Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
How Goes The iQ?

Is there any word on when and if (or not) the iQ will come to the US anytime soon? Are there any other mini cars scheduled to debut here in the near future? Ive got money burning a hole in my pocket for a mini car!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
The iQ is coming. Maybe next year, but not sure if it will be a Toyota or a Scion

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I would wait. Smart Car has applied for license to build a vehicle called the ForThree. The design has the driver up front in the center of the car and two passagers behind the driver. The iQ in reverse, so to speak. I would love a chance to test drive that vehicle.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
gokartride

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-Door Liftback
I heard 2010 and that it would be a Scion in the US. Interesting that both Aston Martin and MINI are looking at/engaged in partnerships involving the platform. For my money, I'd take Toyota engineering and design innovation over what Smart is offering (in the US anyway), although any car that functions well at that size is pretty clever no matter how you look at it.

It'll be interesting to see what modifications are done to the car to make it salable here. We saw this w/ Smart...I hope the iQ fares better.
gokartride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
its going to be funny when people pick up this car for their only daily driver and realize how creative they will have to get to fit even a small grocery trips worth of bags in the car

i do not miss driving a 2 seater for a daily driver!

http://www.4055design.com

Last edited by kustom play; 09-06-2009 at 04:15 PM.
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
katchkillah
Lost

Drives: Toyota ist
from the last updates i've seen via SET it's coming in 2010 under scion.
katchkillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
gokartride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
how creative they will have to get to fit even a small grocery trips worth of bags in the car
Well, at least the iQ has back seats.

Vicki seems to like it for shopping w/ the girls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSB1nfX_3sU&NR=1
Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

if you watch the video there not putting any bags in the back there just making it look like they are

the backs seat is for like 1 person, i would hate to be the one shoved in the back

i use to have to use both my trunk and under my front hood to bring home food.

for a little bit of time they had this thing called a "race case" it was beer but the case was in the shape of a spare tire and fit perfectly in the front

even now being a home owner, the yaris is even too small now. Im going to trade it in for a new Tacoma pre-runner or keep it and pick up an older truck

small cars well cool when i lived at home and had other cars to pick up the slack but on your own people are going to realize how there not practical

you will never understand it unless you drove a small car for a while, ugggg it sucked for a DD

Old 09-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I think this car is going to be marketed as a city car, or second vehicle.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

yea i would agree totally i still wish toyota would of brought over the open deck bb :(

Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
definitely 2010 and definitely a Scion. and I will definitely get one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #12
katchkillah
Lost

Drives: Toyota ist
if toyota brought in other mini-vans/wagons that would've been even better.
katchkillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #13
gokartride

Well, I suppose I am on the other end of the spectrum....a Yaris actually has more room than I need and an iQ would be just fine. My trips to the grocery store involve two bags...no more. If I have lots more to haul I plan things out and rent the truck at Home Depot. That said...my kids are grown, I motor to a train station for my commute across the vast and sprawling wilderness of DFW, and I tend to be a pretty lousy consumer in general.

I had a Spitfire and a Sprite back in the day....and just came from (quite willingly) back to back MINIs. I'd snatch up an iQ in a heartbeat as an only car.

That said....I wonder how it will do in mpg once (or if) they tweak it for the US? I've also heard this might be one of Toyota's logical platforms for an all-electric car. The times they are a-changin', but it does make one crazy with all the technology rumors and infrastructure challenges.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I just read in Car and Driver that the MPG testing in Europe is by an entirely different method than in the U.S. and gives much higher numbers. It's not so much differences in tune of the cars as comparing apples to oranges in the mileage testing.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
gokartride

Yes....I seem to recall the engine of the Smart (which I assume was made by Mercedes for European cars) was replaced w/ a Mitsubishi lump when the car came over here). I doubt this will happen w/ the iQ.

In a perfect world, wouldn't it be great to agree on one world standard for auto emissions and crash testing?? This sure would simplify things for those who design, build, and sell cars.

Of course, California would probably still find a way to do everyone one better!!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Most of my trips I use the passager's side for what I bring home. A lot of people could live with a iQ (or a ForThree) if they plan their trips. Instead of getting groceries one a week, buy groceries every time you drive. I plan my shopping around doctor's appointments and allergy shots. I

European auto crash standards are way ahead of US standards in a number of ways. Optional safety equipment for the Yaris in the US are standard safety equipment for the Yaris in Europe. The US has yet to pass a human vehicle impact safety standard. US and Californa auto standards are slanted toward air quality. European air quality standards have included CO2 pollution restrictions for some time. So there are a lot fewer gas guzzling vehicles on European roads.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Shoot I could do perfectly well on shopping trips with the top case on my motorcycle. Ihear Toyota is going to make the iQ an expensive car rather than a real economy car if they ever bring it here. "Americanize" it as it were. It should have the 1 liter engine and cost ~$10,000.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
advocate

Drives: car
I can't wait to see some of those pop up on Microimage. Make sure you get on that Garm!
From the video posted I calculated that it gets 55MPG

23 kilometers>>>>>.621371192 miles..............1 liter .......................14.29153 miles
____________ x __________________ x _______________ = __________________ = 54.0993261467 MPG
1 liter ........................1 kilometer>>>>>>>>.264172052 gallon>>>> .264172052 gallons

but Yaris Hilton said the MPG calculation in Europe is a lot different. But I think it's safe to assume the number will be higher than the Yaris and lower than the max conversion, 55. So anywhere from 35 < x > 54

edit: wow it's really hard to format text on this forum. for some reason blocks of spaces don't actually count for anything when the post shows up on the thread so I had to use symbols to align everything

Last edited by advocate; 09-07-2009 at 01:21 PM.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote