Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
changing belt, need help, think I have a MAJOR problem

Tried changing my belt today. Got the top bolt loosened and tried loosening the bottom 14mm bolt but it would not budge. So I sprayed a little wd40 and waited, then tried again and stripped the bolt. then I got another 14mm socket that had less points on it and tried with it. Stripped even more. Now I got a pretty much rounded bolt.

what can I do aside from taking it to the dealer and them charging me $200 to replace the belt. (their quote a few weeks ago)
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
JayPrimo

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5mt
Hmmmm.....They make these sockets called "Turbo Sockets" for rounded off bolts, look like this....

They are specifically for stripped/rounded bolts, and will bite into the rounded bolt head as it turns. You should be able to find some cheapo brand at your local auto parts/tools stores for very little money. Harbor Freight carries them but I don't know if you have that chain in your location. I'd recommend buying the size the bolt is and also one size above, just in case. (ex. if its a 10mm bolt, also buy an 11mm turbo socket)

Don't fret buddy, rounded bolts are no big deal. Stripped bolts, now that's scary territory lol. Just make sure you have a replacement bolt handy before you bother removing it.

Good luck
JayPrimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Oh, thats a good point, where am I going to get the exact right bolt to replace it? I guess the dealership and ask for the specific bolt?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
jason214

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I think the bolt you need is item #2 in the picture.

P/N
#2: 90105-10075
#3: 90119-08A53
Attached Images
File Type: png ill.png (5.9 KB, 245 views)
jason214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I'm a little worried that the bolt didnt even budge. I mean I put a lot of torque on that thing and it stripped the head. should I put more WD40 on there or some liquid wrench on there? I just dont want to shear off the head or something...

Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Mine was bent on Crashy2, so it snapped when I tried to remove it. That actually made it easier, as it snapped where the threads begin, right at the alternator. Then the section with the head attached just pulled out, and I was able to then easily remove the alternator to allow me to drill a hole in the remaining part and use an easy-out to remove it. I replaced it with a grade 8.8 bolt and coated the threads with never-seize.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

LOL wow, thats actually pretty scary to me, heh. I have no idea how I would cope if that happened to me. How did you get in there and drill a hole in the broken bolt? I can hardly get my socket wrench in there with a socket on it. I just hope the liquid wrench helps some.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
You need an extension on your spanner or wrench.This gives you that extra oomph you need to loosen that bolt.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #9
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Don't buy a replacement from Toyota. They're pre-rounded at the top of where the wrench bites. I rounded mine off and bought a Toyota replacement, then decided it was garbage. I'll try to find it and take a picture of it next to a regular bolt for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
LOL wow, thats actually pretty scary to me, heh. I have no idea how I would cope if that happened to me. How did you get in there and drill a hole in the broken bolt? I can hardly get my socket wrench in there with a socket on it. I just hope the liquid wrench helps some.
The bolt goes through two through-hole on the engine bracket, so if the bolt breaks the part that remains in the alternator is just in the alternator, so you can simply pull the alternator off to work on it.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
You need an extension on your spanner or wrench.This gives you that extra oomph you need to loosen that bolt.

This

It will also allow you to gradually apply a significant amount of force to the bolt without having to struggle and potentially letting the socket shift/slip which is usually how these problems start. I use a 15" length of copper pipe.

Did you get it worked out OP?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I went to harbor freight this weekend and did not find any stripped bolt extractor socket (maybe they were sold out of them?). Since I don't have a replacement bolt for it (getting from dealership today) and its not an emergency, I'm going to see if I can order the bolt extractor sockets online. I did find a 17" breaker bar but I don't know the size of the sockets yet so I didn't buy that. heh Hopefully this will get done eventually... hehe

Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
I went to harbor freight this weekend and did not find any stripped bolt extractor socket (maybe they were sold out of them?). Since I don't have a replacement bolt for it (getting from dealership today) and its not an emergency, I'm going to see if I can order the bolt extractor sockets online. I did find a 17" breaker bar but I don't know the size of the sockets yet so I didn't buy that. heh Hopefully this will get done eventually... hehe
What you need is to soak the bolt in releasing fluid, not WD40. I use Plus gas. which is excellent but I do not know if it is available in the USA. It will creep along the bolt and loosen the corrosion. Failing that diesel is a good releasing fluid. Use a six point socket and work the fluid in by turning the bolt slightly to and fro.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
what can I do aside from taking it to the dealer and them charging me $200 to replace the belt. (their quote a few weeks ago)
Take it to any local mechanic and just have the simple job of removing the bolt done.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
junorico24

What has happened is you didn't apply enough force/torque on it. The socket is moving but the bolt will not budge then you end up stripping it. That's what happened to me. I stripped it as well. I realized i wasn't applying enough force down on it. So I got an extension. I used one of these

because I was kind of scurred at the time that I stuffed it up.So i just got something I could find. But it worked for me it helped to put down enough force/torque on the bolt.So the socket spun the bolt and not just the socket spinning around the bolt.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Thanks all, the bolt will arrive on Wednesday (ordered it from toyota dealer) and talked to my father-in-law, he has a mechanic buddy that has the tools to remove the rounded bolt for me (so I don't have to buy just for one use). I'll take it to him and hopefully by this weekend this will all be a distant memory, heh.

I have some "Liquid Wrench" at home. I will put some of that on each day over the course of the week. Hopefully that will work better than the WD40. That way its nice and lubed up for the mechanic guy to twist off.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Most likely what happened was a cheap socket was used.

I had to use a 3 foot braker bar with a 6 point (SnapOn)socket to get mine off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
What has happened is you didn't apply enough force/torque on it. The socket is moving but the bolt will not budge then you end up stripping it. That's what happened to me. I stripped it as well. I realized i wasn't applying enough force down on it. So I got an extension. I used one of these

because I was kind of scurred at the time that I stuffed it up.So i just got something I could find. But it worked for me it helped to put down enough force/torque on the bolt.So the socket spun the bolt and not just the socket spinning around the bolt.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Most likely what happened was a cheap socket was used.

I had to use a 3 foot braker bar with a 6 point (SnapOn)socket to get mine off.
Exactly, the quality of tools you use can also have an impact. I used a poor mans socket set but with a that tyre

nut loosening thing ma gee! lol it worked but i stripped it without the 4 way tire nut cracker extension.