Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Pingouin

Drives: Yaris
Benefit(s) of bee sting aerial?

Hi all,
Could anyone tell me what are the benefits of a bee sting aerial? the reason I asked is because:
* Cosmetic benefit is really subjective. I don't mind my long aerial, and I think it fits better than a shiny metal sticking out of a black base.
* Since it's made to attract attention, it will also attract thieves (although some have some sort of locking mechanism).
* I heard people routinely stating (incorrectly) that since the shaft is shorter, it will generate less drag. This would be correct if they didn't fail to take into consideration that stock aerials have helical ribs which are aimed at breaking down vortices, and hence reduce drag. Bee sting aerials might be shorter, but since they are are revolution parts (I guess they are typically machined on a lathe?), their round (and thicker?) cross section will inherently generate more vortices, hence more drag. One would then need to calculate whether the short/round/thicker shaft results in less total drag than a longer/ribbed shaft (which honestly I doubt).

Am I missing something or am I right that these things are simply "fashion items" while not offering any real benefits?

Last edited by Pingouin; 09-23-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Pingouin is offline   Reply With Quote