Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
DESIGNZIT

Drives: 2008 YARIS LIFTBACK
Cool Has anyone gotten PULSTAR pulse-plugs yet?

Can anyone tell me more about the Pulstar pulse spark plugs? ...... Are they worth it at $25 each and do they enhance performance and gas mileage as their ads say.........Their website is PULSTAR.COM ......Let me know if you think they are worth the money or not....and do they damage the engine?...
DESIGNZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
never tried them, but have heard good things such as a few hp (1-3 hp), and a cleaner more efficient fuel burn . i think they would be more beneficial if you had some plasma coils like the ones from okada to complement. problem is thats another $800
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I have them in the xB.... I have noticed some improvement, but no more than lightened pulleys, and intake or exhaust.... so if you compare the price to some of these other items $100 is a good buy

I can see with other improvements would amplify the effect of the plugs
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
didnt someone in here have them, something happened, went to the dealer and it voided the warranty... Burnt out the coilplug i think?
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

dang, those are some powerful plugs then! lol how are the warranties on toyotas? do they say anything done will void it or can you modify them without issues? i know its easy for them to prove that plug killing the coil but is toyota pretty lienant?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

well i mean if it is directly related to the issue, they will void it for that instance... like say if i put springs in and then the tie rod went... they would say it was my fault... If i put a supercharger on, engine blew... definately my fault.... but they cant be like oh your windshield washer doesn't work because you put springs in or something stupid...

Some dealers are pretty strict some cool, stay away from strict ones... Expressway Toyota 143
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

ya i know it can void it if its a direct cause but some places have it stated that any mods void it..period. i would hope toyota being able to sell/install/warranty trd parts they would be lieniant on it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

replacing your spark plugs can not void your warranty

read the magnuson moss
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

i believe that they can say in your buyers agreement that any mods will void it and it will. if it is not clearly stated then the mag-moss wins! i love mag-moss :)

ive never had that issue come up though but thats what ive heard.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
Pulstar plug problem

Yes guys and gals, I was that someone with the pulstar plug problem. I installed them, and definitely felt a performance gain. My car had a little more pickup and ran amazingly smooth ..... UNTIL.... Six weeks later I went to start my car up after work and it began sputtering and the check engine light came on. My immediate thoughts were that it wasn't firing on all four cylinders. Good thing the toyota dealership is only three blocks from work. I left my car at work got it to the dealership the next morning and received a call a few hours later telling me that my "high performance plugs" and caused one of my coils to burn out. The repair bill was $330 for the labor, four factory spark plugs, and a new coil.

About 10 days later I received a call from Interpulse asking me about my satisfaction with my Pulstar Pulse Plugs. I told them what had happened and my disappointment with their product. Customer service then responded my issueing me a check for the repair on my vehicle. They didn't refund my original purchase on the plugs but they did pay to fix my car. I must say I was impressed !!

So... with my experience I say, "Don't put them in your Yaris". You're running a risk. You may be ok, but don't count on it. You could get stranded with a burnt coil and a check engine light mishap.
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

maybe with upgraded coil packs it would work... but i am glad that they did refund your money....
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

at least they paid for your car. that was mighty nice. :) ive always wanted to try them out but if i do ill upgrade to coils first.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I have them in my Yaris. They seem OK, but not worth the money. I had them in My 2002 Odyssey that is sold now. I had to take them out and return them to Enerpulse because they were causing all sorts of bucking and other weird issues. I put the original NGKs back in an problems were gone.

Enerpulse said the plugs were too hot and sent me 6 more that I promptly sold on ebay for $20.00/each since I was selling the Odyssey.

My brother has them in his xB and also says it runs smooth and seems to have some more pep as well.

I will not be touching the plugs in my Fit for 2 reasons. The MPGs I don't think can be improved upon, and they plugs are going to be a royal pain to get to, unless the wiper cowl/shroud comes off easily.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

actually mpgs on any gas powered car can be improved upon..just how much is the question (and is it worth it to get there). by using these plugs (assuming they will not start to foul out) they burn the fuel more completely therefore producing more power and furthermore reducing the amount of throttle you will have to input to get your response. the end result is more mpg. a big reason that you see carbon deposits is because a gas car only burns roughly 60% of its fuel.

were starting to put some hydrogen units on some trucks here at work which are diesel semi trucks. weve actually seen 20% gains in fuel mileage with these units, which for a trucker is downright incredible. some of our major fleet customers such as averitt and first fleet will be able to save 10,000 at least in fuel PER TRUCK per year. not to mention they put out zero emissions with hydrogen injection. were actually talking with a company who is going to produce car kits for the public as well and they are friggin sweet. imagine 75-80mpg from your yaris at least. who knows how high it can go..they got 60 from a subaru wrx wagon, and im getting almost 35 highway in my lincoln.

but as to is it worth it to get these plugs for a passenger car..probably not worth it by itself.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

Drives: '07 Sedan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OKADA...QQcmdZViewItem

US $698.25 for Okada Projects Plasma Coils to handle the extra power the Pulstar Sparks need.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

okada makes great products too! those are the upgraded coils i was referring to.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #17
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Good find, anyone with turbo or supercharging will benefit even more with a stronger spark. But multiple sparks will shorten the life of the plugs big time.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #18
Black Yaris
der Zeck

I call BS on Toyota there.... if you actually read about the pulse plugs they do not require any more from the coil than a standard plug.... it has the same input into the plug, the "pulse" is generated within the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegerm View Post
Yes guys and gals, I was that someone with the pulstar plug problem. I installed them, and definitely felt a performance gain. My car had a little more pickup and ran amazingly smooth ..... UNTIL.... Six weeks later I went to start my car up after work and it began sputtering and the check engine light came on. My immediate thoughts were that it wasn't firing on all four cylinders. Good thing the toyota dealership is only three blocks from work. I left my car at work got it to the dealership the next morning and received a call a few hours later telling me that my "high performance plugs" and caused one of my coils to burn out. The repair bill was $330 for the labor, four factory spark plugs, and a new coil.

About 10 days later I received a call from Interpulse asking me about my satisfaction with my Pulstar Pulse Plugs. I told them what had happened and my disappointment with their product. Customer service then responded my issueing me a check for the repair on my vehicle. They didn't refund my original purchase on the plugs but they did pay to fix my car. I must say I was impressed !!

So... with my experience I say, "Don't put them in your Yaris". You're running a risk. You may be ok, but don't count on it. You could get stranded with a burnt coil and a check engine light mishap.