Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #109
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Thumbs up

I haven't yet responded to this thread because I only put in a couple hundred miles on my Yaris since I got it, so it's a little early to pass judgment but here is my first impression:

Negative points:
- acceleration could be better, would make merging on the highway easier.
- tends to "dance" a little bit on the road in high wind / rain situation
- a quick release lever accessible from the driver seat for the trunk would be nice
- not a fan of the console located in the middle of the dashboard, but you actually get used to it pretty quickly
- visibility in the back not as good as it should be, makes parallel parking on the right side of the street a little tricky, even with side mirror
- sitting so high up takes a little getting used to it.

Positive points:
- Great value
- Toyota reliability
- Really cute (possibly the best looking small car out there right now)
- Subcompact
- Manoeuvers great in tight spots
- Good gas mileage
- Manual transmission
- Hatchback (love the design, allows you to transport more stuff in the car than a classic sedan design, I think)

Overall, I'd give the little Yaris a thumbs up. It's a good car and the price is right.

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #110
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Not enough aftermarket engine parts and turbo kits! BOO!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #111
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Twit: come on over! L'ville, esp., has the restaurants goin' on...

MadMax: "Sprocket"; cute!

I realize it's a cheap car, but Swift was a cheap car, yet more "richly" made (I also can't stand the polka-dotted seats, but wasnt' going to mention that)... I DO remind myself that this is just the general trend; you get less for your money in every area of life now.
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #112
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
You do have that center seatbelt locked into the roof, don't you? I see a lot of Yarii that don't do that, but it is quite easy to do!

And I don't think 40 MPG is "typical," more like 35 MPG. This is one car where you can't expect much better than the EPA estimates unless you concentrate on efficiency using hyper-milling or other techniques. I downshift my auto into '3' to kick the DFCO in when decelerating, and go easy on the gas most of the time; but I also drive 70-80 MPH and am not as worried about gas mileage as some. And even with the larger(215/45ZR17)/wider/“gripier” tires and my auto I am still getting 35 MPG.

Overall, I am very happy with the car and don’t have any major gripes about anything. I do have a few minor ones (such as the lack of a split-folding rear seat on my car), those are things I can fix given the opportunity. But for the most part, the Yaris does everything I expect of it!

Cheers! M2

Hi! not been here for many months. YES the first thing I did was lock that back seatbelt in its holder. "Outtahere" you should do this - it takes 2 seconds.

Also got rid of that shelf thing in the back the first day I bought my car - 16 months ago. I now have 33k miles on it and no problems so far.

VERY happy with the car: I did have THREE compliants with it BEFORE I bought mine car, solved two of them and live with the one.

1. Springs were WAY to "americanized" - BOATY, car just did not feel planted on the interstate above 75 mph. I put TRD stiff springs and struts on the thing the fist week I bought it. It now handles like my old Truimph TR7 sportscar of old (without the mechanical headache issues). She is now fully planted on the interstates even at 90 mph.

2. It took me nearly a year to find a STANDARD 5 speed with the POWER PACKAGE (power windows are a MUST for me!!!). I had to call all over the country to find that simple combination and I blaime Toyota incompetent marketing and region option bullshit. I had to travel out of state just to get a standard with power windows and split folding rear seats! Deaders in the Gulf State area REFUSED to dealer swap outside of region.

3. No tach on the STANDARD - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, this fucktiod of Toyota incompetent packaging I just live with. Shift to 2nd at 18 mph, 3rd at 38, 4th at 50, and into 5th at 65.

seats make me sit too high up (like in an SUV instead of low like I like), and no side support - but minor compliant.

stearing is a little mushy - not bad, but I generally dislike power stearing and such a light car don't need it. stearing is not quite "self-centering" enough either - but again a minor compliant. The 3 numbered above were the big three important complaints I had and 2 of them were solved for/by me.

mileage - well I'd love to get that magical 40 - but I hit 37.5 every damn time (35.5 in winter) combined. I do get 40 on interstate, but 35 in city, so I average 37 or 38 mpg.

I traveled to Florida last year and got 42 mpg there, but Oklahoma is hillier and colder so no 42 here ;-/.

She's ALMOST as fun to drive as my old TR7 and a flog the shit out of her (very agressive driver with the whole downshifting fun and jack rabbit starts). I LOVE SHIFTING - and live in fear that they will no longer be offered here in the States shortly. I have no idea WTF I'll do when I can no longer buy an new 5speed, I love not having to use my brakes!!! ;-). I bet my rotors look brand new with that 33k on em.

just my 2-cents.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #113
gaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
I come from the BMW world so no need to let me know about the S or forced induction. You paid just under $18K? That's a lot. If you can find an S for anywhere near $23K, let me know and I'll trade in my Yaris. There is no way that you are going to get an S for that price and if you could, everybody would be driving around in one. By the time you even remotely option out the Mini you are upper 20's...ad in the S and closer to 30.
I looked into a MINI base model (19k last year - in THEORY) when I had such a hard time finding a 5sp Yaris with Power Package (the whole no options for the standard Yaris got me RABID with HATE toward Toyoya at the time - still does actually when I think about it), and there was NO MINI anywhere under 26,000 bucks. period.

I was not willing to go over 19k (cash) for my car. I saved for 1-1/2 years and simply had no wish to spend 26k for any car.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #114
gaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I would've gotten the turbo mini S instead of my yaris if it had came out in 2006... You can look at it this way... 40MPG AND 175HP 6 speed of FUN ?? Not to mention the sweet and HUGE moonroof ??

mini has a 1.6 (not mentioning the Turbo which takes a small mileage toll) instead of a 1.5 and it weights 2600 lbs instead of 2300 lbs.

If the Yaris has a hard time getting 40 mpg, there is no way in hell that the MINI-S will average 40 mpg.

Stock MINIs get 32 average - that turbo is probably more like 31 or so in the REAL WORLD mileage.

- its all about wieght and engine size (a balance of the two also). simple really.

- can't have a HUGE engine in a small car and expect great mileage - nor can you have a heavy car with a dinky engine (the american car make solution to fuel effiency!!) - either combo equals poor mileage.

good mileage = BOTH light body and small engine. there is no other magical solution.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #115
gaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In this forum, somewhere; will try to find it. I think in the "buy new or wait till 2010" thread. By converting from metric to US, I've discerned that it's more than a foot shorter (in length), but am having trouble with the mileage claculations; sure 10 mpg isn't right, but it couldn't be 100... COULD IT??? Anyone have more info on Aygo?
Aygo is not comming. there was talk about offer the IQ but with gas so cheap I have my doubts that we will even see it.

I've wanted a micrcoar since the days of the MG midget, but Americans are so safety phobic and fat today no car maker has the balls to offer a truely small are here in the States. ;-(. Yaris was the smallest car I could buy and it is bigger than I like my cars.

Even Ford is pussing out of offering their new KA (what a sweet car too) now, and Fiat 500 if it ever come here will be a boutique offering and cost as much as the mini I'm sure ;-(.

Fiat 500 (both the old one - which I saw here in town!! last week - and the new one) is a sweet looking vehicle.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #116
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
[QUOTE=otterhere

I am not so thrilled with mine. Never thought I'd even consider trading in but, depending upon what makers come out with in the next few years, I might...[/QUOTE]

As you have complained in the other thread about foolish things, why don't you go and get your swift !
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #117
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Love My Yaris,

Love My MPG,

Love My Payments.
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #118
otterhere

Gaffo, glad you solved all the aggravating problems with the (mostly interior) design of the Yaris, the "too-high" ride, etc., but should you really have to do all this work on a brand new car to make it acceptable? I think not... Just, to take one example, that stupid shelf in the hatchback; did they actually TRY putting bags of groceries back there with the shelf in place before approving that design (which actually interferes)? No...

Sorry to hear your prediction about the Aygo, but I mostly agree.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #119
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
didn't we already have this thread?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...mplaint+thread

:D
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #120
otterhere

Oh, dear... Hilarious; is this the best photo of the Suzuki Swift Wikipedia could come up with, LOL? Couldn't they at least find one that was washed and not covered in mud???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Suzukiswift96.jpg
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #121
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
im very happy with my yaris... very cute car. great gas mileage. stock speakers are great exceot gets really annyoyin when the door rumbles n makes that awful weird noise coz of the bass :( .... yaris is fast n can keep up with almost any car on the higway, but the acceleration is killing me, its terrible... anyone facing with acceleration problem?
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #122
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdallah380 View Post
im very happy with my yaris... very cute car. great gas mileage. stock speakers are great exceot gets really annyoyin when the door rumbles n makes that awful weird noise coz of the bass :( .... yaris is fast n can keep up with almost any car on the higway, but the acceleration is killing me, its terrible... anyone facing with acceleration problem?
Same here. Acceleration is not a strong point on that car.

You can adjust the bass on the factory stereo (don't ask me how, though, but I've seen the sales guy do it at the dealership), but the acceleration is something you might have to get used to :(
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #123
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
You can adjust the bass on the factory stereo (don't ask me how, though, but I've seen the sales guy do it at the dealership)
On the sedan at least, the knob on the right end of the top of the stereo controls bass, treble, balance (left-right), fade (front-back), and a feature that turns the volume down when the car's speed decreases (the knob on the left end being for power and volume). Just press the knob in once for each setting and cycle through them until you see the one you want to change. Then turn that same knob up or down to adjust, and the equivalent relative number will show on the screen as you do it. To set it there, just wait until the screen returns to normal.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #124
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
... but should you really have to do all this work on a brand new car to make it acceptable? I think not...
Otterhere, did you actually drive or play with a Yaris before you bought one, or did you just order it online sight unseen? Your attitude says "Spoiled Brat" so frikkin' loud I'm deafened. If the car is "unacceptable" as new, then what does that say about you as a purchaser? It says you did no research, did not look at the car AT ALL, and have a bad habit of blaming everyone else for the fact that you bought something you didn't like.
Toughen up, get over yourself.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #125
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Otterhere, did you actually drive or play with a Yaris before you bought one, or did you just order it online sight unseen? Your attitude says "Spoiled Brat" so frikkin' loud I'm deafened. If the car is "unacceptable" as new, then what does that say about you as a purchaser? It says you did no research, did not look at the car AT ALL, and have a bad habit of blaming everyone else for the fact that you bought something you didn't like.
Toughen up, get over yourself.

:thum bup:
Well Said !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Forrest; 02-24-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #126
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
On the sedan at least [...] and a feature that turns the volume down when the car's speed decreases
:( Why don't we get that in the HB?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote