Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Went from 32mpg combined to 37mpg (changed from "normal" driving to mild hypermiling)

So I've been calculating recent tanks and have averaged 32-33 mpg. 32 matches the EPA combined estimate so it's an acceptable number for me. However, my renewed interest in squeezing out the best MPG possible had me switch to mild hypermiling on this last tank. I was able to up it to 37 MPG. This is very good I think considering it's 50/50 city/highway. It is 115% of EPA estimates. Keep in mind that I have wide 16" wheels on my Yaris and I used A/C 50% of the time. I have also not yet changed original spark plugs on a car with 122,000 miles on it. Also, I go though drive thru's all week, which has a lot of idling down time.

These are the techniques I used to achieve this:

Again, these are all reasonable hypermiling techniques. I refuse to do anything that adds unnecessary wear and tear to the vehicle (which negates fuel savings), do anything unsafe, or create road rage by annoying other drivers.

These are nothing new, but just thought I'd share my experiences.

- Drive while barely using the gas and brake pedals. That's right. You'd be amazed at how little you really need to use them. The brake pedal is just as bad to efficiency as the gas, so lay off it. It's all about gauging traffic and lights way ahead of you and feathering the gas as light as possible. Most people remain on the gas right up until they need to brake. Even when they see a red light or stop sign. It's ridiculous. When ever accelerating, do so with an extremely light foot. Accelerate just fast enough not to drive the person behind you nuts. There's a happy medium from racing off the line and disrupting traffic.

- Maintain all the built up momentum you can. Tying in with the above, why brake prematurely when not completely necessary? When exiting off the highway, I begin to coast in gear ahead of time and without braking, take the exit quicker than most in order to maintain momentum. Often times, I won't need to hit the gas again until the exit ramp is completed.

- Using DFCO (deceleration fuel cut-off) to its maximum advantage. Again, this ties into maximizing momentum. The car jumps to infinite mpg when decelerating in gear with your foot off the gas. Simply do this as much as possible. Again, look way ahead of you for red lights, stop signs, and traffic and stop gassing it as soon as possible keeping just enough momentum to make it to the stop.

- If you drive a manual, shift as early as possible without lugging the engine. If I'm on level ground or on a downhill, then I'm in 5th at about 30mph. Keep those RPM's as low as possible!

- When getting into your car, don't start the engine until you are ready to go. Ever notice how you normally get in and start immediately and then put your belt on, play with the radio, or any of a number of other things before actually taking off? This minute of idling gets you 0 mpg and it adds up with each start. And don't think that the car needs "warming up". It doesn't.

- I also incorporated some pulse and glide. Accelerate slowly and then coast a bit and repeat.

- And obviously, just drive the speed limit. Pretty simple. In some cases, you may even dive below, particularly on the highway - especially if you're in a state with a limit over 65. In some cases, I kept it down to 60 in a 65.

I do not go to such extremes as constantly shutting off the engine at every red light or coasting with the engine off. Some argue that there isn't much wear and tear but I disagree. I don't think it's worth it. I also don't draft. I don't over-inflate my tires. I could bring it to 40 mpg with such techniques, but early repair bills are much more costly than a little saved gas.

Sorry for the long post and redundant material, but I just figured I'd share for anyone frustrated with their mileage. Incorporate the above, and I assure you that you can beat the EPA ratings.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Thanks for taking the time to reaffirm those practical driving techniques. You've inspired me to give them a try.

So far our gas mileage average hasn't dropped below 35 just with normal driving, no 5th gear freeway, but with an advantage of no heavy stop and go traffic. With 600 miles, the engine is still breaking in.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Amazing what changes of driving habits can do for savings . Do many of the things mentioned above . Here's the gas mileage w/ the '08 sedan thus far . Likely do a fill on Monday . Keep on a rollin' ( coasting ) .
Attached Images

Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Kal-El

I should also mention that all of my trips are short and less than 15 minutes, which notoriously lowers overall gas mileage - compared to ideal long highway trips. And unfortunately, I live in the city with lots of traffic.

So while 37 may seem unimpressive on the surface, for my conditions it's quite a feat.

I just got my Ultra-Gauge in and set it up yesterday for this new tank.
I look forward to seeing continued improvements.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Hershey

Keep us dated with the Ultragauge performance and gas mileage .
Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yep, it's all about removing weight in the right foot :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I should also mention that all of my trips are short and less than 15 minutes, which notoriously lowers overall gas mileage - compared to ideal long highway trips. And unfortunately, I live in the city with lots of traffic.

So while 37 may seem unimpressive on the surface, for my conditions it's quite a feat.

I just got my Ultra-Gauge in and set it up yesterday for this new tank.
I look forward to seeing continued improvements.
That's great gas mileage for the conditions. What you call mild hypermiling I would call moderate, and those are great techniques you are using and you explained them very well.

I use all the techniques you do except the slow starts (I am getting better ) and the pulse and glide. I have my tires at 40 lbs and do draft behind trucks, at 2 seconds behind, at the end of the low pressure cone. Learning to use DCFO was the biggest gainer for me. Now I am always over 40 mpg. But my conditions are better. All my trips are more than 15 minutes and is more varied city/country/highway.

Enjoy your Ultra-Gauge. Be care not to watch it too much. I have had a Scanguage for about 5 years and still tend to find myself looking at it instead to the road

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
One thing I use a lot for consistantly getting in the low to mid 40's: my rear view mirror.

I go slow when I can, but never annoy people. Except if I'm going the limit, say 45 on a secondary road I drive a lot, I ain't speeding up over 45 no matter if someone is on my ass, they are welcome to go around or slow down, I don't care which. When I see a light up ahead, before I plan how to deal with it, I look in the mirror, and make the plan accordingly. It sounds like a lot of work but actually it makes the drive more engaging and entertaining, plus better mileage of course. Half the fun is mildly hypermiling without others knowing or noticing. The Yaris is the only car I've owned where I look forward to needing fuel, then I can do the math, double checking the ScanGauge, pretty sick but better then dreading it like most do!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I have actually been able to get on occasion better gas mileage in the city than on the highway. (usually somewhere around 4.5-5 L/100 km or 47-52 MPG US) Does this sound possible ?

My scangauge tells me that I am doing everything right as I seem to be able to get better and better gas mileage as time goes on. I think that I am just getting better at judging the traffic conditions and not getting stopped at too many red lights etc.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick996 View Post
That's great gas mileage for the conditions. What you call mild hypermiling I would call moderate, and those are great techniques you are using and you explained them very well.
You are probably right considering it "moderate". I'm at least close to moderate. There is indeed a wide range of hypermiling levels.

I would consider "extreme" once you begin shutting your engine off at every stop or even to coast powerless to a stop. Some people do some pretty crazy things like rolling starts (perhaps on a downhill). Or how about stripping their cars to the bone (taking rear seats and the spare tire out)? Or pumping their tires to 60psi.

Quote:
I use all the techniques you do except the slow starts (I am getting better ) and the pulse and glide. I have my tires at 40 lbs and do draft behind trucks, at 2 seconds behind, at the end of the low pressure cone. Learning to use DCFO was the biggest gainer for me. Now I am always over 40 mpg. But my conditions are better. All my trips are more than 15 minutes and is more varied city/country/highway.
My car was a long distance commuter for a while, hence the 122,000 miles. Amazing the difference it makes. 40+mpg was easy with no hypermiling. Even on a 1200 mile road trip last year with my car packed full and driving 80 mph, I averaged 39mpg.

I'm already noticing from the Ultra-Gauge how much idling at stops kills overall MPG. It's actually quite depressing and almost makes me want to shut the engine off as I watch my average mpg indicator ease down. Damn city driving.

Quote:
Enjoy your Ultra-Gauge. Be care not to watch it too much. I have had a Scanguage for about 5 years and still tend to find myself looking at it instead to the road
Tell me about it. I need to make a conscious effort to look at the road primarily, not the gauge. Especially the instant mpg gauge constantly moving up and down so dramatically. That's the first big thing you notice is how such little things effect MPG so greatly. Under very soft acceleration, for example, you're really only getting about 10-15mpg on average under the acceleration moment, even in a Yaris. In the end, the Yaris ends up at least in the mid 30's from all the times you coasted or maintained steady speeds. Acceleration and idling are the huge killers (obviously). Just didn't realize how low it really was to get up to speed.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
Hershey

Did a fill earlier of Sunoco 89 w/E10 . Eco-Meter showed 41.4 m.p.g. ( @ 94 ) and calculated 42.796 ( 430.4 mis. / 10.057 gals. @ 1 click ) . Bar was blinking about 12 miles before fill . May reset E.M. to 95 .
Old 05-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
turning the engine off at red lights is only a strange thing in the US. Europe and Japan it is what everyone does, because it saves fuel.

Oh, and gutting the car is more for fun and handling than gas mileage. You simply don't have the ability to take enough weight out of the Yaris to make a significant difference over learning to drive better.

It would be different if there are 600 lbs or more to take out, but even Jason's Yaris is 1800lbs stripped. From what I gathered, removing the rear seats and everything behind only takes out a little over 100lbs.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
turning the engine off at red lights is only a strange thing in the US. Europe and Japan it is what everyone does, because it saves fuel.
I don't doubt it. If we Americans were paying $10/gal, I'm sure we'd all be shutting our engines off at each intersection as well. So far though, our government doesn't impose astronomical taxes on gas knowing it would destroy our economy. So far.

We'd also not have huge vehicles everywhere too, but that's another story.

I would, and have done a few times, shut off the engine at huge intersections that I know take 5 minutes to cycle. I don't find it useful to turn it off at each small 2 cycle intersection.