Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Moore

Drives: 2007 yaris 3dr ce
Took my Yaris through the Rockie Mountains this week-end and....

it performed beautifully!!!!!! Took those big hills great. It was awesome!!! Not alot of gas stations from Banff to Jasper, and the one at Lake Louise was lined up with vehicles, and I had tons to spare. A whole week-end of touring from Banff to Jasper, and just about everything in between on less than a tank. I thought all the hill climbing would drastically hurt my mpg, and that at some point I would have to gas up, but nope, still had 3 bars left!! My only gripe is that going down steep hills it kicks out of overdrive and begins to engine break. I can understand it kicking out of overdrive to climb hills, but I'm not crazy about it engine breaking down hills.
Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Really nice to know that your Yaris performs so well, especially in terms of fuel economy!
BTW, my car seems also to have the automatic engine braking feature. As you may also already know, I think it is a character by design.
I regret that I do not have enough time to find some proof from official Toyota publications that the Yaris is designed to perform like that but the following link (from South Africa, I believe) does mention that feature:
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...icleId=3171635
You have to go almost to the bottom of the page to see the relevant information. I believe such a design should have its merits.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
This engine braking in the automatics has been discussed a fair bit here. Do a search and you'll most likely run across threads discussing DFCO... this is a good one.

EDIT: also, coming down outta those rockies, engine braking saves your brake pads & rotors. You really don't wanna be riding your brakes down a 10km hill!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Engine braking and DFCO are a little different....DFCO is a shutoff of fuel to the engine while your foot is off the accelerator (in 3rd and below only with automatics). Sounds like you may have been experiencing what the African article mentioned....coasting downhill with your foot slightly on the brake the tranny shifts to 3rd (and DFCO cuts in). I havn't experienced this yet in my 11,000 miles of driving the Yaris, but I'm going to try tomorrow!!! I have a couple steep hills on my way to work that I normally coast down in neutral lately....but I've never put my foot on the brake in drive before. Interesting if it works, but may make too much drag for my hill!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Yes, I have driven down to Osoyoos, Grandforks area from Vancouver and the drive is wonderful. I've driven this route quite a bit in other cars and I have to say that it was a fun ride in the Yaris. It's not smooth like the longer wheelbase cars that I have, but for fun, fuel efficiency, it's great. It didn't quite have the hp that I was hoping for, but if the gears were a bit better in 4th or it had a 6 speed, I would be able to make better use of the power.

I have tried the automatic when in Toronto and thought this was a great transmission. One of the better ones I have tried matched with the 1nzfe. The automatic in the Echo was a real slushbox compared to the Yaris tranny.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Moore

Cool, thanks for your input, and the links.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
This thread makes me want to plan a trip over some mountains, just so I can count all the gas stations I didn't stop at. I bet it felt great!
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Moore

It sure did
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
I hate the auto tranny engine braking too. It happens in my car on almost every hill. Sure, there is a bonus to it... saves me some brake pads I suppose. But when I am trying to coast at 60km/h down my hill and it keeps slowing me to 40... I end up being tailgated like crazy, so I waste gas pushing the engine backup into higher gears.

When I did my road trip up to lilooet area, it was the same thing but worse, from 100km/h downhill to 40km/h...

It'd be a great feature if it activated only when I touch the brake pedal and it coasted when I just let off the gas. But no, it's downshifting the moment I lift my foot from the accelerator.

Other than that gripe, the yaris performs beautifully on the highways and mountains, which was quite unexpected.
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote