Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #1
Fergzie

Drives: Yaris
Yaris 2012 1.3 vvti stalling cold, doesn't restart for 5 minutes

Hi

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or has any ideas on this one -

I've stalled my car a couple of times leavingfor work first thing in the morning (tiredness and a light clutch don't mix well!) but when I try to restart it like you normally would when you've stalled the engine turns over but doesn't catch.

(car starts normally if stalled once warm - deliberately stalled it warm to check)

If you keep trying it continues to do this until it's been left for 5-10 minutes then when you go back to it it starts again.

The first 2 times it did it the aircon and heater were up full and I wondered if they were drawing from the battery too much in some way but today it happened with nothing on in the car.

Bit of mystery and I've been told if I take it to the Toyota garage (having already spoken to the Renault garage I purchased it from) if they can't recreate the fault they'll charge me for time.

If anyone can tell me if they'veexperienced similar or have any ideas as to what might be causing this it would be great to hear them.

Thanks
Fergzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Is is below freezing cold? And, is alcohol added to the gasoline over there, like it is here?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
Fergzie

Drives: Yaris
Nope this morning was maybe 3-4 degrees c? Single figures but certainly not below freezing.

I'm not 100% on that to be honest. It is the petrol engine (don't know if gas refers to petrol or diesel - sorry for showing my ignorance!)

It doesn't have any issue starting first time - only after you've stalled it so that's why I haven't really thought down the line of it being bad petrol.

The timing just seems odd because it starts first time every time and will restart from a stall once it's run for a little bit, the problem only arises when you stall within the first minute or so of starting the engine
Fergzie is offline   Reply With Quote