Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
stevethegimp

Drives: '09 Blazing Blue 3D LB
Marana 12-12-10 Auto-X

Well took the Yaris out again after installing Tokico Blue Shocks and MI Springs. The car felt a lot more planted but I think i'm hitting the max grip for my tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIYWx1KsRA

Overall i'm very happy with the car and the responses I get are priceless. Pretty much everyone is surprised at how well the Yaris can drive once you tear out that terrible stock suspension.

Last edited by stevethegimp; 12-13-2010 at 09:35 PM.
stevethegimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
The last time I took my Yaris on the auto X track they all basically giggled at me ... but when I started going they where impressed!

And that was completely stock! So I can only imagine what kinda responses you got!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
stevethegimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkndacn View Post
The last time I took my Yaris on the auto X track they all basically giggled at me ... but when I started going they where impressed!

And that was completely stock! So I can only imagine what kinda responses you got!
Haha the suspension upgrades are pretty awesome! Our local announcers always heckle me but as I keep coming out they seems to be cheering me on more and more.

And I think I placed 2nd in Novice in the entire series so i'm pretty satisfied. Nothing like beating Corvettes and CTS-V's to make my day.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
lol, same story here dude.. but i was running a crx for 2 years then bought the 2010 yaris in august. they laughed. i threw on the 225/50/15 R comp tires. i ran H stock and peoples mouth droped. savannah/jacksonville are usually a couple years behind the US west coast.. grats on your novice placed... id definitly try to buy some used R compound tires with no more than 100 tread wear and buy a set of extra wheels to swap at the events. once u go R comp tires, street tires will never feel the same.. lol
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
stevethegimp

So sadly I think my new "mods" today might put me into a new class- Wounded.

It's ugly but the only actual mechanical/structural damage appears to be limited to the hood, bumper, and radiator. I completely missed the front bumper support on my car and the SUV in front of me only had a scraped bumper and bent tow hook, guess i'm low enough lol.

Word to the wise....take your safe following distance and increase it by at least an additional second when encountering sandy intersections and random people that stall while turning. *sigh*
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
stevethegimp

And final crash update: Looks like I lucked out and didn't damage any structural or mechanical parts aside from the radiator. Car is out for repairs for a week and i'll be looking at upgrading the braking system when I get it back.

Overall sucky experience but I guess it could have been much worse.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
yea i had the same thing happen to my rear bumper :(
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
damn, tight course. you had your hands full on that one.

Nice color on the yaris!
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote