Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Yaris - GP

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
08 Sedan with sub on rear shelf?

Just think about this for a moment.

I'm trying to keep the massive boot space that I have and thought about mounting a sub on the rear shelf. Has anyone tried this or given it any thought?

It would need a new custom shelf obviously, but what else and what size sub. I have an old RF 12" lying in the garage, but without any measurements, that might be a tad big.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Yaris - GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I put 2x 8" on the rear deck without much modification. Just cut the opening of 5.5" to about 7" or maybe less. But you are pretty much losing about 2-3inches in height of your trunk space.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I've seen it done.... honestly, I think there are better options.... well... options that will give you good results with a fraction of the work and money involved.

What are the stock speaker sizes in the rear deck? 6.5" or 6x9?
if 6x9... you're in luck... if 6.5, you'll have to work a bit harder to get the sound you want.

go here
and get either the 6.5" neo, or 8" neo driver like the W8-1363SB 8"

or for 6x9 holes get this

Keep in mind you have to buy two.

Then all you need to do is make a light weight enclosure that you can mount to the bottom of your rear deck. Big Tupperware contains (although ghetto) can work well. You just have to secure them to the bottom of the rear deck (use silicone sealant). Make sure the seal is air tight. If the tupperware is too filmsy you can stiffen it up buy taking 80, 60, or 40 grit sand paper to the tupperware. Then once it's nice and scuffed up... get your hands on some fiberglass cloth, resin, and hardener. Fiberglass will add lots of strength to curved objects.... flat objects it won't do squat too.

Thats the easiest way... if you want it to look less ghetto (from the trunk)... then you'll have to sacrafice volume, or time/money.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
We get into IB enclosures and all the issues with those.

...Fun though!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
IllusionX

talnlnky: how are the sound of the 6x9 subs?

The sedan have 6x9 on the rear deck. I'm runing my 8" free air, and they sound pretty good.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
talnlnky: how are the sound of the 6x9 subs?

The sedan have 6x9 on the rear deck. I'm runing my 8" free air, and they sound pretty good.
I've never actually played with the 6x9's.... (I know... faux paux for reccomending something I haven't touched)... but I believe they use the EXACT SAME motor as the w8-740 8" sub.... if so, they should sound very similar. I love the 8" 740's that I own. Isn't that 6x9 $50? if so... I guarantee you wont find a better performing 6x9" speaker when it comes to bass for that kind of money. Hell, finding a comparable 8" for that price would be hard too.

The 8's I have LOVE ported boxes, but can be put into small sealed boxes. To really get all the juice out of them you do have to go ported tho. They take abuse fairly well. I once had the pair hooked up to 400rms. Right now they are hooked up to 150rms. When people sit in my car and throw in a rap cd they swear I've got a single 10".... but then again, i'm ported, not sealed.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
IllusionX

hmm.. mine is free air... i wonder what people think i have.. I've had 1 friend who said that it's like a massage chair in the back.. but that's it.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Wouldnt subs in the rear deck make the rear deck rattle like crazy. I have 6x9 coaxials and i already get a littl ebit of rattle i cant imaging putting in 6x9 subs in.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Wouldnt subs in the rear deck make the rear deck rattle like crazy. I have 6x9 coaxials and i already get a littl ebit of rattle i cant imaging putting in 6x9 subs in.
nothing a little mat won't fix.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
What do you need so much trunk space that you can't fit a sub in? I have a sub, a folding chair, random tools, two longboards, and still have room to fit tons of groceries. And if worse comes to worse, you can just pull your sub out to make room for something big.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
hmm.. mine is free air... i wonder what people think i have.. I've had 1 friend who said that it's like a massage chair in the back.. but that's it.
free air/IB can give some of the most natural sound. However, if you don't completely block off the backwave from reaching the front wave you will end up getting much less bass response and extension. It does allow for the sub to reach its limits with very little power tho.... which can be very dangerous.

A few years back I was wanting to run a 15" IB in the trunk of my mazda... never got around to it. If I had a sedan, i'd prolly continue with that idea. The main difference is that I was not going to use the rear deck.