Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
sjones

Drives: Toyota Echo 2005 Hatchback
Wheelskin Perforated

I decided to order a wheelskin for my Toyota Echo. The one I chose is black (top/bottom) with perforated sides that are charcoal. I will receive it in a week or two. I am deciding how to install the cover to make it both feel comfortable and also look good. I notice that not many people install it with the small section up (see pic 1). I see almost all installations look like pic 2. Note these pictures are photoshopped with the charcoal color. I used Iggy888's awesome picture in the thread http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=498466

The reason I was thinking of installing it in the former is that when my hands are at the driving position (10 and 2) I won't be gripping at the seams. Any thoughts on which method looks good as well as is also comfortable. Does the perforation have a functional use in helping improve grip? If it does, wouldn't it make sense to have it where you keep your hands the most during driving?

Pic 1

Pic 2
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
you are over-thinking it. that design wants small section down as in the second pic.

top picture is all sorts of wrong
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
sjones

Drives: Toyota Echo 2005 Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
you are over-thinking it. that design wants small section down as in the second pic.

You say it's wrong but you don't say why? What makes you believe that it's wrong?
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I days past, the accepted correct postion for the hands was at 10 and 2 'oclock.

However, with the addition of (driver's side) airbags, it is now said to be at about 8 and 4 'oclock and steering wheels are now designed to reflect this.
This is to help prevent potential injury if the front airbag deploys.

In the first pic, your thumbs would be resting on the top on the cross spokes while your hands are gripping the seams.
If you look closely at the wheel, you can see the indented portion where you thumb is intended to rest
Also your hands would be constantly gripping the top seams when turning "hand over hand".

So the second pic installation would make more sense.

Last edited by RedRide; 09-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it just looks wrong?

but sjones has a point, though, you'd want perforated leather as it "breathes", but in the normal configurations, with your hands at 10 and 2 you're holding to plain leather.

Honestly, just try it out that way, if for some reason it doesn't feel right, just flip it around and see if it's any worse?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post

+1. You have on your steering wheel a wider part of the hub (top), and a skinnier spoke on the bottom. Having the Wide part of the cover towards the skinny spoke on the bottom just doesn't look right.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Pic 2 looks right to me, and if I ever got around to getting one, I'd put the cover on that way. But, I suppose that you could put it on the other way if you felt like it.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Where to position hands on the wheel and why as it relates to airbags, etc.

http://www.smartmotorist.com/driving...ing-wheel.html
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote