Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
How many people are seriously interested in having a 2zr swap dealer? Should I write up a estimate with itemized costs including labor times, parts, fluids, warranty & legal stipulations, ect.?

Or are most of you just interested in the information from a diy?
For someone in an emissions testing state, I would think there would be some demand (maybe 1-2 a year) for a properly vetted and compliant install. For the rest of us, I think there would be more interest in documentation of the install. I'm not sure there's much commercial viability in selling "plans" for the swap, since a single PDF on the net will all but kill any chance of controlling distribution.

For a similar business model, there's a chap in the UK that does MR2 engine swaps. He offers everything from just the mounting brackets, up to a full turnkey solution from a donor vehicle/clip. It's not cheap, but there seems to be enough interest in it to keep him afloat for the last 10 years or so. Granted, the MR2 is a sports car with some pedigree, and a conservative swap nets you ~100 whp, so take it with a grain of salt.

It could also just be too early for the market--resale prices on the Yaris are still pretty strong, and the xD isn't readily available secondhand. When I look at the Autocross scene, most Honda Civic engine swaps are on cars that are 20+ years old. The original MR2 is 30+ years old, and people are still finding new engines to swap into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
...either way Im going to need to purchase another 2zr to test fit with a Yaris transmission. This requires me to spend a couple thousand dollars of my own money to help the entire community progress.
If you can get the stars to align, you may be able to just pull them from a you-wrench-it yard and bolt them up on site--unless you're talking about the full engine bay install and not just the mating of the gearbox to the engine.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote