Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

OMG MY K&N FILTER!!!

Doesn't feel/seem any different, but i wasn't expecting it to.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to see if anyone else has noticed some small performance gains (if any) or any gains in fuel economy.

What's your thoughts on it ? And I paid $50 after tax @ autozone for it.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
congrats on your purchase. keep it clean, a clean filter is a must!

oh and don't waste money on the k&n cleaning kit. use simple-green to wash the filter and oil with a similar oil to the K&N kit
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post

oh and don't waste money on the k&n cleaning kit. use simple-green to wash the filter and oil with a similar oil to the K&N kit
Thanks for the tip, i got some laying around the house, saved me some $
Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post

I havent Cleaned my K&N Yet what kind of oil would that be exactly
Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkhangel View Post
I havent Cleaned my K&N Yet what kind of oil would that be exactly
i'd be curious also to hear what type of oil people use instead? i've had k&n's on my past 2 vehicles and liked them, but hated paying what they charge for their 'recharge' kit. i haven't bought one for my yaris yet because i know you have to keep them clean and oiled to work(and avoid damage to your engine), but i just don't want to keep paying for that overpriced cleaning kit!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
...i just don't want to keep paying for that overpriced cleaning kit!
Keep paying for them? One kit last for multiple cleanings, which only need to be done every 50,000 miles for regular street driving...
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Keep paying for them? One kit last for multiple cleanings, which only need to be done every 50,000 miles for regular street driving...
+ 1...I have K&N's in my Sequoia, TSX and Yaris. I've made the cleaner kit last several years. I agree on being cautious with over-oiling.

In terms of performance gains, it's hard to tell. I do exceed the EPA mileage on all three cars.
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I've had my cleaning kit for like 10+ years and have cleaned filters like 10 times with it...I've got like half a container left of the cleaner and oil too
Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
http://www.fastcycleparts.com/showpr...4756&aid=10050

is a good substitute.

any oil recommended for filter oiling, whether foam or fabric, will work.

regular motor oil does not have any "stickiness" to it and will not work.

do not over-oil your filter!

edit: also just read that bar and chain oil (for chainsaws) works if used in small quantities (not recommended for cold-weather applications)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Yaribhini
Banned

Drives: Yaris
I can't think of a bigger waste of money than a K&N filter for a yaris. It has absolutely zero benefits and it's filtering capability is much, much worse than a paper element so you end up with a dirtier motor/throttle.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaribhini View Post
I can't think of a bigger waste of money than a K&N filter for a yaris. It has absolutely zero benefits and it's filtering capability is much, much worse than a paper element so you end up with a dirtier motor/throttle.
Yessir, but don't tell the Yaris fanatics that, how else would K&N make so much money?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
i've already noticed a tad bit better gas economy comparing results with my SG2, and considering it is lifetime guaranteed', by the time i change my filter twice with the gas ive saved after all those miles it will have paid for itself and more.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Um, no ...
K&n filtration/cfm flow is the highest of any aftermarket filter(many winning baja/off-road/track vehicals used k&n filters) . I'm running a k&n drop-in but I hacked my stock air box and flipped it upside down , so the filter is facing up . I also have a vented hood, so its getting air from outside the engine bay , so in my application its works just as good as any sri for 30 bucks . I could see how you dont notice any gains with the filter in stock configuration .
Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
Um, no ...
K&n filtration/cfm flow is the highest of any aftermarket filter(many winning baja/off-road/track vehicals used k&n filters) . I'm running a k&n drop-in but I hacked my stock air box and flipped it upside down , so the filter is facing up . I also have a vented hood, so its getting air from outside the engine bay , so in my application its works just as good as any sri for 30 bucks . I could see how you dont notice any gains with the filter in stock configuration .
wow that's a interesting idea, can you take pics of your set up ?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
One problem with the increased airflow, doesn't the MAF meter just readjust for it?

And if I had one I'd be worried about either using too much oil or not enough. I've been told that they can't harm your MAF but I know that's not always so. A Toyota Avalon owner had a brand new K&N dropin that must have been over-oiled enough that it set a code and couldn't get much over 50% calculated engine load at WOT, until I cleaned the MAF and switched to a WIX filter...code didn't come back and saw well over 80% calculated engine load at WOT on my scanner's datastream.

Maybe someday GreenFilter will come out with a P/N for our Yaris. Similar to a K&N, just a little different approach.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 02-24-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
had a brand new K&N dropin that must have been over-oiled enough that it set a code and couldn't get much over 50% calculated engine load at WOT, until I cleaned the MAF and switched to a WIX filter...code didn't come back and saw well over 80% calculated engine load at WOT on my scanner's datastream.
You're not supposed to use ALL of the oil.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
You're not supposed to use ALL of the oil.
It was a customer that pulled the filter right out of the box and straight into the airbox of his Avalon. He didn't add adrop of oil that wasn't already there.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
When i put the K&N drop in, the yaris felt slightly better/quicker, but not a whole lot. Also seemed smoother on the freeway, its been so long now I can hardly remember though.

As for filtering efficiency, I have a few questions. I checked out a few websites, but can't find any definitive answers. Does anyone have a link to lab results, or measurements of dust and dirt that passed through different types of filters on the same engine? K&N says they filter 99% as much as paper, but i can't imagine 1% extra dust over 200k miles being good. I'd also be interested in seeing some numbers on filtration for cold air intakes, as that might be my next move. But a lot of people seem to think I'd be best off to just put the stock paper back in..

(I've read every viewpoint based on hearsay pertaining to this - that's not what I'm looking for. I need concrete test results of different types of filters(and the crazy guy taking pictures of filters after 500 miles doesn't count :P )
Closed Thread