Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Self Painting Upper Grill

Obviously I have to get the aerosol can from automotive touchup which is 20 bucks but I'm trying to spend less than 8 dollars for primer and clear coat. Any suggestions? I don't think I'm going to get adhesion promoter. Just use a special primer for plastics. I'm trying to keep this total job under 100 bucks. (Grill is $60 with shipping, flint mica is 20 plus $9 shipping *90bucks*) Also, what are opinions on wet sanding? Does it really need done?
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think wet sanding is to take down any unevenness (orange peel effect for example) after you paint. Yes? I'm not a painting guru, that's for sure.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Professional looking painting can be done with areosol can. Make sure you shake up the can a ton before you do it. Then lightly wet sand the area down very well. Then wash the area with dawn dish soap to remove all residue and wax.

Then with the can hold it about 5 inches or so away from the surface and gently mist the panel you are painting not actually spray it. In short burst in a sweeping motion.

That is the only way to blend the area. If you have a hair dryer. Dry the area for a few minutes. Then go again with another coat. Or just do it on a really hot sunny day. Once you have even coverage let it dry for awile.

Once you feel it is fully dry hit it with some rubbing compound to take out the little bits of overspray and to kinda even the tone out. Then cleaner wax. Then polish and then sealant.

After you are done it should look about 90 percent better and you should not be able to tell there was paint done unless you know where you are supose to be looking.

I know cause i just had to repaint my fathers bumper cause my mom hit the sidewalk with it. Popped the dent and then repainted one small section. It was a gold flake paint so was tricky to match.

If you got a solid color car you are more fortunate
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
I have flint mica so it sucks. Not sure how odd it would look if I just put it on as is. *Flat/plain black plastic* Saw a couple people do it, one did it with a silver sedan, but not sure about flint mica.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I had black vinyl for eyelids before today. Went quite well with my flint mica. Just paint it either semi glossy black or flint mica. Flat black might be too dull looking for such as big piece.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Oh you are painting your vios grill. I am hella tired. I thought you meant painting like upper bumper like it was damaged lol.

I got my vios grill painted flint mica for 50 bucks. Parts and labor for everything. They preped primer, and clear coated it with lifetime warrenty. Check your local bodyshops you will get better results.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Oh you are painting your vios grill. I am hella tired. I thought you meant painting like upper bumper like it was damaged lol.

I got my vios grill painted flint mica for 50 bucks. Parts and labor for everything. They preped primer, and clear coated it with lifetime warrenty. Check your local bodyshops you will get better results.
HOLY! Mine cost a little more than 3x that!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Really! I had my rear chrome piece painted for 20 bucks too i had it done at same time.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Really! I had my rear chrome piece painted for 20 bucks too i had it done at same time.
Which/where is the shop you went to? My spoiler cost 10 bucks less to paint then my grill at the same shop

I'm thinking of going to your shop next time I need something painted.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
YarisSedan

its called eddies auto body in san jose. They got really good yelp reviews. Supose to be true bodymen. They do real bodywork not replace panels. Also supose to be the cheapest place in bay area. Suposidly they are always 1/3 the price of the competition.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
its called eddies auto body in san jose. They got really good yelp reviews. Supose to be true bodymen. They do real bodywork not replace panels. Also supose to be the cheapest place in bay area. Suposidly they are always 1/3 the price of the competition.
True that! Now I'm just piss that I paid ~180-200 to have my grill painted! Oh well, the shop I went to did an excellent job