Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
GPS revisited

I have tried many locations, and I don't use the suction cup window mount.
I use a bean bag device that sits on top of the dashboard.
The best place is directly in front of me on the dash.
The biggest problem I now have is the distracting glare of the GPS on the windshield at night.
Is there any way to resolve this?
If I move the GPS forward, the positioning of the glare on the windshield is not quite as bad, but I run the risk of the GPS sliding off the dash into my lap or on the floor.
I have heard of others mounting the GPS on the steering wheel but how do you attach it? Do you use the round plastic disc and stick it to the steering wheel column? Please, if at all possible, give detailed instructions so I can give it a try. Thank you.
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1950 View Post
I have tried many locations, and I don't use the suction cup window mount.
I use a bean bag device that sits on top of the dashboard.
The best place is directly in front of me on the dash.
The biggest problem I now have is the distracting glare of the GPS on the windshield at night.
Is there any way to resolve this?
If I move the GPS forward, the positioning of the glare on the windshield is not quite as bad, but I run the risk of the GPS sliding off the dash into my lap or on the floor.
I have heard of others mounting the GPS on the steering wheel but how do you attach it? Do you use the round plastic disc and stick it to the steering wheel column? Please, if at all possible, give detailed instructions so I can give it a try. Thank you.
Best bet is to turn it off and put it on the floor, then you won't be blinded by my high-beams as I try to see past the glare of your GPS unit. It is SO freakin' annoying to follow those things - close second to the vans with DVDs. Those get high-beams all the way..... So f'ing selfish.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
SailDesign

Drives: .
That said - the best place is where it will NEVER be seen by following traffic.
If you mount it IN the driver's side glove box, it will not glare on the windshield, and will be hidden when the car is parked without having to be dismounted each time. Obviously you open the glove box to use it....

Last edited by SailDesign; 11-16-2010 at 04:09 PM.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I actually place my window mount inside my cup holder to the left of the steering wheel. In that position it "hangs" over the front. Works great. But I only put it there when I really need it, which is once a month. Otherwise I fits great in the glovebox. :-)
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
I actually place my window mount inside my cup holder to the left of the steering wheel. In that position it "hangs" over the front. Works great. But I only put it there when I really need it, which is once a month. Otherwise I fits great in the glovebox. :-)
So you use the attachment for window mounting and hang it from the cup holder? It would be pretty tricky trying to sit the unit on the cup holder without anything to hold it in place. Well, maybe some super crazy glue.
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I have mine like this:

No glare problems w/ my Garmin NuLink 1695.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote