Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Yaris on the Gravel roads?

Me and the wife already have an '07 Yaris sedan and love it. I drive an '07 regular cab Tacoma 2WD. I really need something with a backseat for picking up the kids when the wife can't. I looked at a 4 door Tacoma, but I really don't want to pay that much. I am thinking of getting a 5 door LB for myself.

The only thing is I love to go out riding in the country on the gravel backroads to relax. How rough do you think that would be on the Yaris' suspension? I am not talking about mud riding or offroading just cruising some less than pefectly maintained gravel roads.
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
The Yaris has good ground clearance for such a small car. Provided that you avoid ditches you should be okay.

I've driven on dirt roads myself in my Yaris. I've also seen smaller Honda hatchbacks on such roads. You have to be more prudent on backroads is all.

Please keep in mind that the Yaris is sold all over the world, including a good many countries that do not necessarily have the best roads.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Mine does O.K on gravel roads.... mind you it gets quite loud! maybe the drive wont be relaxing but when you stop and rest, it may be :P

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Yes, the Yaris does have pretty good clearance, compared to many small cars. I have driven it on forest service roads(old logging roads) that had cross ditches in them.( very carefully, going diagonally)

I've driven to Alaska, and there were several gravel sections. The back end gets a big squirrelly if you try to drive too fast. But otherwise it is very good on the gravel.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Cool glad to get those responses. I am definently not going down jeep trail or trying to rally race so it should be cool on county gravel roads. Thanks
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
If you just like to drive down gravel roads to relax, why not just get a mountain bike. That way you can truly enjoy the scenery, the clean air smell, and the open feeling of being on a bike. Just a thought.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I just took a 2 hour drive myself on the back roads around here, some were not so well kept, and it took it fine, no scraping, just slow cruising enjoying the woods and lake scenery
Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Masteraal

Drives: Black Yaris YRS 3dr Manual
ive used the yaris on gravel a few times
once doing about 50mph with 17s and lowered suspension.. so fun :)

i must have bottomed out a few times too...
Masteraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
mastaofdisasta

Drives: yaris
Ive taken my yaris on these ghetto gravel dirt roads that i have to take to get to the shootin range at the state forest i live near. Its really bumpy and dirty, ive had that yaris covered in mud, and even gotten the front tires off the ground a little bit on some deep ruts. No i did not mean it but yes it held up but no i do not recommend or endorse this kind of activity.