Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
jonathankoji

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan
Thumbs up Sound deadening on the cheap, no audio equip

Hey guys, I'm completely ignorant about audio stuff and was wondering what is the absolute cheapest method I could do to help block road noise in my yaris?

I don't have a sound system or plan on getting one I just want to purely make it a little less noisy while I'm on the road.

Also, how noticeable of a difference is it? Is it even worth it?

Thanks
jonathankoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

It's not cheap, Yaris is a noisy little car. is it worth? for me... Yes.

What's your budget?

D.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Raamaudio and Ensolite
Old 02-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Hm. Do you have an old mattress? I stuffed an entire mattress into different areas inside the door and sides. I'm not sure about price, but my experience with "b-quiet" on ebay was excellent: the material type and thickness, thus effectiveness, is the same, only cheaper. The glue is still holding up excellent. I also put bed sheets, old pillow and pillow cases into the rear pillars.

Subject covered before... it is totally worth it to sound proof the yaris. The doors are wide open for sound, as is the trunk underneath the spare tire, and the floor in front of the front seats.

I put the audio equip in at the same time I deadened it (spent about $2-250 on deadening if I remember), and enjoyed driving without any music at all just to enjoy the silence.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Cheapest I found to do it was elemental designs liquid edead,a gallon is $65 shipped and it goes a long way......my cost to do my car so far is $170 and I doubt that will do a good job in the back and sides....still got firewall and doors and roof.....

Does deadening make a diffeance....yes it does....cars these days are full of road noise and no deadening from the factory.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
jonathankoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
It's not cheap, Yaris is a noisy little car. is it worth? for me... Yes.

What's your budget?

D.
~$150ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Hm. Do you have an old mattress? I stuffed an entire mattress into different areas inside the door and sides. I'm not sure about price, but my experience with "b-quiet" on ebay was excellent: the material type and thickness, thus effectiveness, is the same, only cheaper. The glue is still holding up excellent. I also put bed sheets, old pillow and pillow cases into the rear pillars.

Subject covered before... it is totally worth it to sound proof the yaris. The doors are wide open for sound, as is the trunk underneath the spare tire, and the floor in front of the front seats.

I put the audio equip in at the same time I deadened it (spent about $2-250 on deadening if I remember), and enjoyed driving without any music at all just to enjoy the silence.
I was also wondering if it's safe to do this or if it doesn't really matter. Seems like it would make the car significantly more flammable in some kind of accident.

But that's totally worst case scenario thinking.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Where are the best places to put the deadening for the best results?

Other than everywhere of course... lol
Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #8
derickveliz2

Exclamation

Deadening a car generally there are two ways...

1.- To improve acoustics for a sound system and prevent rattles (one, two or tree layers of Mat + CCFoam)

2.- Block road noise (you need mass)

To block the noise the equation goes like this:

- Cover 25% with Mat on flat areas of metal panels (to prevent reverberations)

- 1 layer of CCFoam (to absorb high frequencies that still penetrate treated panels with Mat)

- 1 layer of MLV (mass loaded vinyl - 1square foot = 1 pound) to BLOCK the noise

I would start with

-Floor and wheel wells (all 4)

-Doors

A very effective and cheap area to treat are the front fenders.

and last... trunk

D.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
jonathankoji

Quote:
Deadening a car generally there are two ways...

To block the noise the equation goes like this:

- Cover 25% with Mat on flat areas of metal panels (to prevent reverberations)

- 1 layer of CCFoam (to absorb high frequencies that still penetrate treated panels with Mat)

- 1 layer of MLV (mass loaded vinyl - 1square foot = 1 pound) to BLOCK the noise

I would start with

-Floor and wheel wells (all 4)

-Doors

A very effective and cheap area to treat are the front fenders.

and last... trunk

D.
Sweet, thanks for the detailed information. How much would the above roughly cost and where would you recommend buying them?

Also, how would I go about treating the wheel wells and front fenders? (I'm pretty auto illiterate. I don't even know how to change my oil which is ironic considering I'm an engineering major )
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
derickveliz2

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankoji View Post
Sweet, thanks for the detailed information. How much would the above roughly cost and where would you recommend buying them?
Also, how would I go about treating the wheel wells and front fenders? (I'm pretty auto illiterate. I don't even know how to change my oil which is ironic considering I'm an engineering major )
Start with this LINK Don it's very nice to talk to, he thought me a lot about how to deaden my car.

You can also order from: http://www.soundproofing.org/

How much? well that depends on how much do you want to do. It's not cheap and it's heavy.

For the front fenders you can read post # 908 in my thread. LINK

Front wheel wells are not as difficult like the rear ones, just start taking panels out, then the carpet, and if I did it you can do it!

Remember that a continuous, uninterupted layer of mass MLV is what you need to block the noise. I remember when I was treating my car, it was like a game, chasing the noise from one side to another, it's until I covered everything that the road noise goes to a minimum. And I did a mix on blocking road noise with improving the interior of my car for a sound system.

I hope it helps.

D.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #11
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Compeltely agree.
I copied someone's idea from this forum and made "skins" that fit between the inside door panel and the inside door skin from 1lb/sqft MLV and it made a noticeable difference. And I've only done the rear doors, still have to do the frotn.

I also put down MLV on the floors but didn't do it properly (full coverage) and it really didn't make much difference. Lesson learned: do it properly the first time, and cover EVERYTHING.
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
jonathankoji

Quote:
Start with this LINK Don it's very nice to talk to, he thought me a lot about how to deaden my car.

You can also order from: http://www.soundproofing.org/

How much? well that depends on how much do you want to do. It's not cheap and it's heavy.

For the front fenders you can read post # 908 in my thread. LINK

Front wheel wells are not as difficult like the rear ones, just start taking panels out, then the carpet, and if I did it you can do it!

Remember that a continuous, uninterupted layer of mass MLV is what you need to block the noise. I remember when I was treating my car, it was like a game, chasing the noise from one side to another, it's until I covered everything that the road noise goes to a minimum. And I did a mix on blocking road noise with improving the interior of my car for a sound system.

I hope it helps.

D.
That helps a lot actually. Thanks derick

Final question, about how much total weight (after everything's done) will this add to my car?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankoji View Post
That helps a lot actually. Thanks derick

Final question, about how much total weight (after everything's done) will this add to my car?
You are welcome...

At least 1 pound per every square foot of MLV. Mat or CLD Tiles are not as heavy but add weight, I'm guessing I have about 200 pounds but I love it! in summer I still get 42.4 MPG in winter it's around 39 MPG

The other day I picked up my Mother at the airport, she has a Yaris too, and her husband has a BMW 3 series, and after 5-10 minutes in the car she turns at me with a very frustrating voice...

"Your car feels so quite and smooth more like the BMW not like my Yaris, or even better!"

Yes, it feels good!

D.