Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
Yaris LB S

Man, you know what would be cool? A yaris LB S. I see that the yaris sedan s, and the corolla s get body kits. Why cant the toyota come out with a LB with a body kit? I mean this car is more of a auto-X-R or track racing car, than the sedan. With all of the overseas racing in their vitz racing, it would be kinda of cool. Just my opinion.
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Just put an "S" badge and buy the kaminari body kit ^^
Old 04-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
weaponrcamry

yea, I might think of that. I'm a broke as$ college student now :) But I'll prolly get the s badge. But the summer I will have some modifications. Just waiting for that right moment to start modding my LB. Since my yaris is not my (DD) my 01 camry is(just under 68,000 miles)
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
It just hit me (I'm probably behind the rest of the pack here), but I think I know why there's no LB S, and why the LB doesn't get the tach option in the States. I think Toyota expected the sedan to be the more popular, sporty model. Up until recently, sedans were the cars of choice for trickin' out. Hatches have been gaining popularity, but it may be that Toyota decided it was safer to go with the sedan.

Oops. Their bad.

'Course, I don't know why they wouldn't offer an S for every model... that's one of those mysteries that only the head-honchos understand, I guess.

~YR
Old 04-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Could be laziness too... Any lip/skirt kit from japan or elsewhere would need to be somewhat modified for the US Yaris as it has a deeper rear bumper.

Or, it was so as not to encroach into xA/xB territory, as those are pushed as the "tune 'em up" cheap toyotas...

But yeah like Yaris Revenge said, there's only the top brass at Toyota USA who really know.

I'm glad we get plenty of options over here

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Yaris Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Or, it was so as not to encroach into xA/xB territory, as those are pushed as the "tune 'em up" cheap toyotas...
From rumors over at Scionlife, Scions are quickly leaving the "cheap" range as of 2008. Maybe The Yaris will get better attention then.

~YR
Old 04-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
some markets get the rs model, which is the sportier version
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponrcamry View Post
Man, you know what would be cool? A yaris LB S. I see that the yaris sedan s, and the corolla s get body kits. Why cant the toyota come out with a LB with a body kit? I mean this car is more of a auto-X-R or track racing car, than the sedan. With all of the overseas racing in their vitz racing, it would be kinda of cool. Just my opinion.
doesn't the USA get the RS model, that we get in canada?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
doesn't the USA get the RS model, that we get in canada?
No sir. You're lucky to get power windows on a liftback in the states.

Toyota expected 75% of their sales to be sedans, and another 75% of those to be automatics.

Food for thought... the liftback (at least in the states) was supposed to be the cheapest way to get junior into a new car that got good mileage. In that respect, I'd call it a success.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
someone should import a 5doors yaris hatchback from canada, and bring it all the way south of the states (flordia perhaps)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
weaponrcamry

If you want a yaris 5 door for the us Market, buy the new scion xD. Not to get off topic, but this shares the chasis as the yaris, but more beefed up, and looks good. Should be a major hit, along with the xB sharing the scion tc engine. I dont think the yaris will out sell the xD. Since scion xD is more customizable. This will definitely will give a honda a run for its money. It will destroy the fit in sales.!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Please excuse the post, but the last post made me remember something.

Quote:
If you want a yaris 5 door for the us Market, buy the new scion xD. Not to get off topic, but this shares the chasis as the yaris, but more beefed up, and looks good. Should be a major hit, along with the xB sharing the scion tc engine. I dont think the yaris will out sell the xD. Since scion xD is more customizable. This will definitely will give a honda a run for its money. It will destroy the fit in sales.!!!
Ahh... in order to accurately predict the impact of the new Scions in the American market, a little marketing background can't hurt.

Every successful company started in America and really around the world begins by operating under a certain "code." Lets take Cadillac for example. What do you think of when you think Cadillac? Luxury, smooth ride, ample performance but not a race car... these are the things that make a Caddy. I know because I owned one and to this day I'd argue the late 90's STS as one of the finest automobiles ever made... when it wasn't broken down. Anyway, knowing the basis of the Cadillac brand, isn't it totally mind boggling that they made the Catera? It seemed like a great idea... offer a reasonably-priced, entry-level Cadillac to lure younger buyers into their formula. Hopefully, then, down the road when they have fiscally outgrown the Catera they will end up in a larger, more upscale model. Well, the Catera was a total flop. Why? It was OFF-CODE. If you take a marketing class, you will hear that term. When auto makers stray too far from the original plan, it usually doesn't end well.

The problem I have with Scion's new offerings is the same problem I have with Cadillac's Catera. They are off-code. Scion is supposed to be the young person's way to get into a Toyota at a reasonable price with low overhead. That means good gas mileage. Now, consider the new round of Scions are going to be inevitably priced higher than their predecessors... and we all know nothing in this country is getting any cheaper right now. It is quite the opposite. More expensive, heavier cars with larger engines that make more power while getting lackluster gas mileage... this is not what Scion should be. They are getting off-code. The question is will it affect sales? I honestly think the negative effects will be marginal just because of the stellar brand image Scion has built from day one. The styling of the two new cars is decidedly on-code, and that may save their asses. Only time will tell.

For anyone interested in how these businesses really work, here is a link to a free online episode of Frontline entitled "The Persuaders." This was required viewing for the marketing and advertising gurus working for my Mom's company. Trust me when I say that this show takes an extremely good look at marketing in America.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ws/persuaders/
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Yaris Revenge

Awesome post, Chino! Same problem that bit Saturn in the ass and has caused them to flounder ever since.

~YR
Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I don't think Scion will last though this new change
Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #15
Yaris Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I don't think Scion will last though this new change
I tend to agree. They're deviating from the "success formula" WAY too soon, and the price point they'll be entering is VERY competitive.

Why is everyone so afraid to stick with making well-built economy cars, especially when sales numbers PROVE it's what the customers want??? Saturn's been reeling ever since the price hike and final demise of the S models.

~YR