Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Bidoup

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 3dr BB
What other cars you looked at ?

There is probably a thread on that but to lazy to search...

What other car did you looked at before finally buying a Yaris ?!

On my part I looked at the Aveo from chevrolet and the Accent.

The Aveo seems to be a nice little car but the design is very ugly... interior was ok but that's it, fair price for what you got... I never really trusted GM and I heard alot of bad stories about their customer service..

The Accent have a nice exterior design but is it me or does it look really like the old honda civc ?! Interior was correct... The thing that bothered me was that when I made the test drive, the auto transmission was very weird, shifting up and down without any reasons.... and the suspension was also really hard, feel like there was no suspension at all....

I finally end up with the Yaris, clean interior, handle very well, awsome design!!! not regreting by purchase at all except I should have bought it with the C Package instead of the B... oh well its just a lease so my 2011 yaris gonna have power doors and windows for sure

Sorry if I made mistakes.... my english is not the best one..
Bidoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Well, I didn't test drive any car but the Yaris, but I looked into all the "hatch" cars in the segment (Chevy Aveo, Hyundai Accent '07, Honda Fit, Kia Rio 5, Mazda 3 - albeit more expensive, even the Suzuki Aero) but the Yaris was the winner in performance, milleage, looks, and cost. The new Accent might have done it, but the milleage wasn't that impressive compared to the Yaris or Fit, the availability was about the same, and the price with the AC installed (a MUST in S FL) was a a tad higher than the Yaris with the Convenience pacakage. Not worth it...
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
i checked out the 05 dodge neon srt-4 and the 04 vw jetta gli 1.8t. i got the yaris because it was newer for less $$, got better gas mileage, had more room, but most of all because it's a toyota. dodge and vw dont exactly have the most reliable cars...
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
makelikemorning

Drives: 2007 Barcelona Red Yaris Sedan
Scion Xa. We probably would have went with it if we could have found one, which isn't to say that we settled for the Yaris; we just wanted a four-door hatchback.
makelikemorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Yaris the way to go!! i never thought of getting other car. Well i was going to get an echo HB since my brother has a echo HB too so i was going to get the same car as him. But by the time i want to buy it, all the ECHO HB RS are gone..so i was left with Yaris, which doesn't really matter. And i have never even test driven then yaris and i pre-ordered it
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #6
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
None. Yaris all the way! And I'm too tall for the hatchback. So Yaris sedan was my one and only!

Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
Same for me. I am a Toyota customer from long ago. No brainer.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I also looked at the Honda Civic*, Fit*, Nissan Sentra* (Versa wasn’t out yet), Mazda 3 (hatchback), Toyota Camry, Scion xA and the Scion tC*.

* denotes those I also test drove.

The Fit was my second choice – it just doesn’t look nearly as good as my Yaris. I liked it much more than the Civic. They had really good deals on the Sentra. I could have gotten a loaded Sentra ‘Sport’ model for about what I paid but I could barely get in and out of the back seat and the trunk was pretty much useless. I wasn’t comfortable in the xA because of the high center console and the seat design. I really liked the tC but the mileage stinks. The Mazda 3 has relatively poor mileage too. I ruled out the Camry because that was my last car and I didn’t want another boring sedan.

Last edited by Violin; 08-10-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
BensVitz

Drives: 2001 Mazda P/U
I still haven't ruled ANYTHING out. I'm narrowed down to a few vehicles, but they are entirely different segments: Ford Ranger 2.3 (would like to have some sort of a tow rating), the Mazda 5 (coolest micro-van, but no towing allowed), Honda Fit (has no tow rating, and looks mini-vanish without the novelties of dual sliding doors), or an 07 Harley Davidson (won't need to tow a bike if I could just ride it). The new 2-door VW Rabbit looks nice, but they could make it more efficient. Oh yeah... the Scion XA. The Yaris is cool too :)

As long as it's under $20K, nothing is ruled out
Ben
BensVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #10
Yaris Dick

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 06 VW GTI, 06 G6
I looked at the FIT, the XA, the Aveo, the Civic hybrid, and the Prius. I'm still scared of the "newness" of hybrid technology. The Fit is ugly. The XA was nice but I couldn't deal with the "no dealing" pricing. The Aveo is ugly and gets incredibly bad mileage for such a small car. The Yaris won the contest hands down.

Last edited by Yaris Dick; 08-10-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Yaris Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Yaris
i checked out the 05 dodge neon srt-4 and the 04 vw jetta gli 1.8t. i got the yaris because it was newer for less $$, got better gas mileage, had more room, but most of all because it's a toyota. dodge and vw dont exactly have the most reliable cars...

I had also tried out an SRT-4 and loved it....excellent package it seemed, but after looking in forums and then talking with 3 peeps I know that have them (2 with 05 and 1 with 04) I found out that the turbos have leakage issues which were occuring even before 15k miles and that even tho they advertise 30 HWY people were actually averaging around 23-25 (and that was without getting on it) which is just not good enough to me so I had to give up the kick ass HP and go back to my roots with Toyota.

EDIT: Yes I love run on sentence structure

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Scion xA, MR2 Spyder (slightly used), Lotus Elise (slightly used), new Honda Civic coupe, Honda Fit, and a few other random cars..
Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #13
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Cadillac Escalade... had the 22" and navi all ready to roll, but then gas spiked up to $1.10.... ruled it out... then I was going to go with the Saturn Sky, but it was going to take way too long before being released... After being frustrated with not buying either, I decided to go back to basics, and just pick up a car.... I have to say that I've been happy since...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 AM   #14
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
There were other cars made this year? Had no idea.

Seriously, it was the only new car I even considered.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
When I shopped around in September 05, I first went to a Honda dealership to try to see the Fit. However, the salesman there said he had never heard about the Fit and he tried to talk me into buying a Civic........
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #16
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
When i was shopping for the Yaris, i looked at these cars

Subaru Impreza WRX STI
- Not very realiable, gonna mod the hell out of it, use too much gas, already had one b4

+Love the Boxer engine, very fun to drive
Honda Civic SI
- Didnt want to join the "Civic Nation", Insurance is too much, didn't come in white, kinda ugly + american build

+ very modern, 200HP K20A + 6SPD, great package for the price

Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec (R32)
- 15 yr old car, RHD, gonna cost alot to maintain it and to mod it. probably will be in the shop more then on the street.

+ Legendary Skyline GTR, RB26DETT engine, ATTENSA AWD, still awesome looking, extremly rare.

Lotus Elise
- Too exotic to drive daily lol, 70K for a car with absolutly nothing but a chassis and engine >.> doesnt even have storage area for grocery!

+ Love the car to death, 2ZZ engine sounds awesome with straight pipe. probably one of the best car in the world. very fast track car.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #17
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Jeezus, Hyde,

you're hardcore!

Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde
When i was shopping for the Yaris, i looked at these cars

Subaru Impreza WRX STI
- Not very realiable, gonna mod the hell out of it, use too much gas, already had one b4

+Love the Boxer engine, very fun to drive
Honda Civic SI
- Didnt want to join the "Civic Nation", Insurance is too much, didn't come in white, kinda ugly + american build

+ very modern, 200HP K20A + 6SPD, great package for the price

Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec (R32)
- 15 yr old car, RHD, gonna cost alot to maintain it and to mod it. probably will be in the shop more then on the street.

+ Legendary Skyline GTR, RB26DETT engine, ATTENSA AWD, still awesome looking, extremly rare.

Lotus Elise
- Too exotic to drive daily lol, 70K for a car with absolutly nothing but a chassis and engine >.> doesnt even have storage area for grocery!

+ Love the car to death, 2ZZ engine sounds awesome with straight pipe. probably one of the best car in the world. very fast track car.

What makes you end up with a Yaris.. Sounds like you are shopping for orange but you got an apple.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote