Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Scion FR-S aka Toyota FT-86?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/photo...mentid=1184099

Toyota better not market it under Scion....it'll raise the suggested 20k to 30k possibly....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
friend from toyota confirmed this will be badge as scion... sorry man ..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Wow, what are the specs on that thing?
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/photo...mentid=1184099

Toyota better not market it under Scion....it'll raise the suggested 20k to 30k possibly....
Scion needs a big boost. This is exactly the attention they need for the Scion brand. Still, there's still some hesitation by some to buy into Scion. Selling it as a Scion will undoubtedly lower potential sales. With this and the iQ coming, maybe Scion will be revitalized. Sales have really lagged lately and the new tC disappointed many.

Also, why would a Scion badge raise the price? Scions are cheaper than Toyota's when you factor in all the standard features. Check out the xD. Comes loaded for under $16K. A loaded Yaris (still less features and smaller engine) will cost more than that.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Scion needs a big boost. This is exactly the attention they need for the Scion brand. Still, there's still some hesitation by some to buy into Scion. Selling it as a Scion will undoubtedly lower potential sales. With this and the iQ coming, maybe Scion will be revitalized. Sales have really lagged lately and the new tC disappointed many.

Also, why would a Scion badge raise the price? Scions are cheaper than Toyota's when you factor in all the standard features. Check out the xD. Comes loaded for under $16K. A loaded Yaris (still less features and smaller engine) will cost more than that.
They do, I've seen the raised pricing on models like xD and used xA and xB (1st gen models)....Stevens Creek Toyota, Hayward Toyota, Piercey Toyota, Fremont Toyota....i can go on and on about the other dealerships pricey Scion models.
The Scion (Netz) iQ is suppose to be around the 17k mark, MORE than a well equipped Yaris.....Scion are overpriced....maybe not on your end~

And Scion are a waste....at least the direction they are headed. Not back in the xA and xB days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
toyota doesnt make sports cars anymore.

so why wouldnt they do the scion thing??? i see scion as a niche for sporty mid and small sized cars. specially since they have all those commercials about mod-ing the things. you'll never see a toyota commercial with a mod'd car in it. the toyota sports cars died with the supra, and i believe they'll never come out with another sports car.

however...lexus and scion have some, but they're not 'toyota's'
That modding thing they advertise is a JOKE. Most of it are interior upgrades and a few ugly ass body kits...overpriced yet AGAIN~
The only thing i liked was that they had the SuperCharger (?) for the 1st gen tC directly from Toyota...

Scion is NOTHING like Netz and other brands of Toyota in Japan..vast modding options there~

I know because before the Yaris i was about to buy a base model tC 16k out the door at Oakland Toyota in 2007....

I HOPE they dont badge this as a Scion.....reduced expectation of sales...modding community will point and laugh because Scion really hasnt shown a great reputation unlike Nissan, Honda, and Mitsubishi...

Oh well, at least i can get the Subaru version.

Here's hoping that Toyota gives the tuner community a place in its alrady family lineup....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
They do, I've seen the raised pricing on models like xD and used xA and xB (1st gen models)....Stevens Creek Toyota, Hayward Toyota, Piercey Toyota, Fremont Toyota....i can go on and on about the other dealerships pricey Scion models.
The Scion (Netz) iQ is suppose to be around the 17k mark, MORE than a well equipped Yaris.....Scion are overpriced....maybe not on your end~

And Scion are a waste....at least the direction they are headed. Not back in the xA and xB days...

That modding thing they advertise is a JOKE. Most of it are interior upgrades and a few ugly ass body kits...overpriced yet AGAIN~
The only thing i liked was that they had the SuperCharger (?) for the 1st gen tC directly from Toyota...

Scion is NOTHING like Netz and other brands of Toyota in Japan..vast modding options there~

I know because before the Yaris i was about to buy a base model tC 16k out the door at Oakland Toyota in 2007....

I HOPE they dont badge this as a Scion.....reduced expectation of sales...modding community will point and laugh because Scion really hasnt shown a great reputation unlike Nissan, Honda, and Mitsubishi...

Oh well, at least i can get the Subaru version.

Here's hoping that Toyota gives the tuner community a place in its alrady family lineup....

Toyota doesn't care about sports cars anymore. The only low production loss leaders they are interested in is hybrids.

And frankly this thing isnt going to change that. No specs i have seen make me think it could go toe to toe with either a WRX or the STi or Evo. And if it can't it isn't worth producing.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Toyota doesn't care about sports cars anymore. The only low production loss leaders they are interested in is hybrids.

And frankly this thing isnt going to change that. No specs i have seen make me think it could go toe to toe with either a WRX or the STi or Evo. And if it can't it isn't worth producing.
true story. naturally aspirated 2.0 liter boxer. sounds like an angry tractor and makes...150 hp?

When I first heard about the concept I was very very excited (being both a subaru and toyota fan), then they said it was a 2.0 without a turbo

I would almost bet money that my wrx would take it anyday
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
There will be more than one engine available with possibly the STi engine being one of them. I think the base is just the 2.0
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
toyota doesnt make sports cars anymore.

so why wouldnt they do the scion thing??? i see scion as a niche for sporty mid and small sized cars. specially since they have all those commercials about mod-ing the things. you'll never see a toyota commercial with a mod'd car in it. the toyota sports cars died with the supra, and i believe they'll never come out with another sports car.

however...lexus and scion have some, but they're not 'toyota's'
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Lexuas has the LFA...you would think that they would badge the 86 as a Lexus for those that don't have 400k to blow or whatever the LFA runs.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Lexus has the LFA...you would think that they would badge the 86 as a Lexus for those that don't have 400k to blow or whatever the LFA runs.
Well, FT-86 isn't that high class of a car to be a Lexus. So far it looks like this is going to be a low $20K car. Maybe $25K at most. The Lexus lineup starts at $30K. Anything less than about $30K isn't considered "luxury". Even then, it's only entry level luxury.

I agree that Lexus needs an attainable sports car. The LFA is remarkable but only 500 people will ever own one (that's the limit Lexus put on it for exclusivity). Even at $400K, Toyota is losing money on the LFA, believe it or not. Reason being is it took about 8 years to develop and uses exotic materials never used in a car before. Plus the limited run and Toyota will never make the money back.

The SC redesign is expected soon so that may fill the void. Everyone's hoping it is more like the long and sleek 1st gen rather than the short and stubby 2nd gen convertible. My last car was a '93 SC400. One of the best cars ever.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
Kal-El

BTW, we have 2 threads on this car started this week.

Can a mod merge them?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The problem with scions is in general they are overpriced and over optioned, and you can't negotiate the price down.

If this thing is priced anywhere near 30, it will be dead on arrival.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i didn't think the fact that it's gonna be a scion was even in question anymore. thought they revealed that for sure at the new york auto show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMk0VTBBarc

i can't lie it's a very pretty little car imo. but i'll probably end up sticking with yaris til the wheels fall off.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Well I just bought the yaris after i decided my echo wouldn't hold out long enough for the FT (or whatever it ends up being) to be released.

Hopefully it doesn't come to NA as just a Scion, i much prefer the Toyota version. No chance in hell that it comes in under $25k though... well at least here in Canada.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
^^ scion model will retain the 200 horse N/A motor while the toyota version which lands next year will be pushing roughly around 300 with a turbo possibly....
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
^^ scion model will retain the 200 horse N/A motor while the toyota version which lands next year will be pushing roughly around 300 with a turbo possibly....
hopefully this is the case. I cant get rid if AWD for RWD (darn midwest winters), but I would SERIOUSLY consider this car with 300 bhp and a low weight (must be less than 3000 lbs)
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
minired5stby

Drives: Yaris S liftback
I'm all over it if it is 300+ and in red of course.
minired5stby is offline   Reply With Quote