Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
bikegerm

Drives: 2007 Meteor LB
My New Camera !!

Hey everyone. I've got to share excitement. Today my new Olympus E-520 arrived !! With some good suggestions from PK, I decided on this model. I stopped on the way home from work, unboxed it, and snapped a couple of quick pics in "auto" mode because I don't really know how to operate it yet !! I look forward to getting to know it, so I can really "use" this camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e-520.jpg (16.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (143.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg frnt_lft2.jpg (145.5 KB, 56 views)
bikegerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Now get yourself the photomatix HDR program and I would also download Picasa which is free and great to use.

Have fun.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
bikegerm

Hey PK... Do normally use the LCD or the viewfinder when you're taking pics? The LCD operates in "live" mode and definitely displays some useful info in regards to your settings. I've been looking at the menus and info pages, this thing reminds me of the studio gear I use. Menus, upon submenus... It won't take me long and I'll know my way around it. Then... I'll be able to better relate the settings to the picture characteristics after I view them with the Olympus software.

PK the best advice you gave me was to "hold" the camera. This one really feels solid. The layout and positioning of the controls are an easy and comfortable "thumb" stroke a way. It balances really well in my hands.

Definitely going to venture into Photmax HDR. What is Picasa?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Picasa is an image editor that is pretty much distributed by Google. It also organizes the pics but i dont like it for organizing... Its free tho... so... yea ;)

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nice!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Very nice!

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
yeahhhhh, this is the offspring of my e-500. great camera. you will fall in love with it after each pic. now don't you let me catch you in Auto mode too often , use the freedom of the DSLR
YUP! Do not let the DSLR Police catch you in Auto! It's fine if you ask someone else to take a picture but do not leave it there. If you want to Point and Shoot then you spent more $$$ than needed!

Picasa is a great free program that allows a bit of editing but best of all it helps organize your photos in a single place. It will (upon initial installation) sweep your entire computer for all images. It does not move anything around but organizes them.

Actually next on your list should be a decent TRIPOD.

Let the addiction begin!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
if it was up to me, i would just make a dslr with apreture ,exposure , iso and focus control all manual. it drive me nuts when i see someone with a dslr and shooting in auto, whats the point???
I have to admit that I will flip mine to Auto when I hand the camera off to someone. It keeps things easy for them.

I believe that is the reason for AUTO and it helps people look cool using a good camera!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
bikegerm

Olympus Master 2 software

Got to playing with the Olympus Master 2 software last night on the photos I took in auto mode before coming home. I only used auto mode because I just took the camera out of the box five minutes before I snapped my first pics. Anyway, the software allows you to edit all the characteristics of the photo when it's shot in RAW mode. It's capabilities are remarkable !! I am so happy with my purchase !! My next addition will be a flash for the camera and Photmatix HDR.

Oh no.... another excessive compulsive hobbie !! Between my Yaris, music gear, bicycle, wife, and now my camera, will there ever be any money left from my paycheck?