Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
so what do we do?
I say check the shift register output for the heck of it, as I don't believe that all 16 outputs are in use.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Just as a side note, I think it would be worthwhile if a mod re-named this thread to something like "DIY Cruise Control how-to, 2007-2009".

The current thread title won't be helpful in future searches :D
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
Alright you guys, I'm home and I used my Cruise Control to and from work...it was GREAT! Definatly worth the trouble. But of course right now it's kind of a pain to always be wondering "Did I turn it on yet? Is it on or off right now? I sure wished this LED worked." :)

I just got done reading all these replies. I will definatly take the meter apart again and check all those pins "just for the heck of it," cause it will be nice if that works out. But if not we'll have to figure something else out.

PK198105, no I don't have the tach in the combination meter, but I did install one aftermarket...I think that doesn't effect this process. And I do also see many empty solder points on the PCB...LED's, IC's and some other stuff.

Also, I didn't see the clutch switch wire hanging down under the dash, but I will search again just to make sure.

Anyway, I probably won't have any time to do this until saturday, so hang in there guys and I will keep checking in here everyday to see what's shakin'. I will post more pics on saturday with my results from the voltage tests. Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
Alright you guys, I'm home and I used my Cruise Control to and from work...it was GREAT! Definatly worth the trouble. But of course right now it's kind of a pain to always be wondering "Did I turn it on yet? Is it on or off right now? I sure wished this LED worked." :)

I just got done reading all these replies. I will definatly take the meter apart again and check all those pins "just for the heck of it," cause it will be nice if that works out. But if not we'll have to figure something else out.

PK198105, no I don't have the tach in the combination meter, but I did install one aftermarket...I think that doesn't effect this process. And I do also see many empty solder points on the PCB...LED's, IC's and some other stuff.

Also, I didn't see the clutch switch wire hanging down under the dash, but I will search again just to make sure.

Anyway, I probably won't have any time to do this until saturday, so hang in there guys and I will keep checking in here everyday to see what's shakin'. I will post more pics on saturday with my results from the voltage tests. Thanks guys!

Sounds good. I have a circuit design in my back pocket for making the LED work, without changing to a dual pole switch, in case we need it...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Nice.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Any ideas on where I can find a steering column cover that already has the opening for the cruise stalk? My car's basically brand new and I don't wanna mess up the OEM cover if I can help it.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
try a scrap yard. you might get lucky and find one there if not there is always the dealership
Anybody know the part #?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i thought the cruise came through the steering wheel, not the column cover?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Cover, Steering Wheel Boss, Lower: 45184-52130-B0

This is for one that has factory cruise control, (and it is the plastic back of the wheel, not the column cover).
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
MGargano

Ohh so it's actually the back of the steering wheel, not the column cover? Doh! This fits & color matches the US 09?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
Ohh so it's actually the back of the steering wheel, not the column cover? Doh! This fits & color matches the US 09?
Yes.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
MGargano

Thanks, just ordered from TRDSparks. Should be getting the fogs, OEM combo stalk, shrouds, clutch switch, and boss this weekend to go with the cruise stalk. I figure I'll pull the steering wheel once and be done with it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

CTScott, I checked every pin (just to be sure) on those two IC's (IC500,IC501) and the pins for the blank spot where the third IC should go (IC502). Nothing :( they were all the same after I hit the Cruise switch. I grounded my meter to the frame and checked the pins with the red lead of the meter while it was on DC Voltage "20V" setting. That's how I do it right (I don't think I'm that dumb, but just to make sure) I guess it's not gunna happen the easy way as usual :)
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTScott, I checked every pin (just to be sure) on those two IC's (IC500,IC501) and the pins for the blank spot where the third IC should go (IC502). Nothing :( they were all the same after I hit the Cruise switch. I grounded my meter to the frame and checked the pins with the red lead of the meter while it was on DC Voltage "20V" setting. That's how I do it right (I don't think I'm that dumb, but just to make sure) I guess it's not gunna happen the easy way as usual :)

Sounds like you tested it correctly. As PK mentioned prior, there was little chance that it would be there, but it was worth a shot. I have to order some parts today for another project, so I'll order what I need as well to test my method of lighting your LED.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

I received the parts this week for lighting your LED, without changing your switch. I will be using a PIC12HV615 microcontroller to sense the switch press (and differentiate between the on/off and one of the other ones being pressed) and to drive the LED. The entire circuit will only require the 8 pin microcontroller, a transistor, and a few resistors (totaling maybe $5 in parts).

I will hopefully have some time this weekend to experiment. PM me your mailing address, and when I have it all figured out, I'll mail you the "module" (at no charge, since you've been the guinea pig for this).
Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Awsome. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
stran

Drives: '07 Yaris 3D HB Auto
CTScott and nickhjort, you guys are awesome. keep up the good work.

this info is super helpful. i will do this on my car once i have some downtime. i have an 07 auto, FYI.
stran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Thanks. It feels good to be able to actually help for once instead of just sucking in all the information and hard work of others to make my car better :) I like being one of the first to do a mod.