Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
bigpej

Drives: Black Yaris 5-Door Hatchback
KROWN or OIL rustproofing for winter??

hello,

i'm trying to decide on rustproofing to protect as much as possible from salty winter roads. i've been told that the dealer's stuff is absolute garbage and go to aftermarket shops. two places were suggested - KROWN spray or oil spray for the underside, inside the panels, and engine, estimated at about $120 CDN.

they both sound attractive and i'm planning to keep my yaris for a while and take care of it. any recommendations or other options?
bigpej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I've done Krown for the last 2 years. No problems yet! I like that the price won't go up as long as you goto them every year. Oh, and Krown is oil based anyway.

Only problem is that the oil leaks out the bottoms of the doors throughout the year... constantly have to wipe it off. But this would be the same issue with any rustproofing.

And I went to the Krown on Catherine St.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
talapus

Drives: 2007 Yaris
While I was buying my Yaris the dealer really pushed the rust proofing package .. which was $800 reduced to $600 on special which I declined. The the woman who was only there to do up my invoice but funny enough kept pushing crap on me and making me sign wavers and laying guilt trips ... pulled out this one. "If you take your car to get rust proofed any where else you will lose your Toyota sheet metal warranty because they drill holes"........ I don't know if its true or not but the thing is I have never heard ever of anyone making a claim on this warranty.

I am planning on using an after market rust proofer so I will be looking into that remark.

Does anyone know if its true or not ?

I really hate dealers, was hoping Toyota was different but all the crap they pulled to get more money out of me proved they all suck.
talapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
Goalie

Drives: 07 LB, PP, CP, AWP, 5spd-Black
Guys, I am in the Aviation industry and there are several products that are avialable.

One comment is the weeping out the doors. In the aircraft products, there are several properties for several different uses.

Some are very thin and "creep" in tight areas and into layers of structure. Others go on very heavy and stay soft until wiped off. Some go on very thin and then "skin" over to a nice waxy film. This is good for the long term leaking out bottom of doors but will leak out right after application. This is very difficult to wash off, as intended but stick great.

I plan to use the thin fluid that "sets up" in about an hour. It is called Boeshield T9.
Check out the properties of the product. http://www.boeshield.com/

It works real well inside the floats in salt water applications. We reapply every other year and keeps that pesky white corrosion from starting.

My grandpa used Automatic Transmission Fluid and he had a Dodge pick up that looked like new for like 25 years in MINNESOTA!!!!!!!

Anyone else have any good luck with any of the Ziebart service or similar?? What is the typical cost of the servce and what do they actually do? I have seen some undercoating just sprayed here and there.

My 2 Cents
Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote