!!!!!! It sound like the trunk/undercarriage is vibrating to living hell, and it sounds like the car is farting very loudly/breaking apart.

I really dont know what to do anymore. What is shaking so damn much on the outside of the car? I can hear it as if the trunk is shaking, rear lights are shaking, and even the parts around the gas tank are shaking.... It doesnt make any sense how all this could be. I have tried filling up gaps inside the trunk with clothes, and holding down all lose pieces, but nothing has changed all the bad sound.

I have heard of dynomating the whole thing, but comon, the inside part shakes like I mentioned above, and I dont know what to do to fix that? ( maybe disconnecting it, and placing a loose cloth under the part covering the back speakers and replacing it so it wont vibrate against the metal?) But as for the trunk/the rest of the noise coming from the back, how do I fix this? It is driving my insane.

You people just dont know!!! The bass is so good and clean on the inside(expcept for half the beats causing that back panel over the rear speakers to shake vilently); but from the outside it sound horrible!!!! Please everyone help me, and suggest everything PLEASE@!@@&$!@&#*^(@!&*

If you suggest something PLEASE paste a link of the item I should get. like off ebay!! Thank you to all that help me and my very frustrating problems.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I don't have any links but I can give some insight. Dynomat will help, it won't stop it but it makes the base tighter and the resonation isn't as bad through out the car...I remember when I first got my system in my ECHO it was bad! Of course this being my first aftermarket set up, although I think you topped me on that one! Obviously it depends on the music, if its hard hitting (techo) it can rattle...for awhile I had foam stuff from a bed, its hard to explain but I had that in my trunk and I stuffed it in there around the sub, it helped a little. I do have dynomat in my doors...of course I didn't notice a difference but the guy at the place assured me you can tell the difference compared to a car that doesn't have it. I'm used to it now, for me personally I doesn't seem that bad, I must be use to it, and the bass for me seems pretty tight, but I feel your pain and I know what you're talking about...I guess you can go an expensive route and sound proof the car or just don't have an elaborate system as far as bass goes, but I'm sure that's not what you want. Sorry if I wasn't too much help just thought I chime in!

Remember, there's always resonation, just how much is the key and controlling it as far as keeping the bass tight! Good luck!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
Dynomat will help

yea....lol

with the rattling outside, Dynamat or any sound deadener mat will sure eliminate the rattling. I had the same problem too with my car doors, FUCK IT RATTLES LIKE A BITCH......but when i installed some sound deading matts inside the door panel.....its all gone!!, plus the bass sounds better and i think i gained about 10 - 20 lost DB.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #4
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
might seam ovbious, but did you check the licence plate?, and dynomat any flat serfice in the trunk, and it will help the rattling outside forsure, might eliminate alot of it, and then help you to be able to pinpoint the rest of the rattles, i still dont ahve my system up and running...but i am sure there are going to be plenty of rattles
but yeah, i would start with a "dynomat" trunk kit http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-b...ps&pg=1&_scb=2 actually i would use that second skin product, for the higher quality, and not as steap of price as dynomat brand name...

and would also look at the licence plate...still not sure what i am going to do with mine, probably some foam weather stripping type product behind it, you know, the selfe adheasive foam strips, meant to be used around doors and such, available at homedepot, or similar store

thats just where i would start ;) and after that is done, hopefully be able to pinpoint the rest of the noise :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Lafiro

Thank you all!!!!

Please keep suggestions coming.... I need links for dynomat products now!! :)

Oh, and the licence plate already has padding, and I know that isnt the verdict :(
Old 10-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

oh yea i noticed with my rattles that the metal made the noise. There was no loose plastic insite. So i suugest u cover up the inner and outer skin metal. You come from NYC so i dont know what stores would sell dynamat. But i baught a very similar product.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

i baught that product. Bitumen Based Sound Deadener i dont know if that product is in america. But it sure does the job for a cheaper price
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You're in luck. The cheapest source I knowof for Dynamat is right in your neighborhood. http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...c=1&prod_type=

Go with the Dynamat Xtreme rather than the original for inside the car.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The best advice I can give you: two 12's is too much for a Japanese econobox. All that rattling is the sound of your bolts coming loose, hahaha.

You could dynamat your gas pedal and it would only slow the bleeding. Over time shit will come apart with that much bass in such a small area... trust me, I've seen it happen over and over and over and over...

What type of speakers do you have? If you say stock... with all that bass... I'm going to slap you.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Lafiro

i ran out of money when doing the sound.... im actually in debt... so still stock speakers.... but thats going to change very soon cause the bass is too much...

and lately I just put down the bass..

so seriously my bolts are just coming loose and my car is going to fall apart?

I needed help, not to be told im going to lose my car and be laughed at.

the speakers are Clif Design speakers...
Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

i forgot u drove a yaris....DUH A YARIS FORUM....

u know what.....dynamat the trunk and see what happens yea?......and when i mean dynamat it....really cover everything
Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro
i ran out of money when doing the sound.... im actually in debt... so still stock speakers.... but thats going to change very soon cause the bass is too much...

and lately I just put down the bass..

so seriously my bolts are just coming loose and my car is going to fall apart?

I needed help, not to be told im going to lose my car and be laughed at.

the speakers are Clif Design speakers...
Don't take my cynicism as me being an asshole. We need the whole picture before we can help, you know?

We know you're in debt... you just bought a $15,000 car, hahaha. We all are.

With high SPL levels in a small, enclosed trunk, over time you can literally shake bolts loose. My buddy used to have 2 12's in a Civic sedan and after 6 months of use he had escalating rattling which was due to the fact that his trunk mount bolts were shaking loose. Just something to watch for...

Your have two options.

1) Dynamat everything. This is stupid. Its a ton of work and its expensive, and you just said you're strapped for cash. If you don't want to get ripped off you'll have to spend $120 for the kit to do a whole car... the trunk kit alone I think is 50 or 60 bucks, so why not just spring and get the whole shebang. If you have the money do it, but I don't see much of a point in dynamatting until you're ready to go all the way with it. For all you know you're getting rattling in your front doors... the trunk kit wouldn't help that.

2) Remove one subwoofer. Thats what I would do. You'll spend 20 bucks for a new box and you now know that one 12 is PLENTY for this car. This will for sure at least reduce your rattling, and you can sell your extra sub and pay for the box.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
FoEKuZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to FoEKuZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Don't take my cynicism as me being an asshole. We need the whole picture before we can help, you know?

We know you're in debt... you just bought a $15,000 car, hahaha. We all are.

With high SPL levels in a small, enclosed trunk, over time you can literally shake bolts loose. My buddy used to have 2 12's in a Civic sedan and after 6 months of use he had escalating rattling which was due to the fact that his trunk mount bolts were shaking loose. Just something to watch for...

Your have two options.

1) Dynamat everything. This is stupid. Its a ton of work and its expensive, and you just said you're strapped for cash. If you don't want to get ripped off you'll have to spend $120 for the kit to do a whole car... the trunk kit alone I think is 50 or 60 bucks, so why not just spring and get the whole shebang. If you have the money do it, but I don't see much of a point in dynamatting until you're ready to go all the way with it. For all you know you're getting rattling in your front doors... the trunk kit wouldn't help that.

2) Remove one subwoofer. Thats what I would do. You'll spend 20 bucks for a new box and you now know that one 12 is PLENTY for this car. This will for sure at least reduce your rattling, and you can sell your extra sub and pay for the box.

^^^ Heee'sss GOOooooOoooD ^^
Old 10-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #13
Lafiro

Ok, I will take your advise in order!!

First though; how am I to find every single bolt that is around the trunk, inside and out? I need to make sure they are all tight.

Next, Violin gave a very nice link, and for $130. that seems like a good deal to me for the whole car.... wont you all say?

If so, thats what I will be getting. I am going to make sure every inch of the trunk is bolted tightly, and then dynomat everything.

But really, i only get this rattle sound from the trunk/under the car/the mounting where the rear speakers are. I checked those bolts, and they seem to be welded in place, and its very solid. But the cloth material our car uses is the thing that vibrates vilently against the metal and thats the problem for the sound INSIDE the car. As for the sound outside the car, I dont hear that inside at all. But comon, how would you like to know it sounded good inside, but outside people are looking at the car only cause it really just sounds like shit cause of something rattling. I will take pictures after I get home from work at 5pm est. I will also try to record it while playing a soung to see if you can all understand the sounds and where they are heard from. I want to make sure everyone who helps atleast knows every detail possible.

And once again, THANK YOU ALL!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

You probably aren't getting rattling from a loose bolt now, I was more giving you the heads up for the future with your current setup. The car is brand new, it will take a long period of time to shake a bolt loose.

As far as the Dynamat, yes, if you're going to have a high quality system (components, subwoofers, amplifiers, HU) treat every part of the car you can.

Maybe the panels are rattling against the car. They're only held on by plastic fasteners. Maybe Dynamat would stiffen things up... we won't know until someone tries.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #15
Yar

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Metallic
Saying that 2 "12 are to much for an encobox car, well, I would argue it wouldn't be correct. 90 Mustang, 4 12" subs Crazy amount of Wattage, is probably triple what he might be blasting out.....That isn't rare either....anyways....

If your going to scrap the stock stereo for something different, I would highly recommend, just to wait it out, till you get everything you need, from :Subs, Sub Boxes, Speakers, Amps....etc....

I'm in the process of re-doing my system.

I also have two 12"s going the back of my hatchback, with compent speakers/tweeters going up front, the subs will have there own amp, as will the speakers. The only thing that is still stock is the rear speakers, for NOW. Money is really tight for me, and I just can't afford another set of speakers, and knowing there will be two 12" subs in the back of my car, all I'm really going to need the speakers for in the back is for “fill.” So they can wait a few weeks till I can get the funds to actually buy them.

My advice would just to wait it out, till you get everything, and then install it all in, you'll be much happier, and if something does go wrong, you can identify the problem, and figure out a solution easy.

Have fun with it!!

-Bill
Yar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #16
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
A cheap alternative to dynamat is...Ice guard
check out the roofing department at home depot for Ice guard rolled roofing.
Some complain of the odor in hot cliamates/weather. personally I did not notice much differeance then when I used dynamat.
With the ice guard you get enough to do 2-3 cars double layers.

So much bass from two 12's and stock speakers, It's gotta sound like complete crap.
That might be ok if you want to piss of the neighbors and just like listening to noise, but that's not how music was intended to be listened to.
You can still have a chit load of bass with one sub and or less power and match it with the rest of the systems levels for better SQ.
A good SQ set up still had AWESOME bass with out sounding like you have a retard shaking a can of marbles in the back of your car.

I run a 12" sub in a 1 cu.ft box and 300W.
Alpine speakers in the doors and 75W to each.
Sounds awesome, great SQ even for the stock HU and lack of audio controls and great bass with very little rattling.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
A good SQ set up still had AWESOME bass with out sounding like you have a retard shaking a can of marbles in the back of your car.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #18
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I'm getting a rattle from the left rear (non)door panel only on certain bass heavy tracks. I diagnosed it by taking the panel off - no rattle.

I've got a couple of fixes in mind. I'll post up when I find one that works.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote