Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Fuel Prices

This is a new thread started on fuel prices and what is fair/unfair/good/bad.

My problem with fuel prices is how weather or breakdowns in a refinery or an oil spill may drastically affect pricing on any given day. I have been driving since 1972 and I don't remember this kind of thing happening until just a few years ago. Pricing was fairly stable for years until the Oil Crisis in 1973 (I think). Even 3 years later though, I was paying 76 cents (yes, that's right) a gallon for gas. I was paying 99 cents in 1991, so in 15 years the price only went up 23 cents. This is fact, because I lived it. We can now see gas go up 23 cents in a day.

I think $2.50 a gallon is too much, for sure. I would like to know exactly what the cost of producing a gallon of gasoline is, then I could either feel better about it or get more upset. I would say that I would get more upset if I found out what it costs to refine.

The entire reason for trading to a Yaris from our trusty 1998 Avalon was fuel economy (also, the Yaris just looks better). I did lots of research before settling on the Yaris because I know that gas prices will be higher again, and one day they will stay higher. I am just heading off the inevitable.

It costs just about 1/2 to fill up the new car than it did the old one. Of course the tank is smaller, but we get just about the same amount of miles from a tank. We have already figured that in gas savings alone, if we keep the Yaris as long as we kept the Avalon, the Yaris will basically be free, due to gas savings alone. So, while I hate $2.50 a gallon gas, we all have to pay it, and it only makes sense to get a car that gets the very best fuel economy.