Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
DarkKnigh2060

Drives: 2007 Yaris - Hatchback
burning smell

Hey everybody. I just had a quick question about my Yaris. It's an 2007 HB, automatic transmission, with 66k miles. When I go over 90 mph I get this burning smell. Anyone know what that means?

And yes, I know the obvious solution is to not go that fast, but I was just wondering if it was something I should be concerned with.

Thanks!
DarkKnigh2060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
No Joke, my wife got mine to do that once (09 5 dr Auto) passing a bunch of cars on a huge hill at about 80 mph. She has a much heavier foot than I do! Anyway, when she finally backed off the smell went away and I could find absolutely nothing wrong with the car. I actually chocked it up to the exhaust getting hotter than normal but I honestly don't know. She hasn't driven since, so I may never smell it again until she does. She kills my FE avg!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
my sedan can go 80 mph on cruise control for 5 hours straight with no problems and no burn smell, and still gets 37mpg at that speed.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

I'm sure it will, but I was referring to a hill that is very steep and a couple miles long-right to the floor for several minutes straight.

Maybe the smell came from another car.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
OtownYaris

Drives: Meteorite Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to OtownYaris Send a message via Yahoo to OtownYaris
One of the few times I got my Yaris over 80-ish I remember smelling a sulphur odor. When I got out it was coming from the tailpipe so my guess is the catalytic convertor. I've read that happens when the fuel mixture is too rich. If that's what you're smelling I'd say you're probably ok. That happened to me over 3 years ago and no issues.
OtownYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
if ur car is not use to being "beat on" (mine is very use to it), when u do finally push it the carbon build up in the heads and exhaust will burn off and give off an odor as the mixture needs to adjust.

also i have found some A\T giving a funny burning smell when high rev\resistance shifts are required. in my experiences this is a event that will only occur 2 or 3 times (my personal experiences with a camry)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Thanks guys. I always suspected it was exhaust related in my case, but couldn't prove it.
-The Fitful One

Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We too have a very steep hill to climb and sometimes get the smell as well . It's the plastic intake manifold . Soon as you notice the smell, pull off to the side of the road ( if possible ) , pop the hood , and smell the plastic intake manifold . That could be the source of the scent . Especially occurs under hard excelleration .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #9
DarkKnigh2060

Drives: 2007 Yaris - Hatchback
I live in a pretty flat area (Houston, TX) so I don't really have to climb hills. I can go 80 just fine, but I almost never push it up to 90 but the two times that I have the smell came in. It stopped as soon as I slowed back down.
DarkKnigh2060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #10
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
That happens to me too if I take on the hill for too long with high rev.
Next time if you have to take on uphill for a much longer time, try to lower your rev when you take on the uphill then you should be fine.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 AM   #11
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I'm pretty sure the burning smell is the engine burning off built up carbon from regular use. Think of it like a stream collecting sediment, the stream being your engine and the sediment being carbon. During a flood (high rev/use/throttle what have you) the increase in water volume will wash away all the buiilt up sediment leaving the riverbed as clear as before.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
I have noticed this with my wifes 2010 LB, when I punch the gas there is a burning smell, and monday we taking it the dealer to see what's up, keep you guys posted
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I'm pretty sure the burning smell is the engine burning off built up carbon from regular use. Think of it like a stream collecting sediment, the stream being your engine and the sediment being carbon. During a flood (high rev/use/throttle what have you) the increase in water volume will wash away all the buiilt up sediment leaving the riverbed as clear as before.
It's the plastice intake manifold . Several times when this occurred I pulled off to the side of the road , popped the hood , and followed my nose ( ) to locate the source , that being the manifold .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote