Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Pulse and Glide can really work!

This weekend I got stuck on the interstate in stop and go traffic for about ten miles. I was not happy, as I had been averaging nearly 50 mpg so far for the trip up to this point.

However, I settled into short pulses, followed by nice long glides with the clutch in. Some stretches were up hill, which cut into my average, but made up for on the down slopes where only a small bump was needed to restore my speed.

I monitored my instant and average mpg with my new ScanGuage II. I also did not interfere with the traffic flow, if anything I fit right in, with perhaps a bit of a smoothing effect on flow.

The ScanGuage is not calibrated yet, as I have not completed the two fillups required, however it matches the built in Eco-meter by about 4-5%.

My other technique that I am using a lot is to hold my throttle steady (monitoring the TPS reading on the SGII) and allow the road to vary my speed. This only works in light traffic as it can be really annoying to other drivers. Using this technique I brought my average trip to work up a few points despite wind conditions. For the road I drive a TPS reading of 21 seems to work real well.

With the Pulse and Glide approach I would keep my rpms up when accelerating, around 2 to 3K so that I could quickly bump back up to speed, then quick in with the clutch. I love seeing 300+ MPG on the gauge! Even better, when coming in to a forced stop downshifting and seeing 9999 MPG as DFCO kicks in, nice going down a hill where I only need a little engine braking to keep speed down.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Great, you get better fuel economy but you burn out your clutch in a fraction of its normal life...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Great, you get better fuel economy but you burn out your clutch in a fraction of its normal life...
Yeah I was thinking that sounds horrible for the clutch. Lot of people preach about engine braking and all that jazz on manuals, but IMO brake pads are a heck of a lot cheaper than a clutch. I try to stay off that guy as much as possible.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Its fine for the clutch, that's what they're designed for. Hard driving, high RPM shifting and slipping the clutch is what kills them, not letting the clutch out while downshifting or crawling in traffic and coasting. I've driven manual cars all my life.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Haha, I always engine brake. Partially because of my grandpa teaching me how to drive (he drove truck) and because if i'm sloppy with the OEM one I can upgrade to a lightweight flywheel and new clutch sooner! Not to say that I am beating on it, though. I still rev match and baby it to make it last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

I had 140K miles on my Kia clutch, was still going strong. I always down shift when I need to slow down. I have never known anybody who drove for high FE who did not get a lot of miles out of the clutch. It is the take offs that cause most of the wear on the clutch. Popping in in and out to pulse and glide has almost no wear.

I'm using a mix of techniques on my daily commute. I'm adding more P&G as I learn where it works and where it is better just to hold my throttle steady. I achieved 53 MPG yesterday on the way home which is overall down hill, but with a stiff head wind. I usually have to have at least no wind to do that. This morning I again got 53, and that was no wind, and up to the higher elevation. Most of the trip my average was around 48 mpg, but once I got on top of the plateau I was able to P&G for parts of the remaining 5 miles and my average climbed up to 53.
P&G is very easy on the clutch, and can be fairly easy to do. I do not shut off the engine, except for one traffic light that is red a long time. I use it mostly on gentle downgrades that I cannot simply cost on. It's too much work to do on the level. I generally let my speed drop only about 5 mph, then a snappy pulse back up to speed. I'm still not hitting the throttle very hard on the pulse, generally less then 30 on my TPS reading.
There is no wear on the clutch when disengaging. When I reengage the clutch I am going to bring my engine speed up as I let the clutch out to avoid knocking any of my speed off.
Now, when I down shift I do not speed match as I want to slow the car. That is harder on the clutch, but it still is nothing like the wear that a poor take off on a hill causes.
I expect that the clutch will last as long as I own the car anyway.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I've never figured out that rev matching business.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Simply put you try to increase the engine speed so that when you let the clutch out there is no bump. If you get it exactly right the engine speed will not change once the clutch is fully out. Very difficult to do exactly, but close counts, it reduces the slippage of the clutch, or the shock on the drive line components.

With the small size of the Yaris engine it very quickly changes speeds without much shock, there is less momentum due to the reduced mass of the engine.

I hope I answered your question, if you wondered what rev matching means.