Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Zyph
I am new :D

Drives: AlexNet0's yaris
Send a message via MSN to Zyph
I'm New :D

Hi :D! My brother (AlexNet0) currently owns a Yaris. He seems to be getting great results with the purchase of the vehicle and I've actually been thinking about purchasing one myself. Could somebody possibly list some of the pros and cons to this vehicle?
Zyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Nice, another member in the family, i mean, another family member in yaris, i mean, Hello!

I do hope you decide to get one when the time comes for it. Ill take you down with me to the NE meet
Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Hmmm...welcome!

I think the only "con" I could think of is if you do a lot of hauling. But then, that depends if you have passengers or not...oh, some don't like the seats and say they are uncomfortable...

Most of us LOVE this car....good price for quality, the MPGs, it's fun....

How do you like your brother's car? You have the best "test drive" opportunities out there. =) I drove mine around the block and new I wanted it.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
Its hard to find cons with this car..... It is a nice econo car with a lot of space inside and great ride....

My complain was that the car sits rather high... but that is fixed with lowered springs... so yeah...

I guess, try and take a test ride and try other cars in this small car segment as well... Go for the car which suits your taste and preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Welcome. I think your brother could answer this as much as anyone else. Also, read this link

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=good+bad
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Zyph

Well, thanks for the information, and I'll be sure to come back here with any of my questions about a Yaris :D.
Does anybody else have personal likes/dislikes that they would be willing to post?

Also, WeeYari: Yeah, he's given me good facts about the Yaris, but I'm looking for more personal opinions on what people think of the car. Thank you for the link by the way.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
AlexNet0

Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
here you go :-)

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12452
Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
It's the most bang for your buck but the more money you are willing to spend the more competition there is. Did that make sense?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Only thing the Yaris isn't excellent for is raw cargo-hauling, if you need that and don't want to spring for the 60/40 split-foldflat rear seat, I'll be honest, get a Fit. :-)
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Welcome!

I can only say, if you're used to power or want something powerful, don't get a Yaris.

If you want to save money on gas and look cool while doing it, it's perfect.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Hello! Here' a post of my initial opinions right after I bought mine

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=53

Overall, I am really happy with it, but if you read my post you'll see a few things that take getting used to.

Another thing EVERYONE is talking about what great fuel economy they get... mine isn't that great =/ But I don't do any hypermiling, I am driving just like I did with my 16 year old nissan sedan, and I am filling up gas as often as I did with that car. Idk, I was just expecting some huge "WOW I havent filled up gas in weeks!" out come because everyone mentions the fuel economy.. but I am not getting that. I haven't done the math though, I will next fill up and if its really bad I'll try to figure out why.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I love my Yaris as well, and am very happy with it overall, but I do have a few "issues."

For one, I was expecting a little more gas mileage. With my slgihtly larger tires, I am getting 34-35 MPG, which is good but I honestly expected a bit higher. But I also have an auto so that plays into it.

Secondly, this is an inexpensive car, so some small things like lighted and locking gloveboxes, a rear hatch release, standard split-folding rear seat on the hatchback and such are missing.

Lastly, there isn't a lot of power out of the 1.5L engine. It is sufficient and about what you would except for a car in this class, but coming from a VW Passat with a VR6 engine it feels a bit weak.

But those are minor things, and are very overshadowed by what an outstanding car it is. It may not be fast, but it handles well especially if you put wider tires on it like I have. It is also fun to drive, you don't have to go fast to enjoy it. Plus, as you can see on some of the examples shown in this forum, there are lots of things you can do to "personalize" the car. I work with a guy who has a Kia Rio and there is not much you can do to one of those. The Yaris, on the other hand, can be modded almost without limits.

Also, you get Toyota quality at a great price. I strongly believe the Yaris will be good for ten years or more with standard maintenance. Also, it seems to be easy to repair yourself if you are so inclined.

Lastly, it's just my opinion but I think it is sharp-looking little car! It reminds me a lot of the cars I see in Europe (where it is very popular) and unlike the new Beetles, Minis, Civics and the like, you don't see Yarii all over the place. It attracts a lot of attention and complimentary remarks, making it a bit special. I like that.

I have a son who will be looking for a car in a few years, and I will probably try and find him a used Yaris. It is an excellent choice for those on a budget, or even those not on one. I could have easily afforded a much more expensive car, but I fell for the Yaris the first time I saw one and knew I would end up owning one. It's been a decision I have been very happy with...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
AlexNet0

This will be his first car, and its a year or so away before he will be in a position to buy a car, but I hope to keep him (and my other brother) inspired to buy a yaris, lol.

He was telling me after a few hours of browsing that now he is really liking the yaris
Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Zyph

Yeah, I'm really considering getting a Yaris as my first official car (because everybody has a junk car first :]). The gas mileage is a major plus, because it'll get busy very soon for me, and I won't have much time or much money (hopefully not) to worry about gas.
I'm not sure I'll be worrying about hauling anything either, the type of work I'm into doesn't require heavy loads.
You guys have been a really big help.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Welcome to YW!

Only 2 cons to this car: a smelly ventilation system (which can easily be taken care of), and the ride quality because of its' height, like jinxor said.

Other than that, way too many pros to list. It's perfect for basic transportation

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
Zyph

Can anybody give me some tips as to what to watch out for when I first get one? Like...basically instructions as what not to do?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Crash Yeah, I really recommend that as something not to do.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
If you're a modder, don't go out snatching up $100 mods. Save up for the big toys.

If you're a normal driver, don't mistake your DRL's for head lights. I got pulled over 2 hours after buying it for that.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alexnet0, beginner, purchase, yaris