Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
hobojon

Drives: Yaris
Having second thoughts about the Yaris

I wanted to get a dependable car for my wife to have for the next few years of her commuting for college. I did the research and it seemed like the Yaris 5 door LB was a good choice. It was cheap, dependable and had good resale value and good fuel economy. I didn't realize that the base price of the car as advertised was a scam. They don't sell a Yaris without some kind of package added on. If you want cruise you have to buy the power package or put it in yourself. With TTL and the destination charge, this is not a cheap car. If I wanted to pay 15K or 16K for a car I might as well buy a Scion that comes with all the options you have to pay for on the Yaris. For that kind of money I think I'd rather have a 4 or 5 year old Lexus. Am I missing something? Even the most inexpensive Yaris, the 3 dr LB seems way overpriced. There aren't any 5 dr models in the used market, the used 3 dr cars are priced at 8K or 9K which isn't bad. Maybe I should just wait until the 5dr models start hitting the used market, I guess when the revised 2010 models come out in Sep.
hobojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
The yaris is all you say for a inexpensive fuel economy car. If you choose to do the extras, then the price goes up ! If you only buy it with the winter package, prices are reasonable. All depends how much you need the extras.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojon View Post
I wanted to get a dependable car for my wife to have for the next few years of her commuting for college. I did the research and it seemed like the Yaris 5 door LB was a good choice. It was cheap, dependable and had good resale value and good fuel economy. I didn't realize that the base price of the car as advertised was a scam. They don't sell a Yaris without some kind of package added on. If you want cruise you have to buy the power package or put it in yourself. With TTL and the destination charge, this is not a cheap car. If I wanted to pay 15K or 16K for a car I might as well buy a Scion that comes with all the options you have to pay for on the Yaris. For that kind of money I think I'd rather have a 4 or 5 year old Lexus. Am I missing something? Even the most inexpensive Yaris, the 3 dr LB seems way overpriced. There aren't any 5 dr models in the used market, the used 3 dr cars are priced at 8K or 9K which isn't bad. Maybe I should just wait until the 5dr models start hitting the used market, I guess when the revised 2010 models come out in Sep.
I don't think I can agree. I got my Yaris loaded for 14.898. And today, they are even offering more for their rebate so I could have shaved 150 more off that number.

You just have to know how to deal with dealers. They will lie to you so you have to play their game and make it your advantage.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Wish I could have bought a Scion XD for the same price as my Yaris. If you want to load it up like a Scion it'll cost you.

Me and a friend bought a Toyota and a Scion from the same dealership at nearly the same time. Extra options were pretty much the same...just better wheels and stereo on each vehicle over how they come standard. I paid less than 15K, she paid over 18.5K

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
hobojon

You are probably right. I am sick of these dealers, they take all of the fun out of it. It's hard to negotiate with these guys when you just want a base car, mostly because they don't have one. In order to get cruise you have to spend $1800 more than the base model to get it? That's crazy. The Scion XD is looking better because they have no haggle prices. The base model has everything my wife wants and it looks like their resale values are good. Neither one of us is keen to its looks though compared to the Yaris 5 door LB. After I add up the total with TTL I still end up with a total that is just unacceptable. I want to pay cash, when I get close to pulling the trigger I keep thinking, I can buy 4 or 5 nice used cars for that price, or a Lexus a few years old.....Am I just cheap?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
dude u should come to my local toyota dealership. that's all they have is base priced yarii. lol... the dealer i was buying from didn't even know they made a sport. one could walk out to that lot right now and not find a single yaris over 15k. turns out tiny cars aren't really in demand here in redneck country. who knew.

also i think every car's advertised sell price is a lie anyway. "starting at" price and "walk out the door with an actual car" price are always gonna be quite different. at least in my experience.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Mine is an '08 3 door, which varies from what you're looking at.. but I had to travel to find a base model. Mine out the door was 12,300, and it's base model w/ manual transmission (with a few extras.. cold weather package, CD player, etc.)
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
hobojon

I grew up in South Texas, I live in WA now. I haven't seen one base model for sale here. Online or on the lots. Covenience package, power package, cold weather package, etc...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
33OH

You basically have to buy the cold weather package, they usually only import it to the northern US zones. For how much it is, it's worth it. (heavy duty starter, heater, bigger windshield washer fluid reservoir..)
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
hobojon

I think maybe I just like my money more than I like the car. (I'm cheap)
Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
33OH

I'm cheap too, but I also bought an '07 Hyundai Accent hatchback for $15,000 when they first came out because it was the cheapest brand new hatchback car I could find. Next year, I see a brand new Yaris LB for $13,000 , I offer 12,000 and he says 12,300, and I'm all over it.

It doesn't quite pay for itself with gas savings (I got rid of a 2000 Ford Focus sedan for it), but the gas savings + my love for the car = worth it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
It is difficult to find a stripped-down Yaris (heck, it's difficult to find a stripped-down anything these days). Have you gone into the dealer and told them you want a bare-bones model? They might be able to locate one for you.

Otherwise, try to find a used one. Autotrader has several three-door liftbacks for under $12,000 within 100 miles of Portland (where I live).

The Yaris can get spendy, no doubt. However, I'd go in and talk to the dealer. Otherwise, if you're really looking for a steal, pick up a used Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio (2007 and up). The resale sucks which is great for used car buyers, they have a great warranty, and are really inexpensive.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
hobojon

A used Hyundai or Kia? I may as well flush my money down the toilet.
I'm trying to find a 5 dr LB. It would be much easier to buy used or work a deal on a new 3 dr. The 5 dr LB is hard to find new or used around here.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
hobojon

The best deal I've come up with is $750.00 below listed invoice on any Yaris on the lot. What do you guys think?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
33OH

That's about how much they're going to come down, if it's on a 5-door I'd say go for it.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I bought an 08 3 door LB brand new with no packages, manual transmission, roll up windows, manual locks, no rear windshield wiper, and no radio for 12,500k out the door here in hawaii. that's cheap for hawaii.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
hobojon

The invoice minus $750 price is how the USAA or AMEX car buying service prices the cars out with their member dealers (it's probably the same for the Costco /Sam's Club etc. programs as well) They also price any options added at invoice price. The total for the car including destination is invoice minus $750.00 plus any options priced at invoice. This price includes the $750.00 dealer incentive so basically I am getting the car and any options I want for invoice prices (in theory)They give me a certificate I print out to present to the dealer. The service doesn't cost anything, it's just a benefit of being a credit card holder. The main problem is the dealer mysteriously stops emailing me back when I forward the certificate for them to honor.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
hobojon

According to this service I should be able to purchase a base 3 dr LB with 5 speed for $11831.00 +TTL and a 5 dr LB with an auto trans for $12899.00 +TTL. Has anybody actually got one of these cars for close to that amount of money?