Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Transmission showing signs of wear

Hello,

I just went and got an oil change today, and was told that my transmission was showing signs of wear. I have always complained about the transmission to two Toyota dealerships, saying that my car always feels like its dragging, and its not shifting the correct way. Both dealerships claimed my transmission was fine. I'm not really sure what to do now. Do I take it back to dealership and claim another shop told me my transmission is showing signs of wear? I still have the warranty on my Yaris.

Suggestions?
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Is it an auto or manual?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Twistoffate0817

Automatic.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Just what does the shop that told about the "wear" want to do for you?.
It might be just a case of them wantind to drum up some business such as an unneeded tranny flush which is a money maker.

Also just how did they determine it had abnormal wear?

BTW "my car always feels like its dragging" is a fairly vague statement.
Is the car is changing gears properly?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post
... I just went and got an oil change today, and was told that my transmission was showing signs of wear. ...
I'm curious why the shop you took it to would be checking the transmission for wear during an oil change. Seems like they might be using the "you should get a transmission flush" angle to drum up some business, as RedRide suggested.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Agreed with both above.

Do a check for yourself, by checking the ATF fluid via its dipstick. When you wipe the dipstick on a paper towel, It should be red or purplish-red and should not smell burnt. If the tranny is really showing signs of wear the fluid will be the first indicator.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Twistoffate0817

The shop said I need a transmission fluid flush at 30 thousand miles but if I did it today it wud be done for a long time. I'm at 22k miles. I said no because I didn't know anything about it. Im going to check the color and smell and then go from there.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
You gotta be kidding, a transmission flush at 22K?!? Unless you drive like an absolute maniac, there is nothing that requires a flush at such low mileage...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Twistoffate0817

As much as I think he was trying to get me to do it, I want to know my transmission is fine and not wearing like he said it was. He also told me my anti freeze was really low so he filled it. With such low miles why is my car having all these issues?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
As much as I think he was trying to get me to do it, I want to know my transmission is fine and not wearing like he said it was. He also told me my anti freeze was really low so he filled it. With such low miles why is my car having all these issues?
That's just it - you're not having issues. People are telling you that you have issues. People that want your money.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Look at the little cover on your transmission tip stick where it fits over the fill tube. Does it say something to the effect. " Under normal use the fluid in the transmission is good for the life of the transmission"? If this is the case all you have to do is check every so often (the TSB on this says every 100,000 miles) for low fluid (leak) or discoloured or burnt fluid. l personally check mine every 16,000 Kms (10,000 miles).

The antifreeze level can be checked in the overflow tank (semiclear tank near radiator). There are lines on the tank (low and full). If the engine is cold, then the antifreeze should be near but above the low line and if the engine is hot then the antifreeze should be near but below the full line. lf engine is hot do not loosen rad cap as hot antifreeze will squirt out and possibly burn you.

Do these checks before you go to get an oil change and you will know if they are wanting some extra money from you. If so, then go somewhere else for your next oil change.

My two cents worth.
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
That's just it - you're not having issues. People are telling you that you have issues. People that want your money.
Yep, you're worrying because someone told you to. Have you actually ever driven another Yaris? Go find one with an automatic at a dealership and take it for a test drive (tell them that you're considering buying it for your girlfriend or something). Chances are you'll find it drives pretty much the same as yours.

It's the way the car is designed, I have the same transmission and on cold mornings it can be a bit rough at first; but I travel for work a lot and drive a variety of different rental vehicles and I can tell you that the shifting on the Yaris is no worse than many other cars in its class.

Actually, I had a 2012 Corolla the week before last in Albuquerque, and I was amazed at how similar the two cars were. Sure the Corolla has a slightly bigger 1.8L engine and a little more horsepower, but for the most part it drove about the same as my Yaris. Actually, I felt the visibility of the Yaris is actually better.

Quit sweating non-existent problem, unless you have noticed some serious issues with your car, or beat the living snot out of it when you drive; chances are that these claims of needing a transmission flush are purely to increase the shop's profits.

I would actually recommend looking for a better/more reputable garage to take your Yaris for maintenance...

Speaking of which, where did you have this oil change done? It wasn't one of those horrible quick-lube joints, was it? If so, then there's your biggest problem!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I looked at my fluid a few months back at like 65000 miles and it still was looking good,that is 3 bad winters using the gears,lots of hills,lots of stop light fast starts, and lots of stuck in traffic for hours a day.

Gonna change mine out next month due to the fact it even still looks ok and smells good probably needs changed out,fresh fluids are always best to make something last in a car.

But I would think unless your trashing the poor thing 22000 is way too soon.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Twistoffate0817

So I just checked the fluid and its light pink and smells like chemicals... no burnt smell.

I cant tell if the fluid is low, because on the dip stick it says Warm/Cold and not High or Low.

Where should the fluid level be on the dipstick for it to be considered normal?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So I just checked the fluid and its light pink and smells like chemicals... no burnt smell.

I cant tell if the fluid is low, because on the dip stick it says Warm/Cold and not High or Low.

Where should the fluid level be on the dipstick for it to be considered normal?
With automatics, it is best to check the level with the fluid hot. Here is the procedure for doing so, from the service manual.

INSPECT AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID

Drive the vehicle until the engine and transaxle are at
normal operating temperature.
Fluid temperature:
70 to 80 °C (158 to 176 °F)
(a) Park the vehicle on a level surface and engage the
parking brake.
(b) With the engine idling and the brake pedal
depressed, shift the shift lever into all positions from
P to L, and then return it to the P position.
(c) Pull out the oil level gauge and wipe it clean.
(d) Push it fully back into the pipe.
(e) Pull it out and check that the fluid level is within the
HOT range.

AT Fluid Level.jpg
Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Is it checked with the car idling?
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
Is it checked with the car idling?
Yes.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
Transmission service at 22K? Say thanks for the antifreeze and don't go back to that shop. If you really have transmission sluggishness (or whatever), to back to a dealership and keep complaining. Do you have a 2nd dealership close by?

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote