Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
two observations

How many Toyota models have the outside temperature feature? I sort of like this feature and wish my Yaris had it.

Something I noticed recently is that my turn signal seems to always be on.
Most cars have the feature that the turn signal is disengaged when the steering wheel is rotated to a certain degree. Apparently, the Yaris is not as sensitive to this. I will look on the dash to see my turn signal is still blinking three minutes after I get off the exit ramp. Are there any adjustments to correct this problem? I had a Honda Civic and rarely encountered this problem, because I was usually aware when the turn signal needed to be shut off. Maybe the Yaris is noisier so I do not hear the clicking of the turn signal. The Civic was extremely quiet inside and sometimes I did not even hear the engine running. I realize that you have to manually turn off the turn signal a good percentage of the time on any car, but I think with a Yaris it is more often.
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
My dads old 2000 Camry had the outside temperature feature and I do wish the yaris had it, but Im sure there are aftermarket ones you can get to install.

For the turn signal issue, I actually like how sensitive the yaris one is, and I am not aware of any adjustment option you can do.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I doubt the Yaris has a sensor for the true outside air temperature that a reader like a Scanguage can display. The stock air cleaner takes in air from a point behind the radiator, and the intake air temperature sensor is in the throttle body. It will read the ambient temperature while the engine is warming up, but after the thermostat opens it will be breathing somewhat warmer air.

The thing I really miss from the Volvo I traded in is the data display. But I can't quite bring myself to use a kludgy add-on like a Scangauge. My dad would have. He punched a hole in the dash of his Diesel Chevette and mounted a mechanical tach on top of it.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I doubt the Yaris has a sensor for the true outside air temperature that a reader like a Scanguage can display. The stock air cleaner takes in air from a point behind the radiator, and the intake air temperature sensor is in the throttle body. It will read the ambient temperature while the engine is warming up, but after the thermostat opens it will be breathing somewhat warmer air.

The thing I really miss from the Volvo I traded in is the data display. But I can't quite bring myself to use a kludgy add-on like a Scangauge. My dad would have. He punched a hole in the dash of his Diesel Chevette and mounted a mechanical tach on top of it.
The ambient temp sensor for the AC is mounted just behind the lower grill. The European Yari with the digital clusters use it for ambient temp display. I use that sensor with my YarGauge and have found it to be very accurate, without significant fluctuations (more than 1 to 2 degrees) when sitting still with the engine running.

On the 06-09 Yari, the sensor's data isn't passed back to the OBD command for ambient temp (it's only available by sending a CAN message to the AC ECU), but on the 2010's it is.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Diesel Chevette

What kind of mpg did that get? Where did the engine come from? Was it any good?

Thanks!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

~45-60 MPG, depending on driving conditions. It was a slow car, but I've actually gotten it up to 85 MPH on an Interstate. That was a frightening experience, though. Driving it reminded me a lot of a Model A Ford, but way low to the ground. The engine was made by Isuzu and also used in their small pickups and the I-Mark car. Converted from an industrial stationary engine, it was dead reliable and long lived. At the time, in the early '80s, it was touted as having the highest operating speed and specific power rating of any naturally aspirated Diesel. It was a 1.8L and put out 51 BHP at 5000 RPM. When Pop became unable to drive and eventually died, his 'Vette was left neglected. After it had sat unrun for ~6-7 years I felt sorry for it, pumped up the tires, put a battery in it, blasted off the lichen growing all over it and started driving it. Had to replace the headliner that was hanging down on me, and had to run some new wires to replace the ones that had rotted out from the ammonia fumes in the rear window washer fluid. Had to do lots of improvised repairs to keep going because of its deteriorated condition. No problems with it running, but lots with the electrics and such. Had fun driving a real jalopy around, but I eventually gave it to a man who cut some trees for us. He got a high school shop class to fix it up and gave it to his grandson. Brought it my the house to show it off afterward, but I missed it.

Here it is in all its glory as I drove it:

Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The ambient temp sensor for the AC is mounted just behind the lower grill. The European Yari with the digital clusters use it for ambient temp display. I use that sensor with my YarGauge and have found it to be very accurate, without significant fluctuations (more than 1 to 2 degrees) when sitting still with the engine running.

On the 06-09 Yari, the sensor's data isn't passed back to the OBD command for ambient temp (it's only available by sending a CAN message to the AC ECU), but on the 2010's it is.

You mean a scangauge could give you ambient reading(s) if you have a 2010?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
~45-60 MPG, depending on driving conditions. It was a slow car, but I've actually gotten it up to 85 MPH on an Interstate. That was a frightening experience, though. Driving it reminded me a lot of a Model A Ford, but way low to the ground. The engine was made by Isuzu and also used in their small pickups and the I-Mark car. Converted from an industrial stationary engine, it was dead reliable and long lived. At the time, in the early '80s, it was touted as having the highest operating speed and specific power rating of any naturally aspirated Diesel. It was a 1.8L and put out 51 BHP at 5000 RPM. When Pop became unable to drive and eventually died, his 'Vette was left neglected. After it had sat unrun for ~6-7 years I felt sorry for it, pumped up the tires, put a battery in it, blasted off the lichen growing all over it and started driving it. Had to replace the headliner that was hanging down on me, and had to run some new wires to replace the ones that had rotted out from the ammonia fumes in the rear window washer fluid. Had to do lots of improvised repairs to keep going because of its deteriorated condition. No problems with it running, but lots with the electrics and such. Had fun driving a real jalopy around, but I eventually gave it to a man who cut some trees for us. He got a high school shop class to fix it up and gave it to his grandson. Brought it my the house to show it off afterward, but I missed it.

Here it is in all its glory as I drove it:

My dad had a Chevette I think in the 80s when he got older cause he always bought Chevys. But it was gas. I bought a diesel Mercedes in 1990 for $4000 that knocked. It was a 79 and the sticker was $25,000. The seller was selling cause of the knock. The knock went away when it warmed up. in a couple of years I changed the injectors and the knock went away. So I brought it back to show him too!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote