Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Ecometer warning

I went through a couple of bad Ecometers that killed 2 batteries before I found info on this site about excessive power drain from Ecometers and the new improved version that fixed the problem. I sent mine back and they replaced it with their new improved version that didn't function at all. After haggling over the phone they sent me another one 4 months back and it drained my battery so low it barely started yesterday after sitting for 4 days without the alarm on. The dealership did a test proving that this new improved Ecometer still pulls way too much charge when the car is turned off. In fact it pulls the same charge as the earlier one. There is a very good chance if you buy anything with Made in the USA on it these days you are really taking a gamble. Autometer has had every opportunity to make things right but they replaced my old bad unit with 2 new bad units. Maybe some of you out there got replacement Ecometers that are good but if you are having problems with your new one you are not alone. I met a retired businessman from Toyota USA a few weeks back who gave me an interesting statistic. Toyota cars that are assembled in the USA have a 14% higher chance of problems than the same models built in Japan. It's our American pride in our workmanship that is sliding off the cliff. Is it any wonder why our companies are manufacturing over seas. My 4th and final Ecometer is going to the dump where it rightfully belongs. When I was a kid most of the junky products were Japanese now they're becoming American.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote