Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
tomsimmons82

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris Icon 1.33VVT
Lightbulb Intro and request for help

Hi I'm a newbie around here and wanted to introduce myself and request some information

I have a 15 Plate Toyota Yaris Icon 1.33vvt-i (1NR-FE) in the solid factory chilli red. I'll upload some pictures when its not dark, raining and the cars been cleaned lol

I've had the car about 6 months and done about 3k miles so far and its time to address some of the issues with the car mainly the handling.

I've ordered a Whiteline swaybar as it's a lot cheaper then the TRD and Cusco in the UK and depending on the results I'll order some Eibach lower springs as well.

what I would also like to do is replace the short, narrow air intake to the air box with a proper cold air intake. To enable me to do this does anyone know the external diameter of the air intake on the air box port as I don't have the tools to measure it correctly myself? I've attached a picture to help identify the part I'm looking to replace. It is just pushed onto the air box intake and then hose clipped to secure it.

Any help would be Awesome and ill return the favour with details and pics of my cold air intake once its finished and if it actually works or makes any difference?

Cheers

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axio_0039.jpg (253.3 KB, 39 views)
tomsimmons82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Gagi

Drives: Yaris 1.33 vvti 2015
I can tell you quickly what I did.
Purple path is heat insulated hose that goes to air inlet shown with the arow.
Since my car is under the warranty I can't mess with complete mod of intake.
What you can get is better response on warm weather and higher fuel consumption.
On summer days when outside temp was 35 Celsius, intake air temp was 60 degrees. And on the open road it never vent below 48.
With that hose I got max 45 and on the open road I got the same as the outside temperature.
On winter, (without that hose) you have just 2 or 3 degrees more than what you see on the dash. So to reduce fuel consumption and raise the intake temp, I clogged the air intake hole under the hood.
When outside was -3 I got plus 8 on the intake.
That intake (factory) is a result of research how to decrease MPG.
Fuel consumption is really lower with hot air intake, as well as the power of the engine.
Axio_0039a.jpg

Last edited by Gagi; 02-22-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Gagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
tomsimmons82

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris Icon 1.33VVT
Hi Gagi thanks for the info

My idea is almost identical to yours run a heat shielded hose from the air box and mate it to the back of the grill and then to replace the paper filter with a K&N type panel filter in the air box. I just need to grab the diameters of the air box intake so can order the correct hose?

There are a few pulled 1NR FE motors on eBay might email the sellers and see if one of them will measure for me?
tomsimmons82 is offline   Reply With Quote