Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
another car for pretentious and vain people:

exclusivity is nothing , just makes you look like a snob to the rest of the normal people. and you look like an idiot for having spent another stupid amount for a car that you can get for under 20k with proper reliability from Toyota instead of a overpriced mechanic magnet.

and Im sorry but that interior looks like a gaudy Luis Vuitton purse...i just threw up a bit
There's a lot of snobs out there. Like it or not, people buy BRANDS to show off and to be exclusive. Which is why car companies had to launch luxury brands, particularly in America, rather than Toyota, Honda, Nissan, ect. simply using their core brands to move upmarket. They had to create Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. It's argued, and pretty accurate, that people won't spend $80K for a car with a "regular" badge on it.

Unfortunately, brand perception is just as important as the product itself. It's why Hyundai still has it's old name to overcome even though they now build superb products. They're even playing with luxury with the Genesis and now the Equus. The Equus will be very hard to sell ($55K Hyundai) even though it competes with $75K cars.

Just the way it is.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Don't be so sure. But anyways, it isn't about gas mileage, it is about not driving a 250,000 car into a city. They get to show they are Aston owners without risking some reject hitting their car with a honda civic, or some other piece of junk.
I'm not sure that that logic works.. as they still risk some "reject" hitting their over-the-top-expensive Aston Martin/iQ, right?

It's still their fancy smug-mobile getting dinged by some common man's econobox...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
I wonder what kind of tweaks Aston will do under the hood?
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #22
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
I'm not sure that that logic works.. as they still risk some "reject" hitting their over-the-top-expensive Aston Martin/iQ, right?

It's still their fancy smug-mobile getting dinged by some common man's econobox...
well obviously, but as was noted a ton of the body panels are identical to the toyota, and it is a ton cheaper to repair the toyota than an aston martin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redglare45 View Post
I wonder what kind of tweaks Aston will do under the hood?
they aren't doing any.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #23
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
interior
Some parts of that interior looks alright, but the rest looks overly done and somewhat tacky…
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #24
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
From what I understand the purpose of the Cygnet is to allow Aston Martin fleet to comply with strict emissions rules that the European Union is putting into place for 2012?
This is correct. Aston Martin's average MPG across its fleet is not high enough.

Which is why they've bought the one of the cheapest cars Toyota makes with one of the highest MPGs.

Smart on their part.

And yes, people will buy it for the AM badge. And yes, they will be snobs. But rich people buy dumb stuff all the time. Nothing new here.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #25
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
im willing to spend alot of money on the interior alone......... i want that in my yaris
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #26
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
but that is what I like about Hyundai , they didn't change their name (yet) to please conceited snobs into buying their product.

For me an Acura is still a Honda a Lexus is still Toyota and Infinity is still Nissan, I don't get influenced by a simple name change, the parts still come from the same factory pretty much and are interchangeable look at the Acura 1.7EL and a Civic...same bloody parts. and to go back on topic if the "Aston" will be built by the Brits it won't be anywhere near as good as the actual iQ, it is a well known fact Brits can built a great looking car and somewhat performant but t will last a year before it goes back to the mechanic
...AAAAND Hyundai Genesis kicked the Mercedes E class all up and down the court
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote