Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Roof racks and hitch mounted bike racks should be fine. But I really don't understand how you guys don't think you'll be liable when your FWD economy car gets slung across 4 lanes of traffic from a fishtailing trailer in 15 mph winds. I've seen it happen to full sized trucks, you know, the things that were designed to tow trailers? No, you're not gonna crash and die every time. No, you're not gonna blow up your engine or transmission. No, you probably won't even void your warranty if you take the hitch off before you take it in. But its gonna be hard to explain why you didn't just rent a U-haul for 20 bucks after you totaled 3 cars and killed 4 people, after the car manufacturer explicitly told you not to tow, and apparently your car insurance agent did too.

Most americans can barely operate their cars without hundreds of pounds of dead weight slinging around behind them.

As for the manual only being for warranty issues, why would it be different for Canada? The fact it is recommended in Canada, and not recommended in the US, pretty much says to me it can only be because of legal issues, not warranty. Unless the cold prevents damage from towing??

A properly loaded trailer of appropriate size/weight will not fishtail or be a danger in almost any winds, provided you know how to drive with a trailer. Your liability in the US is primarily going to be related to your driving and loading issues. If you drive badly, you are liable. No trailer needed for that.

Your warranty will not be voided even if you leave the hitch in-place. The manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim based on aftermarket parts unless they can demonstrate a direct relationship between the part and the failure. This has been pointed-out so many times on this forum that its amazing everone hasn't memorized the wording of the Act.

Highway speeds are higher in the US, and the # of cars so much greater that Toyota has more exposure here, so they tend to be extremely cautious -legally- here compared to other markets (Canada). US DOT rules regarding trailering (reinforcement, light hook-up accomodations, safety chain support, weight ratios) place such a high burden on the manufacturer that Toyota choose to decertify the Yaris for towing rather than try to make it meet US standards or be at risk of a consumer doing something stupid and blaming the car. You are not going to be breaking any laws if you tow with your Yaris, but Toyota ain't gonna back you up or warranty your car if you screw up or try to run at 75 mph with a 1500 lb trailer across the great divide or death valley, cooking your tranny in the process.
The rest of the world appears to have a little more sense, or better tort laws.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
You are not going to be breaking any laws if you tow with your Yaris, but Toyota ain't gonna back you up or warranty your car if you screw up or try to run at 75 mph with a 1500 lb trailer across the great divide or death valley, cooking your tranny in the process.
The rest of the world appears to have a little more sense, or better tort laws.
+1 Amen!

There is waaay too much suing going on here in the US and a lot of things are much more expensive than they should be (auto insurance for example) because of that. If there was a way to limit the frivolous law suits (lady stumbles over her own child at JcPenney's, sues and wins settlement!!!) a lot of money could be used for better purposes
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Thank god someone gets it, ozmdd. +2

If I got into an accident with my trailer attached and a bag of trash on it, I'm not going to be at fault just for having it and going against the bibl... er, the manual's recommendations...

If I get into an accident because I'm being a dumbass and hauling 1,000 pounds on my trailer, well that's another story.

I love how the manual states:
"Towing capacity (except for Canada):
Toyota does not recommend towing
a trailer with your vehicle. Your
vehicle is not designed for trailer
towing.

Towing capacity (for Canada):
318 kg (700 lb.)
Towing capacity means the maximum
gross trailer weight (trailer weight plus
its cargo weight)"

And then all over the rest of the manual it tells you how to properly use the vehicle to tow...

Last edited by Sodium Duck; 11-16-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Sodium Duck is offline   Reply With Quote