Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Front Speakers Suddenly Not Working

I alternate between driving my Yaris and my Jeep to work, so when I hopped into my 08 hatchback earlier this week I noticed the stereo didn't sound right. Turns out there's no sound coming out of either of the front speakers. I checked the fader and it was set to '0,' and when I set it forward there was no sound at all.

I have the stock head unit and have made no modifications to it. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions as to what I could check before replacing anything. Also, how hard is it to take the center console off?

Cheers! M2
Old 12-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
MadMax

Anyone? I'm thinking I'll have to replace the head unit. Does that sound right?
Old 12-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Most likely HU. If it was a speaker or damaged wire issue it would likely only effect one corner.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
outwrdbound

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr hatch MT
OP, please post back and let us know if replacing the HU did the trick. I have this exact same issue on my 2009 Yaris HB. BTW, the centre console was very easy to remove, only took a few minutes. All the wiring was secure, I am guessing its the HU in mine as well. Rear speakers work just fine....
outwrdbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
MadMax

Will do. It will probably be mid-January before I can even get to it, things are just too busy over the holidays and I am on the road the first week of the month (actually, to where you are!).

Cheers! M2
Old 01-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
MadMax

Just ordered one of these (a T1807) off eBay for $38 delivered, and I'll be replacing it once it arrives...

Updates to follow!

Cheers! M2
Old 01-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
outwrdbound

Awesome! Thanks for keeping us posted!! :)
Old 01-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
MadMax

Well, there's bad news and more bad news...

First, I did get the T1807 head unit I won off eBay from Discount Radios today, and it is an easy swap for the factory unit; but I am still not getting any sound in the two front speakers.

To make matters even worse, the auxiliary option on the T1807 isn't working either. I was going to keep it installed, but without the auxiliary for my MP3 player there's no reason to.

Just to add, this unit, while nicer than the stock Yaris unit, isn't much of an improvement sound-wise. Max volume is still weak, but the T1807 has a few options for pre-loaded sound adjustment.

By the way, I just noticed CTScott stating in another thread that "T1809s are notorious for Aux jack issues." I wish I would've read that before buying this one!

On the plus side it was an quick and easy swap!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-26-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
outwrdbound

So sorry to hear it didn't work. Any other ideas? I have yet to attempt replacing the HU in mine. If I decide to, I'll post back as to whether or not it worked.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #10
MadMax

I think my next course of action will be to remove the door panel on one side and wire another speaker to see if it works. I think they odds of both speakers going out are astronomical, but there's always the chance.

If that doesn't work, then I will admit defeat...

So, that said, how easy is it to access the door speakers in a 2008 hatch?

Cheers! M2
Old 03-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #11
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
So, that said, how easy is it to access the door speakers in a 2008 hatch?
Nevermind. Found it!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2305
Old 03-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #12
MadMax

OK, it was a good plan but not without its faults...

I got the door panel off no problem (although it does take more than 30 seconds! ), but once I got to the speaker I realized 1) I had no idea how to remove it and 2) unless I wanted to cut the connector, there was no way I was going to test the line to see if it worked.

So where does that leave me know? Well, I am going to post a WTB ad to see if anyone has any of the connectors that they cut off their old speakers. If/when I get one, I can wire it to an old speaker I have and then connect the other end to the one above the speaker.

Obviously this will probably take a few weeks to accomplish, I won't be able to get time to work on it during March due to other "chores" (taxes being one of them); but that's about the only thing I can think of to do.

Of course, I am open to any suggestions!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Just jump AA battery across the terminals used for the speakers that would plug into the back of the head unit. you should hear them click and make scratchy sounds if you rub the wire on the battery.

It's also the easiest way to test polarity by looking what way the speaker moves.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote