Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Question about tires..

So just a question about rubber. My tires that came factory on my 08 Yaris are almost done for after only 65,000KM. I've just bought new winter tires and rims recently however will definitely be in the need of new tires for the summer months as of next year. With that said, for just basic rubber for the dry months is it cheaper just to buy all season tires or an actual summer tire? Whats the best bang for the buck? I will need 15's and just want to get something thats good on dry or wet roads and not concerned with subzeros temps given the fact they will be switched out for the winter months. Performance is also not an issue give the fact that its a Yaris. :) Just wanted to basically know what the best bang for my buck as far as getting a replacement set of 15" rubber.
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i think the Falken Ziex ZE-512 are good on wet. You can also take alook at the Michelin Hydroedge...

Anyways.. the large groove in the middle of the tire helps on wet. Hope that helps with your choice.

All season tires tend to be cheaper than summer only tires. But you run all season on 2 or 3 seasons only anyways.. which you do the same for summer tires.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
white_rice

Thanks man. So by the sounds of it I'm probably better of just grabbing a set of all season tires.. will keep my eyes peeled on the flyers for deals over the months.

Cheers!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I have a set of the 512's and feel the Proxes 4 by Toyo tires are better in the rain. The Toyo Extensa HP's are about the same as the 512's but the Falkens can be bought cheaper.

The problem is I find the rubber on the 512's can get hard if you do some spirited driving and then they're not really grippy in the wet. With the Proxes 4's I feel the compound stays in better shape longer.
Out here in Vancouver it does rain alot and so I'm always looking for a great wet weather performance tire. In the summers in Ontario you could probably just get a set of good summer tires since you already have winters and rims.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
IllusionX

I am currently driving on yokohama S.Drive's... i guess they cost a little more than the Toyo's and the falkens

i liked the way they handled on wet.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I don’t have a particular recommendation. To answer your question I would divide the manufactures tread ware rating by the final cost of each tire. This estimate would give a general idea of which tire gives the most miles for the money.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
IllusionX

ahh.. don't do that.

a huge treadwear = less grip.

ie, some goodyear tires have a treadwear rating of 760 or even 800. You don't get much grip on dry with those.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
fuzion hri's are nice....had them in 14" at one point

falken 512's are nice, but i hear they wear quick....912's are better
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
white_rice

Adam, would you recommend I just pick up some all season tires for my stock 15's since I have dedicated winters, or would it be roughly the same cost to get some summer tires?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
id get high performance all-seasons if you can

i find they're not THAT much more than boring "no-seasons" and generally worth any additional monies due to increased smiles
Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
ahh.. don't do that.

a huge treadwear = less grip.

ie, some goodyear tires have a treadwear rating of 760 or even 800. You don't get much grip on dry with those.
Goodyear / Lowgrip
I'm not sure what the rating is on my OEM Goodyear LS tires is but they have unbelievably poor dry grip. I've never heard so much ABS chatter on dry roads.
Oddly, they're good in the wet but at the same time horrendously useless, downright scary on the slightest hint of snow.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote