Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
yarisnewbie

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Question I need advice on car products!

Hi everybody, I just got my very first car about a month ago and it's a 2009 Toyota Yaris ,of course! Since i am new to the "Car World" and I would like to keep my Yaris looking like new for a long time, could you advice me on some good products to use ,inside and out? I'd really love to know what kind of products i should buy and have as a part of my Car Care kit. Any advice?
yarisnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Outside, I use Meguiars and just about nothing else.
Inside I am not so picky, I just try to keep it as clean as possible.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Meguiars has a nice starter kit full of some great products. Check out their website. I've been using Meguiars for the past 15 years and always liked the outcome.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Meguiars Gold Class is their best line of products. For the headlamps/taillights I use Plexus which is available at most motorcycle shops-this stuff is incredible and keeps these lenses looking new and shiny. I only use a damp lint free cloth on the dash/interior. Meguiars Hot Shine is nice on the tires. If you like to clean your motor on occasion I use Simple Green.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
yarisnewbie

Thank you all for advicing me on some car products..It seems like the Meguiars brand is very popular among Yaris owners here! I will definetely try it.
Which product(s) would you suggest I should buy first(most needed) and which ones i can wait for and purchase in a later time?
I've only had my car for about a month and i haven't even had the chance to wash it still because the rainy weather here has been taking care of that.
As for the outside of the car, i was thinking about a Meguiars detailer spray to use in between car washes to give it a quick clean up/ and to remove dust/bird dropping/rain stain etc..... Which of the Meguiars detailers do you think will work best?They have so many products, so confusing.....
Thank you so much for your help.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Dysfunctionallx
Caw?

Drives: 08 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Dysfunctionallx
Meguiars has their Quick Wax spray. For small messes I use Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover. Turtle Wax Ice also works very well for detailing.
Dysfunctionallx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
babie y
www.teamvitz.com

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I recommend "Mothers" products. I have always used mothers, no complaints. Mothers have a wide variety of products. Check it out. You will be impressed.
babie y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
yarisnewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babie y View Post
I recommend "Mothers" products. I have always used mothers, no complaints. Mothers have a wide variety of products. Check it out. You will be impressed.
Sure! I will do that..... Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
yarisnewbie

I just bought the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer and it's pretty good. I used it with The Absorber chamois and they both worked great together.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Try some Menzerna and Autoglym products. Those are pretty good as well. Pricier for sure, but leagues ahead IMHO.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
I use Meguirs NXT Tech Wax 2.0
IMHO i reckon it is way better that the turtle wax platinum which I used before....

Just to jack this thread for a second...do you ppl apply wax and polish on the rims as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
^ you can and i see no reason why you can't. i personally use the meguiars tech wax with my car and rims, and have seen beautful results :)
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Just to jack this thread for a second...do you ppl apply wax and polish on the rims as well?
I do. It helps keep the alloy wheels clean and the brake dust comes off really easy.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #14
raz1121

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Since its new you may want to start off claying the car. then i use 2 coats Zaino Z-2. Then any kind of tire shine just make sure you wipe it in so it doesnt sling. inside just i use aerospace 303 on the paneling and scrubbing bubbles works well on a lot of things inside the car. you have to order zaino products online i think. so if your looking for a decent store bought Meguiars tech wax is pretty good.
raz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Wax the inside and outside of my wheels with meguiars cleaner and wax. (stuff in a tub). I use a dremel tool for the inside webbing as that seems to be a gathering spot for dirt and brake dust. Later, when it comes to a quick clean-up I just wipe with a damp towel.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Before you go crazy with the waxes, polishes etc., get a clay bar and some detailing spray and 'clay' the paint! Here's how my garaged car looked after only 3 months of ownership. After the paint is good and clean, the go to town with the polishes and waxes. Your new ride will appreciate it!

2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
It's much more easier and effective to use the claybar when washing the car using soap and water as the lubricant.

But, that's the right idea.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I've never used the Clay bars-but it looks like they work pretty good. I use an Ultra-fine Polish from Malms followed by their Carnuba Wax-yes this stuff is for fanatics like me and they are not inexpensive products available mail order only out of NY. I discovered them years ago in MotorTrend magazine. But the product lasts a long time-just a little of both go a long way. This last summer I finally bought my first California Car Duster-and wow am I impressed. It truly keeps your car looking great in between washes-and I can't see that it scratches on causes any kind of swirl marks on dark colors. They are only about $11, you might ad that to your collection of car care stuff.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote