Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
pigpenracing

Drives: 2007 hatchback
Yaris towing

Why can't a yaris tow? Everyone seems to be ragging on the guy below becaose he bought a hitch. I have a 2007 liftback lowered with 18 inch wheels. I put an the hidden hitch and rear airbags so it don't squat with a trailer. I have a 5x8 trailer and pull 2 YZ 125 dirtbikes and a 4 wheeler. The car pulls perfect. I pull in 4th gear 80 MPH with no problems. It is a little sluggish in fifth gear unless you run on flat roads then it is fine. My truck used $45.00 in gas going to the MX track and my car only uses $7.00. I guess I am stupid to just like the other guy with a hitch. Some people just don't have a clue and are scared to do something different.
pigpenracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I hauled a recliner in my LB no problems, but tried a couch and wouldn't fit so had to feed the gas monster! Definately getting a hitch and trailer by next spring and get rid if the truck. Payback wouldn't take long at all.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Caldwell

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan (silver)
Does anybody have an idea how much a motorcycle trailer might weigh? I'm hoping to use my Yaris S sedan to tow my CBR600RR sportbike to the track (it weighs about 400 pounds with no gas) and I want to keep the load as light as possible. Is this reasonable? Thanks!

15 Minutes to Riches
eHow
Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
cute_lil_yaris

Drives: Polar White 2007 Yaris LB
Do you think my Yaris HB could tow a jetskii? Im thinking about saving up money and buying a Jetskii for next summer, but I dont really want to buy a truck just to tow it.
cute_lil_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
You're safe up to 700 lbs. including cargo, people, and weight of the trailer. A jetski trailer (one jetski) shouldn't weight that much. In WA state, trailer titles have the weight posted, and the jetski dealer should have the weight of the jetski (the manufacturers website would have this as well.)

I am in the process of moving to a new place about 5 miles away and have a 440lb 4x7 utility trailer for my fiberglass body, 2-person dune buggy/go kart. The buggy weighs at least 300 lbs. I towed it all last night just fine. With all the weight of other stuff in the car and on the trailer I had to have been close to 1,000 lbs. I had to take it slow though because the only way to get the buggy on the trailer is to have the engine at the back, causing the trailer to wobble side to side if I went over 40mph.

Yeah, you should be fine if you keep it at 700 lbs or less. I got my hitch on ebay and the seller even gives you a receiver hitch and pin (but no ball.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention about wiring the harness. There was enough room to push the wires I needed into the stock wiring harness and I didn't need a heavy duty flasher. Even using regular trailer lights my blinkers work normally and I just fed the wires though under the spare tire though a groumet in the floorboard. The hidden hitch looks nice too. The only parts visible is the receiver opening and tow hook spots.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
cute_lil_yaris

Drives: Polar White 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
You're safe up to 700 lbs. including cargo, people, and weight of the trailer. A jetski trailer (one jetski) shouldn't weight that much. In WA state, trailer titles have the weight posted, and the jetski dealer should have the weight of the jetski (the manufacturers website would have this as well.)

I am in the process of moving to a new place about 5 miles away and have a 440lb 4x7 utility trailer for my fiberglass body, 2-person dune buggy/go kart. The buggy weighs at least 300 lbs. I towed it all last night just fine. With all the weight of other stuff in the car and on the trailer I had to have been close to 1,000 lbs. I had to take it slow though because the only way to get the buggy on the trailer is to have the engine at the back, causing the trailer to wobble side to side if I went over 40mph.

Yeah, you should be fine if you keep it at 700 lbs or less. I got my hitch on ebay and the seller even gives you a receiver hitch and pin (but no ball.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention about wiring the harness. There was enough room to push the wires I needed into the stock wiring harness and I didn't need a heavy duty flasher. Even using regular trailer lights my blinkers work normally and I just fed the wires though under the spare tire though a groumet in the floorboard. The hidden hitch looks nice too. The only parts visible is the receiver opening and tow hook spots.
thanks for the info! It helped a LOT!
I figured I would be ok as long as I only tow one jetskii, but wasnt completely sure.
cute_lil_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
umm you may want to think about that jet ski...

a quick search of the net, and using 3 weights i got an average of over 700lbs..

jetski 700lbs.
+trailer weight
+ weight of fuel/oil in jetski
+ weight of passengers/you
+ weight of cargo...

it'll work but your pushing things...
Old 10-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Caldwell

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan (silver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post

Yep, thanks for the info!

15 Minutes to Riches
eHow
Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote