Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
Trishen Naidoo
Proud Goloof Hater (G)

Drives: Toyota Yaris T1
Unhappy Advice.. need answers. Worried...

So i got my Yaris (2009 Yaris T1) and its hasnt been Plauged with Problems.. but it hasnt been "trouble free" either.

I replaced the Clutch 3 months ago cause it was as solid as a rock. Thought the Clutch needed Replacing after I burnt it (at the time I was a student driver and knew nothing about clutches)

Now at 40 000kms.. The CV joints are gone! Really at 40 000kms!

The Car was Purchased for me by My dad and I have loved it. And Looked after it. Been driving it hard but only once it was warm. Confessing I am a "fast Speedy Gonzalis" and as a result my tyres didnt last very long due to driving so fast. Recently replaced the Tyres so its good now but the CV Joints are gone. (btw Ive racked up 10000kms since November)

My Dad thinks I bought a Lemon and He's considering Selling it
But I love my car and he doesnt think its a good car

Is this Normal, and Is there anything I can do? (I know improve my Driving Habits)

I dont want him selling it
Trishen Naidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishen Naidoo View Post
So i got my Yaris (2009 Yaris T1) and its hasnt been Plauged with Problems.. but it hasnt been "trouble free" either.

I replaced the Clutch 3 months ago cause it was as solid as a rock. Thought the Clutch needed Replacing after I burnt it (at the time I was a student driver and knew nothing about clutches)

Now at 40 000kms.. The CV joints are gone! Really at 40 000kms!

The Car was Purchased for me by My dad and I have loved it. And Looked after it. Been driving it hard but only once it was warm. Confessing I am a "fast Speedy Gonzalis" and as a result my tyres didnt last very long due to driving so fast. Recently replaced the Tyres so its good now but the CV Joints are gone. (btw Ive racked up 10000kms since November)

My Dad thinks I bought a Lemon and He's considering Selling it
But I love my car and he doesnt think its a good car

Is this Normal, and Is there anything I can do? (I know improve my Driving Habits)

I dont want him selling it
Are you driving on unpaved roads? Is it possible that when you bought the car the odometer had been replaced or manipulated and the car really had many more kilometers than you thought on it? The soonest I've ever worn out the CV joints was 80,000 miles and that was on a GTI I drove very hard.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Trishen Naidoo
Proud Goloof Hater (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Are you driving on unpaved roads? Is it possible that when you bought the car the odometer had been replaced or manipulated and the car really had many more kilometers than you thought on it? The soonest I've ever worn out the CV joints was 80,000 miles and that was on a GTI I drove very hard.
No well not as of late. Construction is being done on my road and the roads have gotten a bit bumpy. Well I doubt the engine has been tampered with cause it was sent for a full AA Inspection and passed with flying colours (Thats what I was told and the AA sticker is on my car atm)

well I dont know if you Notice but the car has as of such "Never had the O-rings opened" when i got it.. can see the engine hasnt been "opened" and when i first got it it did feel like a brand new engine. Now it feels like the engine has been raced with (mainly cause I sometimes redline the engine twice a week and shortshift on standard gearbox (guilty as charged) and the engine has a completely different tone

Is it possible to manipulate the Mileage.. service books do tie up the mileage as I had done the second service.. first service was done by Toyota themselves...

Mind me being a chatty box.. This is the first car I have ever owned in my life and im still learning to drive with it..
Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
my understanding is. hard accelerating while turning sharply can 'speed' (ha) up wear and tear and maybe more if the roads are a bit bumpy might make it worse..?

also clutch kicking burns clutches out ohhh so quick :(

with the redlining.... check the distributor cap for any damage on the inside of the cap, depending on how hard you hit the limiter.
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoodness View Post
my understanding is. hard accelerating while turning sharply can 'speed' (ha) up wear and tear and maybe more if the roads are a bit bumpy might make it worse..?

also clutch kicking burns clutches out ohhh so quick :(

with the redlining.... check the distributor cap for any damage on the inside of the cap, depending on how hard you hit the limiter.
Um... Ok.

There is no distributor...

Turning you wheels at a sharp angle and spinning your tires will KILL the CV joints. Also, check the boot around the CV for a tear and grease inside your rim and fender liner.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Um... Ok.

There is no distributor...

Turning you wheels at a sharp angle and spinning your tires will KILL the CV joints. Also, check the boot around the CV for a tear and grease inside your rim and fender liner.
I've always thought that the quality and thickness of the rubber used for the CV boots on the Yaris must be pretty good as I don't notice many people complaining on Yarisworld about it. I found the quality of the original boots and the OEM replacements for the Volkswagen GTI to be substandard. I didn't stop having problems with that aspect of the GTI until I bought a CV boot kit to be used if you couldn't jack/elevate your car. It formed a somewhat harder shell and was composed of two halves to be glued together (on each side of the car) after being put around the joint. I did the repair myself and I'd check it periodically to make sure the glue was holding (by crawling under the car) and I didn't have any CV joint issues after that. The material the boots in this kit were constructed of proved much more durable than the Volkswagen product.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I think it can only be considered a "lemon" if you have to replace or repair the same part 3 times or more and it is not caused by the driver/owner.

Might be different for S Africa

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
No well not as of late. Construction is being done on my road and the roads have gotten a bit bumpy. Well I doubt the engine has been tampered with cause it was sent for a full AA Inspection and passed with flying colours (Thats what I was told and the AA sticker is on my car atm)

well I dont know if you Notice but the car has as of such "Never had the O-rings opened" when i got it.. can see the engine hasnt been "opened" and when i first got it it did feel like a brand new engine. Now it feels like the engine has been raced with (mainly cause I sometimes redline the engine twice a week and shortshift on standard gearbox (guilty as charged) and the engine has a completely different tone

Is it possible to manipulate the Mileage.. service books do tie up the mileage as I had done the second service.. first service was done by Toyota themselves...

Mind me being a chatty box.. This is the first car I have ever owned in my life and im still learning to drive with it..
Well, at least it seems as though (with the certifications you mention) you won't be paying for damage that someone else did. I'm sure that PART of the reason that I had such CV joint problems with my GTI was the way I drove it. I had an Acura Integra that I drove almost as hard as the GTI for about the same total miles over the life of the car and never had any CV joint issues with the Integra. I'm new to this inspection thing too re getting Texas plates on my car. California requires periodic smog inspections but doesn't (unless things have changed in the last couple of years) require any other type of inspections for passenger cars. Texas requires a vehicle inspection every year...and (if you live in certain metropolitan area counties, mine included) a smog inspection every year.

Especially since you aren't at the point where you can afford to be on your own and pay the extra money that driving a car really hard can cost you, try easing up on your driving after the repair. Your relationship with your father might improve as well (just observations re what you've written, not from my personal experience). It's good that you worry what he thinks. I didn't have any restrictions, and that isn't a good thing.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
I think it can only be considered a "lemon" if you have to replace or repair the same part 3 times or more and it is not caused by the driver/owner.

Are certain parts exempt from this (in the U.S.)? If any parts would be, I'd think CV joints would be prime candidates as driving habits would have more of an input toward potential failure than with many other parts. You're right though, lemon laws might be different in South Africa.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
Gigi is my girl <3

Drives: 08' 3Dr Hatchback 122,000
As with many things, I find personal error is likely to blame. I've only changed my oil and tires, at 113,000. The only thing needing replaced is my rear shocks, this is due to moving cross country numerous times with a lot of weight in the back. I've also lived 35 miles down a rough dirt road in Wyoming. Other than that, no problems yet. Your dad is clearly upset about the money it has cost to fix your car. Maybe offering to foot the bill and more conservative driving will change his tune.
Gigi is my girl <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
Trishen Naidoo
Proud Goloof Hater (G)

Hi guys Thanks for the Reply.

Ill definitely start treating my Yaris with more care and sympathy. From my Understanding, my friend said "drive it hard once a week to clean out the dirty clogging the engine and pipes, and to remove the Residual and anything that isnt supposed to be there."

I do love my Yaris. I dont believe its a lemon as (From the way I've been driving it) it hasnt been giving me any issues up until now with the CV Joints. The gearbox is still 100% even after the thrashing its been getting, at low speeds its very smooth on the changing.

Getting my car back today. So im very excited Especially to fit my Sound back Into it.
I Must say, its a Very enjoyable car to drive, (Some people think its a 1.3 the way my 1.0 moves) so im impressed with the way it drives and moves. amazing car, will definitely keep it... (maybe do some upgrades to the exhaust and intake??)

Any other gremlins i need to worry about?? Thanks for the Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
Trishen Naidoo
Proud Goloof Hater (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post

South africa, Problem cars are considered Lemons.. if they break down often, or give alot of problems, then Lemons they are, regardless of the mileage.
In South Africa, mechanical repairs cost alot, anything to do with cars is expensive. (Modifications>What i can afford to do)

But more Mechanical Sympathy. After racking up a good couple of fines most definitely.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #13
Trishen Naidoo
Proud Goloof Hater (G)

Quote:
Well, at least it seems as though (with the certifications you mention) you won't be paying for damage that someone else did. I'm sure that PART of the reason that I had such CV joint problems with my GTI was the way I drove it. I had an Acura Integra that I drove almost as hard as the GTI for about the same total miles over the life of the car and never had any CV joint issues with the Integra. I'm new to this inspection thing too re getting Texas plates on my car. California requires periodic smog inspections but doesn't (unless things have changed in the last couple of years) require any other type of inspections for passenger cars. Texas requires a vehicle inspection every year...and (if you live in certain metropolitan area counties, mine included) a smog inspection every year.

Especially since you aren't at the point where you can afford to be on your own and pay the extra money that driving a car really hard can cost you, try easing up on your driving after the repair. Your relationship with your father might improve as well (just observations re what you've written, not from my personal experience). It's good that you worry what he thinks. I didn't have any restrictions, and that isn't a good thing.
My dad does worry and hes actually considering upgrading me to a toyota but a different Model- Toyota Etios (Launched In South Africa last month not sure about if it was Launched anywhere else in the world) but I dont like it.

If I can Improve my Driving Habits and Know what to do and what to look out for then the car will last far longer than the way Im driving it now.
I dont think MY Yaris is the car for Robot to Robot racing and racing against Mk1s (They very common here in SA they only stopped making them a year ago) but I do love it when I beat VW drivers and they see themselves getting passed by a Yaris (every golf driver will race anything on Wheels here in Durban)
- Sony Xplod GT45U Head Unit
Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
My dad does worry and hes actually considering upgrading me to a toyota but a different Model- Toyota Etios (Launched In South Africa last month not sure about if it was Launched anywhere else in the world) but I dont like it.

If I can Improve my Driving Habits and Know what to do and what to look out for then the car will last far longer than the way Im driving it now.
I dont think MY Yaris is the car for Robot to Robot racing and racing against Mk1s (They very common here in SA they only stopped making them a year ago) but I do love it when I beat VW drivers and they see themselves getting passed by a Yaris (every golf driver will race anything on Wheels here in Durban)
It sounds as though you have a pretty cool dad, just don't abuse his goodwill.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #15
Trishen Naidoo
Proud Goloof Hater (G)

Quote:
It sounds as though you have a pretty cool dad, just don't abuse his goodwill.
Definitely. Turns out the CV Joints were gone as well as the wheel bearing. Sorted out now, the car is driving nicely
- Sony Xplod GT45U Head Unit