Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
New Rims / rear spacers/ painted headlights / Updated Pictures / Result of my 36hr r

Recently I did a 2,500 KM (1,600 mile) 36hr roadtrip to Columbus Ohio in order to pick up a used set of what has been one of my favorite rims.

I had ZERO luck with any board members living in Columbus that were willing to help get the wheels (except 33OH who lives couple hrs east of Columbus and was pretty helpful)

The reason for the roadtrip………………… 16x6.5 +42mm SSR Competitions in Gunmetal with Polished Lip

I've wanted these for quite some time because they are Forged (light and strong) / rare ish / and a unique size (16x6.5 rather than x7) that would allow me to lower my car to pretty much any height without rubbing.

The dude that I bought them from, had never ever used them on the street. They were apparently used for his rain autocross tires on a base Mini Cooper. Because they were never street driven, the Rims are totally straight, and in amazing shape for their age (only minor minor marks on a couple of them)

Previously I had 16x7 +40mm Konig Helium with 195/45/16 and they RUBBED just sitting still, they rubbed going straight, they rubbed all the time. Now with these rims and a slightly smaller tire (195/40/16) not only have I eliminated all rubbing but I've always picked up a healthy butt-dyno improvement that I suspect is actually two factors - 1= each wheel and tire combo is 6 lbs lighter than the Konigs (which were approx 1.5 lbs lighter than factory), and 2= the slightly smaller outer diameter "rolling diameter" has an affect on gearing (its easier to spin a small circle than it is to spin a huge circle)

The story of my roadtrip is in another thread here
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41956

Here are some pics of the rims and the car as it sits now. I also added the 13mm rear spacers because without them the rear was way to sunken. I know the front is tucked in a bit and that’s exactly the look I wanted because I'm all about function not form ie: stance or ugly stretched sidewalls.

(the weather was horrible so the pics aren't great)

The rims were in great shape, and after I cleaned them up they almost look new.

I added brand new SSR centre caps that were originally supposed to fit my
15" SSR Type C's (but didn't) , and also some black BLOX lugnuts

3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote