Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
rudolfoz

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan AT
rear defroster/ steering

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2008 Yaris sedan base. I am happy with the car, but there are couple question I hope somebody could help me out.
1) I recently discovered that my Yaris does not have a rear defroster (no button, and no heater on the window). I was wondering if I can survive the winter without one, or I need to install one. I assume that it would be expensive.

2) when I drive at highway speeds (70mi/h and faster) the car feels little out of control. I did alignment twice. The dealer told me that the power steering is very tight, so it's kind of hard to control it at high speeds. IS that normal?

Thank you very much for help.
rudolfoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
1) That's kind of weird, I thought every car came with one... especially in the frozen north. You could always get a hand defogger and an ice scraper for the really bad days.

2) Ya that's kind of a common complaint. The dealer is correct the power steering makes the wheels wander too easily. Rear sway bar, lowering springs, upgraded shocks and struts, wider tires, hub spacers all help, and the more you do the more solid it feels. Careful though, I joined looking for help with highway wander in the wind and now I'm addicted to modding my yaris.. haha
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Wowzers78

Drives: 2007 Silver 3dr hatch
Your rear defroster control should be the little circular button on the Hot/Cold control knob on the bottom. Should light up orange I think...lol
Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
advocate

Drives: car
The car is small. It will get battered around by high speed winds and deep potholes / sinkholes

If your car vibrates at high speeds, there are mechanical problems.

If your car veers randomly under heavy winds you have a stability issue. Sadly this issue has been acknowledged by many members on the forum already. This happens because the Yaris rides up high like it has a lift kit. Its rear tires are also inset further than normal under the car than most other cars. It also comes standard with bicycle sized tires.

Common fixes are to get a rear sway bar to help stiffen the chassis and also to lower the car on aftermarket springs.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowzers78 View Post
Your rear defroster control should be the little circular button on the Hot/Cold control knob on the bottom. Should light up orange I think...lol
It's not a standard option. At least it wasn't on the 07's.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Wowzers78

It's late and I realized how bad my directions sounded....heres a picture...lol
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Wowzers78

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
It's not a standard option. At least it wasn't on the 07's.
Didn't know that...wow..talk about base model..lol...well thats where it should be if you DO have it
Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
rudolfoz

Thank you for your help.
My Yaris is 2008 and it is missing that button. I could not believe it, but it's true. I'll make sure I have my ice scraper ready.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
rudolfoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post

The dealer is correct the power steering makes the wheels wander too easily. Rear sway bar, lowering springs, upgraded shocks and struts, wider tires, hub spacers all help, and the more you do the more solid it feels. Careful though, I joined looking for help with highway wander in the wind and now I'm addicted to modding my yaris.. haha
Thanks for advice. I am really tempted to improve it, but I am sure my wife will bring me back to reality. I guess I'll just slow down little bit ( It improves the milage anyway).
Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
Very surprising that there's no rear defrost. I thought all cars would have that at this point.

In stock form, the car is fairly lightweight, sits sort of high, has a tall side profile, and a pretty soft suspension. All this makes it prone to feel a little unstable at higher speeds, especially if it's windy, and you get crosswinds.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
1) That's kind of weird, I thought every car came with one... especially in the frozen north. You could always get a hand defogger and an ice scraper for the really bad days.

2) Ya that's kind of a common complaint. The dealer is correct the power steering makes the wheels wander too easily. Rear sway bar, lowering springs, upgraded shocks and struts, wider tires, hub spacers all help, and the more you do the more solid it feels. Careful though, I joined looking for help with highway wander in the wind and now I'm addicted to modding my yaris.. haha
item 2 incorrect

power steering is 100% off when on the highway. wander has nothing
to do with power steering
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
power steering is 100% off when on the highway. wander has nothing
to do with power steering
True. The Yaris' electric power steering is speed controlled. It only works when the car is stopped or moving slowly.

There are lots of threads discussing Yaris highway wander. Alignment settings, particularly toe and caster, should be checked if it's excessive. A relatively tall, short, light car like this will always be twitchier than a 1972 Cadillac Sedan Deville.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
True. The Yaris' electric power steering is speed controlled. It only works when the car is stopped or moving slowly.
Wow, I didn't know that. I'd even be happy with no power steering at all, my Honda CRX's didn't have it and the only time I missed it was parallel parking in a really tight space.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
ya, i'm very surprised the yaris didn't have it.

Though, most would think all cars have it standard. But no, some States' not required by law.

All news cars in Canada must have rear defrost. I'm not sure since when this started, but i've seen a Dodge Omni and a Dodge Caravan that didn't have it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
rudolfoz

Quote:
I actually took a ride with a mechanic from Toyota dealership and told him about the power steering changing with the speed. He told me that the power steering is constant and does not adjust to the speed. Go figure....
Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
rudolfoz

Quote:

There are lots of threads discussing Yaris highway wander. Alignment settings, particularly toe and caster, should be checked if it's excessive. A relatively tall, short, light car like this will always be twitchier than a 1972 Cadillac Sedan Deville.
I used to drive a 1997 Geo Prizm before the Yaris. I was able to drive the Prizm up to 100 miles/hour without feeling out of control. That's why I was little puzzled that a 2008 car would feel less secure. The Toyota mechanic explained that the old cars had CastIron engine blocks, and they were heavier and more stable. The actual weight difference between 1997 Prizm and 2008 Yaris is only around 50 pounds. I guess the tallness of Yaris has to play a bigger role.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowzers78 View Post
It's late and I realized how bad my directions sounded....heres a picture...lol
That is my car lol, my interior looks exactly like that.
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I don't find excessive wandering with my sedan, either. It's a much more common complaint with the hatchbacks.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote