Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Nelo412
Intermediate'ie

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Post Sound system upgrade 2013 Yaris (South African spec)

Hi all,

So, I'm relatively new to the forum so let me first start by introducing myself.
My name is Neloshen (Nelo is fine), I'm from South Africa, (now, for those who think we have lions running around our back yards, yeah the occasional one... just kidding )

So guys, I have been doing a lot of research lately as I am looking at upgrading the standard sound system I'm my car.
I have a 2013 Toyota Yaris (Vitz spec in USA).
I am looking to change the factory head unit to an Alpine CDE-183BT, add additional amplifiers (Digital Designs C5c, still doing my homework for a decent sub amp), a set of splits up front and co's out back, with a 12" or 2X 10".
I want to go the SQ route as I have had my "bass head" days (good memories)...

Trouble is I want everything to function as stock would for example the steering wheel controls, the wiring loom to the head unit (I don't want to cut or splice any stock cabling).

I would highly appreciate any productive input from anyone that has the same model or anyone at all who has anything to share regarding this dilemma of mine.

Thanks in advance and keep it banging
Nelo412
Nelo412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
juicyjosh

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE MT
Nelo412,

Steering wheel controls

Companies make steering wheel adaptors that allow you to use the steering wheel controls with certain decks, so you can choose a deck that has this functionality.

Components

Regarding components, it's generally a good idea to make sure there's an airtight seal between the woofer and the adaptor/door (You can use rubber foam for this.) Also covering any holes in the door helps with tighter midbass from the woofers. I've used Dynamat in the past to help seal things up.

Subwoofer(s)

If you install a subwoofer in the trunk, there's going to be some rattling and noise issues, so if your goal is SQ, you might consider adding some sound deadening material back there.

I actually avoided that whole area entirely, built this, and left it in the center of the car (which is the strongest, tightest part of the car, between the high strength steel B-pillars):

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...293#post783293 ...There are no rattles, and I didn't have to buy any Dynamat or spend time installing it.

Whatever you choose to do, the general suggestion is to do it right the first time. You'll be happier over the long term and won't need to spend time re-doing it later.

Hope this information helps spark some ideas. Good luck with your project.
juicyjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:47 AM   #3
badwolff
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris
pity your'e in durbs.
Am driving a 09 Yaris hatch and also have upgraded my sound.
Also looking to go the SQ'ish route.
my system comprises of the following:
Alpine 178BT or clarion DXZ785USB(alternating between the two)
Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4
Hertz HSK 165 splits upfront
Mmats P2.5 12" in a custom enclosure

Its still a work in progress buts sounds pretty decent.

I would strongly suggest the sound deadening.
I have only my front doors and boot done.

Do have an issue with the backboard rattling but am looking to change that too.
badwolff is offline   Reply With Quote