Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Sinaz

Drives: 07 Liftback
My Upgrade Schedule/Log

I just picked up my new Yaris liftback on Saturday, and have been enjoying it as a stock 5-speed manual.

I was astonished (after owning a VW) how cheap the TRD and aftermarket part world is for these things. So, I'm creating a upgrade schedule. I would be interested in opinions on the best order of install, what should be installed together, what I should (re)consider, etc. Correct any of my idiot ideas, too.

Current Plan (to be installed item by item)
Incidentals and due-bill installs
  • Power door locks + keyless entry + alarm<install:05/18/07>
  • Aftermarket power window kit (purchased)
  • Optional arm rest
  • Aftermarket tach
round 1, suspension and wheels:
  • TRD suspension kit + springs
  • Front and rear sway bars
  • 18inch alloys
  • Brakes (need recommendations)
round 2, engine and intake/exhaust
  • Crank Pulley
  • SRI + open exhaust
round 3, body and trim
  • Rear spoiler
  • Conservative sport trim
  • New front seats (stock ones are um... plain.)
  • Paint/ vinyls
  • Tinted Windows <install:05/17/07>

So, the idea is that I'll save for one or two parts at a time... purchase and install... anything I can't install will go to my mechanic for an install (who has expressed interest in working on my Yaris). I figure I should be able to hit one of these items about every month or two. I was also thinking about waiting for the first year of my warranty to pass... but if the TRD stuff will bolt on without effecting my warranty, then I'll commit to the upgrades as soon as I can afford them.

I'm looking to make my Yaris a little sportier, a little more fun to drive... without turning it into a garish ricer.

The thing that gives me the most pause, and thankfully is low on the list, is the sport trim/ body kit. Those things are wicked expensive. I'd be happy with a simple trim to flare out some of the bubbliness of the bumpers. But handling and performance first.

Ok... hi Yaris world! I'm new! Two days of driving my Yaris and I already love it! Look forward to becoming a part of this community... and I'm here to learn. This is my first car that actually has some affordable modding potential.

Last edited by Sinaz; 05-22-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: updated!
Sinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Instead of rice I would go for mileage enhancements.

1) Pump your tires up to a minimum of the max sidewall pressure.
2) Get the junk out of the trunk (literally).
3) K&N panel air filter (no need for a CAI).
4) Window tint (so you run the AC less).
5) Sun blocker for the windshield (so you run the AC less).
6) Solar trickle charger (so the alternator doesn't clutch so hard most of the time).
7) Engine block heater (so the engine never runs rich at high revs on a cold start).
8) Roll your own grill blocks and engine blanket for the winter time (so your engine stays warmer).
9) A TerraPass to offset the carbon your car still puts off.
10 Watch for the comprehensive post I'm compiling for maximizing your mileage driving a Yaris.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Sinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

6) Solar trickle charger (so the alternator doesn't clutch so hard most of the time).
7) Engine block heater (so the engine never runs rich at high revs on a cold start).
8) Roll your own grill blocks and engine blanket for the winter time (so your engine stays warmer).
10 Watch for the comprehensive post I'm compiling for maximizing your mileage driving a Yaris.
Goly gee willicers, that sounds swell!

And though I'll address some of these things (like the sun screen which I just picked up today) I do want to maximize the enjoyment I get from driving the car on top of the piece of mind I'll get as the car just sits there not soaking up sun, in turn charging the battery, and idling warm...

Thanks, though... I guess.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
decide the most important; performance/looks. do much searchin here. It is a valuable tool in the mods you may want. take your time and spend the cash wisely
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Sinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
decide the most important; performance/looks. do much searchin here. It is a valuable tool in the mods you may want. take your time and spend the cash wisely
Thanks... my schedule is based on priority I used for my motorcycle... working with stability and handling before moving on to power... then body work.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
drop the bitch, add sways/coils / blitz it out/ jdm tails, that easy
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinaz View Post
I just picked up my new Yaris liftback on Saturday, and have been enjoying it as a stock 5-speed manual.

My girlfriend insisted I name her... my girlfriend has a thing about christening vehicles... so my Yaris is named Tasha... get it? Right... I expected to be dodging vegetables on that one.

I was astonished (after owning a VW) how cheap the TRD and aftermarket part world is for these things. So, I'm creating a upgrade schedule. I would be interested in opinions on the best order of install, what should be installed together, what I should (re)consider, etc. Correct any of my idiot ideas, too.

Current Plan (to be installed item by item)
Incidentals and due-bill installs
  • Power door locks + keyless entry + alarm (due bill)
  • Aftermarket power window kit
  • Optional arm rest
  • Aftermarket tach
round 1, suspension and wheels:
  • TRD suspension kit + springs
  • Front and rear sway bars
  • 18inch alloys
  • Brakes (need recommendations)
round 2, engine and intake/exhaust
  • TRD cold air kit + TRD sport exhaust
  • (What is the crank pulley for?)
round 3, body and trim
  • Rear spoiler
  • Conservative sport trim
  • New front seats (stock ones are um... plain.)
  • Paint/ vinyls
in round 2 there are much better options for the intake and the exaust, our Yaris seems to preform much better with a short ram set-up... I am actually selling my TuRD intake for a short ram. For the exhaust there are MANY better options and I am sure there will be even more by the time you are ready to install... Megan has a header out now (which is a must), they have a mid-pipe and axle-back in 2 or 2.25 being R & Ded right now, they said will be out this summer... This set-up should be much better preforming, and at a similar price as the choked down 1.5 TuRD Axle back exhaust
and the crank pullt is for a less rotational mass at the crank to free up some HP and MPG
other misc tidbits of info, swap over to synthetic oil in your engine and trans as soon as you are comfortable doing so, you will see some increased MPG

and do not ever listen to this guy
.......l
.......l
.......l
......\/
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

and just to say again don't ever listen to BailOut if you want to customize your ride
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM   #8
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Bailout has some good ideas; his post in this thread is just a little off-topic and unwarranted... What can you say, he's a "hypermiler" who tries to get the best possible MPG's. It's cool, just not everyone purchased their Yaris for that reason.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Sinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Bailout has some good ideas; his post in this thread is just a little off-topic and unwarranted... What can you say, he's a "hypermiler" who tries to get the best possible MPG's. It's cool, just not everyone purchased their Yaris for that reason.
Well, I could push my Yaris to work... then I'd get redonkulous mileage!!!

But that wouldn't be any fun!

@Black Yaris, thanks for the tips... I'll keep in mind the ram air and full exhaust system. Luckily those are a ways away.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Sinaz

I just had my windows tinted by Shade the Rays in Thousand Oaks, CA.

They did a great job, 18% around the back windows, 35% front windows, and 18% sun-visor on windsheild. Looks like limo tinting, and with the silver body, makes the window lines really pop. Also hides most of the interior shapes keeping the focus on the body.

Original quote: $195 / $175 cash.

Adjusted quote after requesting the sun-visor: $195 cash.

Paid: $200 (keep the change, job well done!)

All tints are warranted for life and guaranteed legal - using quality filtered mylar - 99% UV block, no dyes. The guys who did it said they just had a customer with one of their 8-year old tint jobs come by to have the guys inspect it for fading... said the tinting still looked new.

I'll get some pics up soon as I can get my car, digital camera, and sun to show up in the same place.

Also, I put in an appointment for a Python security system + power locks + keyless entry + hatch pop... will have that installed tomorrow. I had gone into the dealer to cut the check for the car, and decided I wanted to wave the factory kit in favor of an aftermarket. Did some shopping and found a place that had a good price and a good mission for security installs.

-AND- a SPAL power window kit is en-route. Depending on how I feel, I may defer the install to my mechanic.

I've decided this will be my little modification progress thread. If there is a better place for this thread, I'll ask the mods to move it... just let me know.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Sinaz

I had my new power locks + security system installed on Friday.

Original quote was $629.

After install, labor and parts, total was $669.

I now have a Python security system. Both door locks and hatch lock are powered including remote hatch pop as well as a release button in the cabin and a master lock rocker-switch; both in the center console. Two-stage impact sensor, as well as an LED indicator with zone code alarm reports.

The guys I went with were the only shop who talked extensively about properly hiding the alarm kit. They disassembled my bumper, removed my headlight, and most of my air filter to get to a good point on my chassis to hide the siren. All cables are bundled with the factory cables, and the override switch is in a peculiar place.

I have to say, I would have liked a switch-kit designed for power locks or trunk pop, and may have to purposefully get some later on... because the switch and button they used are pretty plain and give no indication of their function. They were, at least, cleanly installed into knock-outs.

Another thing that I'm debating with the hatch pop is installing a spring-loaded plunger. As it is, the hatch-pop is more of a simple release, and the hatch won't open enough to clear the latch... so you've got to be at the ready when you pop the hatch, otherwise there is little point. On the upside, it will prevent an accidental hatch-pop from flinging the hatch open on the freeway.

I do like that the locks engage on engine start-up, and disengage on shut-down.

All in all, a good clean install and very professional crew.

Install was performed by Auto Essentials in Thousand Oaks, CA.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
bassbaby10

Drives: Red 2007 Toyota Yaris
Sounds like a good plan. Hope you won't over-do your Yaris, dude.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Sinaz, you need the ZPI Turbo kit! You seem to have lots of ca$h! I would get one in a minute if I had extra money!

But I'm married with 2 kids and paying off a hefty ticket right now.

My next upgrade will be a loud as shit horn!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
Sinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Sinaz, you need the ZPI Turbo kit! You seem to have lots of ca$h! I would get one in a minute if I had extra money!

But I'm married with 2 kids and paying off a hefty ticket right now.

My next upgrade will be a loud as shit horn!
I don't have lots of cash... this quick round of upgrades came because I chose, at the last minute, to wave the power locks package at the dealership. I pretty much waved it the day I went in with the check to buy the car... so I'm essentially burning through the $1000 dollars change I got from the decision. The sticker price of the power locks afforded me a complete power package from the aftermarket.

The next modification... probably the springs... I will begin saving for after my vacation this September. So, I've pretty much done all I'm going to do for a while. The important thing, though, is to have the schedule. To have goals. And to make sure their priority is such that the modification of the car is safe. Hence, stability before power.

@bassbaby10: I don't plan on overdoing it... I want the car to be fun to drive, and just a tad unique to look at.