Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Redline Time Attack

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/Upl...ttackRules.pdf

I am thinking about attempting to do this!! I think the Yaris can represent, wish it were at my home track, Roebling Road, but no worries.

So i think the class that makes most sense is Stock class, bc i have hardly any mods, and nothing puts me over into Street, Modified, or Open class. In fact i can actually do ALOT more modifications!!

The problem comes with money. I don't have cash to dump into this right now, i am on student loans. So everything has to be near cheap or free. So the only thing i can really afford to do alone is the aero.

The most important ones are aero. The rules state you can have a front splitter that extends 3" from the front bumper. Ok, i can probably make that from plywood. In fact, the support pieces from Garms front splitter would work perfect in helping support the splitter. Next, we need to reduce drag. I think the best way to prevent that would be to vent the rear bumper somehow. If you look at the stock bumper, the very bottom kinda jets out slightly, so i was thinking of making small slots there (similar to the C5 corvette or porsche GT3). At our last track event, we had problems carrying speed due to all the drag, so these two items should help. My friend also has a small APR aluminum wing that we will mount up as well. So splitter, rear wing and venting; that takes care of aero.

CMP is hard on brakes, so i think the best thing to do would construct brake ducts. I would really like to get some Carbotechs and lines, but i consider that a luxury right now on this budget.

The car could also really use some power. So i was thinking of getting a filter, and buying a map sensor tube and using the rest of the stock components. Also, to remove weight and increase, power, remove the rear exhaust. A delete would be nice, but probably wont happen. According to Loren, the header is pretty restrictive, so this may be one of the few places to plink down some money for a DC header. Another cheap easy power gain would be a pulley. So custom intake, header, pulley, exhaust removal for power.

The car can still have some minor tweaks done. Stock mounts are allowed to be slotted, so i will be dialing in more camber in the front. Also, i will install my Penguin Garage spacers to increase rear track, gain camber, and remove toe to get the car to turn, this is important at CMP. Also going to fill in the front A arms wit polyurethane, and may do the engine mounts SOME, but not all the way lol. I would love to run stiffer springs, but it aint happening cause i cant afford Teins.

So right now im looking at:

Splitter: $50? plywood and mounting materials
Rear venting: Free
Rear APR wing: Free (already have one)
Intake: $75? (filter and MAF tube)
Header: $250
Pulley: $125
Brake ducting: Free (only bc i already bought it, about $75)
Brake pads: $100
Front camber slotting: Free
Rear PG spacers: Free (have them already)
Polyurethane bushing fill: $5-10?

So we are looking at a total of about $600. I cant realy swing that, so i will try to see what i can do with my contacts. The competition is on a national stage and does get magazine time, so this could potentially be very helpful, especially to the Yaris/B-Car segment.

Another idea would be to raise money and run Yaris-World sponsorship!! That would be kinda cool :) Maybe bring the community to the fore front, eh? Show everyone that this car is a fun little thing that is capable of slaying giants. Anyways, just a thought!

Give me some input on mods or ideas for money. I think this is very doable. We have a test session coming in 4 weeks and the event is in 5 weeks. I have talked to some friends and they really want to do this!! so lets see what we can do!! :)
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
well you already know i'm here to custom fab whatever parts you may need :D
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Ken , I think you should do the RTA , but I think you shouldn't spend a penny more than gas and hotel room . Think about it . You will be up against Mazdaspeed 3 , Mini Cooper S , Mitsu Eclipse , SRT 4 and a few more . Any of those cars can get a ECU reflash/turbo ugrade and still be stock . Also keep in mind CMP has 3 long straights ( turn 10 is just a kink and should be done wide open at 100+ mph , yes it will take as you put it "balls" ) unlike RR that only has 1 long straight . When you do turn 10 and approach turn 11 , don't be like most peeps and downshift through every gear ( 5th to 2nd ) just go straight from 4th to 2nd ( The Yaris won't see 5th gear at CMP ) . Remember you don't have sequential trans .

I think your best bet would be to use what you have . Maybe get some coaching from peeps who have been to CMP ( JonK ) or maybe watch some in car video to learn the turn in/breaking points (me) . Use this event as a learning experience with no expectations . You might actually surprise yourself .

How much is entry fee ?
Grey asked me to co-drive his Miata , so I'm thinking about it
Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
If you want to go fast, then spend the money on springs and brakes. Aero would be good for top speed...but most of the lap will be spent braking for and accelerating out of turns.

You'll be able to make up tons of time if you can increase your corner speed (even a little bit) as this is where the Yaris will have the advantage over almost everything else out there. This thing can corner crazy quick, and if you have a 10-15mph speed advantage leaving a corner it will take either a long (like really long!) straight or tons of power to get the same advantage through top speed alone.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

alright, good point. The car is fast as is, so better not mess with it.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Also looking into getting a 4 point bar installed. I have had several people say skip the aero, which surprised me.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
get some Rcomps too :D
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

stock class require street tires! Im trying to do this cheap Joel lol
Old 07-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
HTM is right. You can have fun, but the Yaris really can't compete in that stock class.

Don't add the weight of a roll cage. The Yaris will hold up adequately in a rollover at the speeds you're likely to attain in cornering at a typical race track.

Toyo R1R is going to be your best tire choice at present.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

Drives: Scion xD
Send a message via AIM to Zefoxe
try hitting up PTuning for a small sponsorship, I know they have a xA that competes in Redline and I'm pretty sure they're in your neck of the woods.

Coming 2010: Toyota iSt CK edition (CooperKiller) stay tuned
Zefoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #12
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
While it would be fun, and great to represent a Yaris, you can't be serious, thats like taking a poodle to a pitbull fight LOL. Stick to autocross.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #13
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
A stock yaris on good tires and suspension can and does keep up with a spec miata on a short road course (think streets of willow).
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote