Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
netz2008

Drives: 2008 hatchback
Homemade short shifter

I guess this would be better under cosmetic mods. I balked at the idea of spending over $100 on a shorter shifter, even though I wanted the shift knob to be lower. So I went to a welding shop, cut an inch out of the middle of the shift stalk myself, and had them weld the two pieces back together - 1.5" shorter. Cost me $25, and I'm very pleased with the result
netz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Uh, that's not a technically a "short shifter"... The "short" part is referring to reducing the distance between gears while shifting.

But hey, if it works for you, good deal.

Quote:
What is a short shifter?

The desired effect of a short shifter is to reduce the distance your hand needs to move to engage the next gear, thus reducing the amount of time spent shifting, reducing wasted time between shifts, and resulting in improved performance. A common misconception in the tuning world is that a short shifter is just a chopped off version of the stock shifter. In fact, chopping your shifter has no effect on the angle that your shifter shaft travels through between gears and therefore does not reduce the shifter's angular throw.

A true short shifter decreases throw by reducing the angle that the shifter shaft travels through during its stroke between gears. By reducing the angle that the shaft travels through between gears, the distance that your hand needs to move between gears is also reduced. In many cases, the shifter shaft is also re-designed to be shorter than stock thus creating a sportier look and feel, as well as aiding in reducing the linear throw length when coupled with the reduced angular throw.

The geometry of a short shifter differs from the stock shifter in order to reduce the distance that the upper section where your shift knob threads on needs to move to achieve the same degree of movement in the lower section where the shift rod or shifter cables attach. This ensures that although your hand is moving a shorter distance, the transmission is still fully engaged in every gear. The main pivot point, or fulcrum of the shifter lever is re-positioned on the shaft in such a way that the lower section which connects to the shift rod or shifter cables is longer than stock, resulting in the desired effect.

The end result is a shorter, more precise shift, which requires a shorter hand movement to engage the next gear, and looks and feels sportier than the unsightly long shifter shaft most cars come stock with.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S

lol jk

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
netz2008

Drives: 2008 hatchback
lol I knew the difference. I probably should have specified - I meant a short shifter stalk :P I already have a TRD short shifter in the engine bay, and this complements it subtly but nicely.
netz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
You must have some seriously long arms to be able to reach that much farther down in 5th gear.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I did the same thing a few years back and love it.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Some people like the shifter lower. From a racing standpoint, it should be closer to the wheel, not farther away, but that's just my perspective.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I actually want mine to be shorter, like how the NA Miata's shifter was (at least mine was). haha
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
33OH

My NA Miata has a tiny shifter, even shorter than my cut Yaris one. There is a very sporty feel to a shorter shifter, even if it is impractical. :)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
My NA Miata has a tiny shifter, even shorter than my cut Yaris one. There is a very sporty feel to a shorter shifter, even if it is impractical. :)
That's because the center console is much higher. On the Miata, the console is higher than the seats, thus why a short boot/stalk are ok. On the Yaris, the center console is on the floor. It's a cosmetic thing. . .

As it is, the Yaris shifter is already pretty low, and a long reach from the wheel. I find it annoying how you can bang into the passenger's knee on certain gears (5th for LHD, 1st for RHD).
Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd

VS

Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
33OH

Yes the console is definitely a lot higher, I have both vehicles. But it does feel sporty with such a short shifter.

And I don't hit the passenger's knee anymore in 5th (LHD) since my shifter is chopped to the floor. :)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
...I find it annoying how you can bang into the passenger's knee on certain gears.
I hate when that happens! Outta my way, passenger!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote