Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #1783
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
So, is that 3 hours one way? In the SF area, that sounds about right, so you are donating 6 unproductive hours to what?? It doesn't go to your education, your job, or your family... Oh, dear...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #1784
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
just to chime in, I drove from florida to mass, and I averaged 38 mpg for the 1300 mile trip.

For some reason the fill ups from the northern states gave me better mileage than the southern states did.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #1785
YesYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgolfer
BC, not even Vancouver, has nothing like the war zones (i.e. affordable housing districts) which define America's major (and even not so major) inner cities. Its easy for a Cannuk to tell someone else where they should live (as long as it NIMBY).
If that is your opinion I have to wonder if you've ever been to Vancouver. Are you aware that Vancouver's downtown eastside is one of the poorest and high crime areas of North America? The amount of violence in the DES trumps many impoverished areas of plenty of North American cities -- combined.

If that wasn't bad enough, Vancouver's suburb of Surrey has a district known as Whalley that has almost as bad of a reputation as the downtown east side. Drugs, combined with gang turf wars and murders, have defined Vancouver's image and created a major issue for media relations during the run up to the 2010 Olympic games.

Anyways, Canadian cities are built with more public transit planning in mind and the Canadian culture, for the most part, does not lend itself to extremely long commuter networks. Toronto, however, is a exception as its commuter network extends to the sorts of distances common in many (albeit much, much smaller) American cities. Canadians love their inner cities and despite normal struggles they are still safe places to live. Even in Vancouver's case, the inner city continues to be very desirable.

PS...calling someone a "Canuck" with a hint of arrogance is no different than if someone were to condescendingly refer to you as a "Greengo" or a "Yank." I think most people on this board are well above that sort of condescending attitude, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by YesYaris; 10-11-2010 at 04:51 PM.
YesYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #1786
TLyttle

I've been called lots of things, Canuck doesn't bother me a bit. As a Canuck, I have travelled in the US and Europe without penalty, unlike some Americans I have met. The US has people travelling who should stay at home: somehow, they think that yelling at someone will help them understand English better! I've also met Americans here who think they are still in the US, and that US currency is to be treated the same as Canadian currency, and get REALLY huffy when they are told otherwise. Personally, I think it has to do with the parochial education system there...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #1787
nmgolfer

Drives: Barcelona Red '09 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYaris View Post
If that is your opinion I have to wonder if you've ever been to Vancouver. Are you aware that Vancouver's downtown eastside is one of the poorest and high crime areas of North America? The amount of violence in the DES trumps many impoverished areas of plenty of North American cities -- combined.

If that wasn't bad enough, Vancouver's suburb of Surrey has a district known as Whalley that has almost as bad of a reputation as the downtown east side. Drugs, combined with gang turf wars and murders, have defined Vancouver's image and created a major issue for media relations during the run up to the 2010 Olympic games.

Anyways, Canadian cities are built with more public transit planning in mind and the Canadian culture, for the most part, does not lend itself to extremely long commuter networks. Toronto, however, is a exception as its commuter network extends to the sorts of distances common in many (albeit much, much smaller) American cities. Canadians love their inner cities and despite normal struggles they are still safe places to live. Even in Vancouver's case, the inner city continues to be very desirable.

PS...calling someone a "Canuck" with a hint of arrogance is no different than if someone were to condescendingly refer to you as a "Greengo" or a "Yank." I think most people on this board are well above that sort of condescending attitude, wouldn't you agree?
Yes... I've been to Vancouver many times. You seem to contradict yourself. First you seem to claim Vancouver is the arm pit of north america then in the next sentence you say Canadian inner cities are safe places to live (which is something Americans will never know since we cannot immigrate there unless we marry in). Make up your mind. Funny you think 'Canuk' is a derogatory term. If it were you would think the Vancouver's hockey team would be named something else so no... I don't agree with you
nmgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #1788
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
So, is that 3 hours one way? In the SF area, that sounds about right, so you are donating 6 unproductive hours to what?? It doesn't go to your education, your job, or your family... Oh, dear...
It's 1h30m one way due to taking a different route to avoid paying two tolls and driving 60 MPH. The return trip varies from 1h45m to 2+ hours. A typical work day for me is leaving at 6 in the morning and returning around 9, so I'm gone for about 15 hours.

The fortunate ones are the workers that are able to commute by a work shuttle such as the one Google provides.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #1789
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
I've been called lots of things, Canuck doesn't bother me a bit. As a Canuck, I have travelled in the US and Europe without penalty, unlike some Americans I have met. The US has people travelling who should stay at home: somehow, they think that yelling at someone will help them understand English better! I've also met Americans here who think they are still in the US, and that US currency is to be treated the same as Canadian currency, and get REALLY huffy when they are told otherwise. Personally, I think it has to do with the parochial education system there...
I wish our schools were run by Church's, maybe more of the mental rejects would actually know something.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #1790
TLyttle

Gee, I would be careful of that one. The churches have a spotty record on schooling, from very good to very bad, about the same as the public-run institutions. Much of the failure of the school systems has more to do with political grandstanding than anything else: which President decided that "no child left behind" was a great policy? So now, the "mental rejects" end up with a high school diploma just as long as they actually show up at school. I am old enough to have survived a disciplined, complete education, based on the 3 Rs, plus a Social Studies course that taught us about more than just the country we lived in, and a history course covering the world. And if you didn't pass, you got to repeat it until you DID pass. Sure, spoken like an old dude, but I know my education is superior to anything taught in our schools now.

We also knew about guns, as WW11 was freshly over. We were taught to respect each other, not to fear each other. Much better.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #1791
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Gee, I would be careful of that one. The churches have a spotty record on schooling, from very good to very bad, about the same as the public-run institutions. Much of the failure of the school systems has more to do with political grandstanding than anything else: which President decided that "no child left behind" was a great policy? So now, the "mental rejects" end up with a high school diploma just as long as they actually show up at school. I am old enough to have survived a disciplined, complete education, based on the 3 Rs, plus a Social Studies course that taught us about more than just the country we lived in, and a history course covering the world. And if you didn't pass, you got to repeat it until you DID pass. Sure, spoken like an old dude, but I know my education is superior to anything taught in our schools now.

We also knew about guns, as WW11 was freshly over. We were taught to respect each other, not to fear each other. Much better.
Definitely better.Which President decided a federal board of education was a good thing?

I agree Bush was bad for us, he has a love of big government that is so wrong, and he allowed Obama to come in and grow the government even more.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #1792
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

I agree Bush was bad for us, he has a love of big government that is so wrong, and he allowed Obama to come in and grow the government even more.
The workings of the false left/right political dichotomy!

When will America see it's all a lie! Government for the Corporations and Government by the Corporations. They determine the government policy...

US Government is best described as a:

"Techno-plutocratic business-associational Crony Corporate-fascist Media/Entertainment induced Crimeocracy State", with the US President's job being the pitchman to sell the illusion... the supplier of the ‘bread and circuses’ to you via the corporate controlled Mainstream Media (MSM).

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #1793
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
The workings of the false left/right political dichotomy!

When will America see it's all a lie! Government for the Corporations and Government by the Corporations. They determine the government policy...

US Government is best described as a:

"Techno-plutocratic business-associational Crony Corporate-fascist Media/Entertainment induced Crimeocracy State", with the US President's job being the pitchman to sell the illusion... the supplier of the ‘bread and circuses’ to you via the corporate controlled Mainstream Media (MSM).

Cheers!
Well of course the corporations are going to do everything they can to hide it as much as possible. However some of the whisperings I have heard is that a ton of things citizens would assume is completely under governmental control was given to, and then taken over completely by private corporations. Kinda scary.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #1794
TLyttle

Time for another book, gentlemen, on the fate of not only your country, but most other countries on the planet. "The Secret History of the American Empire" by John Perkins shows that the "corporatocracy" does not want nation states to have control fo their natural and human resources, pressuring national governments to get on board with the global free trade agenda. Seems to me that this will lead to something that has eluded righteous leaders and madmen for the last century, world domination. Only this time, no one will survive as an individual unless they work towards this end. Is everybody happy?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #1795
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Switched from 17's (Centerline RPM's) to 15 inch steelies.
1st pic is the night before. 2nd Pic is the morning after, right after I filled up.
Drove about 85% highway/ 15% city.
Attached Images

redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #1796
redglare45

In the 40's

This is my second tank, back-to-back in the 40MPG mile range

Been doing mainly highway, about 85% and 15% City.
Distance:447.8 mi.
Fuel Used:10.433
MPG: 42.92
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #1797
redglare45

Latest fill up

My best so far to date:

Distance:475.4 mi.
Fuel Used:10.926
MPG: 43.51
Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #1798
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
2010 3 door w/ auto : 42.17 m.p.g. ( 87mis. / 2.063 gals. : 1 click of nozzle ) , E.M. ( Eco-Meter ) : 42 ; 2 people , many hills , 35 p.s.i. , VALERO 87 , avg. speed :47 m.p.h. , 42 degrees , Winds : N.E. 10 > 20 , dry roads , PENNZOIL Yellow Bottle ( conventional ) 5w-30 ( S.N. , GF-5 ) , and 25% Cty. / 75% Hwy.. Car has 12,350+ mis..

Last edited by Hershey; 11-07-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #1799
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
95% of in town driving, highway trips are around 4 miles.

35.3MPG!!!

I should get above 40s if i drive mostly highway.
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #1800
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I get between 38 and 42 mpg on my daily interstate commutes, I get closer to 38 mpg if Im driving 70+ and 42 if I drive like 63 mpg in cruise. here in Kentucky I-75. Keep the RPM below 3,000 and the car does really well. I like to run at a speed of 2800-2850 on the interstate in my AT.