Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Going active

Anyone here ran an active system in our car......I fell into a set of 5 1/4" ARC components and I already have a set of 6.5" components and a 4 channel amp....

was gonna run the 6.5s in the front and mount the tweeters to image where they should,but I can either run the 5.25s in the rear space or build pods in the kicks.......

has anyone tried it in our cars........what works.....I hate to use them for rear imaging as I will not benifit really as i have no rear passengers and would rather do kick pods....

My sub to use is still undecided.......I have a nice ID 10" that will work but also access to 2 12" ID subs for cheap and can build my own box and still deciding what subs to do before buying amp.....

I already have a Elemental Designs NINe.4 to run my comps and will either do depending on sub decision the NINe.2 to push 400w or the NINe.1 to push 1200w.....just depends on what I think will work,I like SQ,but also like it loud......so am leaning to the 2 12s and 1200w split between them....it wil make my hear blow when it hits but is painfull.......lol

Any ideas are welcome I know we got some guys on here that could help on this so I am open to whatever.....

Also the car will be in shows,but not sound compititions....but I like to build nice systems,money is not too much a concern but at the same time I got like 4 friends changing systems so I got access to products they used for les than 6 months and never abused and was tuned properly so it is like new......

I do all my own work and want to be in the 130db range with it or higher which I know the single 10 will not get me to.....unless the small car size makes it which I doubt...

MY tC hit 134DB in a compitition and came in second in my class due mainly to imaging issues and some tuning issues......
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I'm running fully active.

Three way Hybrid Audio 841 Pro SE set

Two IDQ 12"

Two ID Q 450.4 for the components and one ID Q 1200.1 for the two woofers

The source is a Pioneer Carrozzeria DEH-P01

I have plenty of processing power in the source. All the EQ'ing up to 36 dB slopes, a 4 way active crossover, 4 24 bit D/A converters (one for each crossover slope), Time alignment, and auto EQ...

What exactly do YOU want to do?

...Also, I'm in Vancouver, WA...

I'll be going up to BC for IASCA shows during the summer. I'll be going with Team Hybrids members. One of the is actually in the Seattle area. His name is Bill Pleasant. If you want to talk to someone that is close and knows something, he's your man.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I plan on going err..... half active.... active between my midbass & mid.... but passive between the mid & tweet. No subs in the install... all three drivers located in, or near the door.

if you already had a set of 6.5's, I don't understand why you got the 5.25's.... if the 6.5 drivers were midbass heavy... that'd be one thing, you could make a 3-way.... but really... even then, a 5.25 would be bigger than you'd want... a 3-4" speaker would be a much easier install.

You see what SQ is running.... here's mine for comparison

Adire Koda 8" midbass
CSS WR125 4.5" mid
Cheap Audax tweet

160rms to the 8's
80rms shared to the mid & tweet.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Taln,

Are you doing the "quasi-active" thing? mid and tweet on a single pair of channels? All you'd prolly need is a cap for a 6 dB slope...

Get those plus the midbass on a beefy four channel and it'd work well. The only thing would be testing where you wanted your crossover point to be at. That 450.4 is going to give the 8.5 midbass at least 200 Watts at 12 Volts if I call for it. I'm thinking a good bit more actually...

I'll never use that much power though. I can't see Joe Pass and Ella Fitzgerald EVER needing that much power. It's really all about the headroom for me. Lot's of good signal Voltage and a great install is what I'm about.

My crossover point is going to be closer to 10K on the pro SEs since those mids I'm using are capable of over 7 octaves of good usable range. That's where the magic happens...the mid range!