Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My minivan is one that uses the parking brake to adjust the rear drums. If the parking brake's not used regularly, the drums get out of adjustment as the linings wear. I still don't know whether the Yaris uses the parking brake or applying the brakes while backing up to adjust the drums, but I use the parking brake regularly.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #20
RYar

Drives: Red 08' Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
You might want to jack it up, take off that wheel, and make sure there's not a floor mat jammed in there. Sometimes it happens.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
-Steve
Hahaha....

Sorry for the extreme delay, I was sidetracked. So I took it to the dealer and they took care of everything, including a problem that I didn't know about; slight rotor warping. It was all free and under warranty.

The problem was the brake drum fused (due to corrosion) to the brake shoes, locking up the DS rear wheel. Their response to "how do I keep this from happening again?" was "drive it more often". Strange for a car so young, and having sat for less than a week. I had a 91 VW Jetta with rear drums that I would let sit for months... never an issue. The brakes never worked very well though.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
RYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #21
jesuismir

Drives: 08 Sedan
I'm so glad I found this!

This happened to me two weeks ago. I had parked and came back within 1 minute (at the post office). When I set it on reverse, my car didn't move. I slightly hit the gas and it didn't move. I push a little bit harder (way to hard to normally slowly back out) and it finally started moving. When I went to hit the brakes, the brakes were stuck! So, out of fear (esp. with a car coming behind you), I pulled the manual brake and set my car on parking. I tried steering (car was still on with man. and parked), but it was stuck too. Waited two minutes and started the car again and it was fine. (No, my steering wheel wasn't turned all the way)

It happened to me AGAIN today. This time when I set it on reverse it moved FORWARD (thank goodness I was parked against the wall with a parking stopper). Turned off the car and started it again. Backed up and it was fine.

I was going to bring it in the first time, but then thought it was a one time thing. Boy was I wrong. I have a great fear that I won't be able to stop my car in the freeway.

My car also smell like stinky socks when I start it up. I have to check that out too.

I had bought the car alarm with Toyota and the light blinks a lot faster than it used to.

This is my only car and I drive it everyday.

The good part is I'm still under warranty! *whew*
jesuismir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #22
08blackyari
slowpoke

Drives: 08 blk LB manu. pwr opt & cld
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuismir View Post
I'm so glad I found this!

This happened to me two weeks ago. I had parked and came back within 1 minute (at the post office). When I set it on reverse, my car didn't move. I slightly hit the gas and it didn't move. I push a little bit harder (way to hard to normally slowly back out) and it finally started moving. When I went to hit the brakes, the brakes were stuck! So, out of fear (esp. with a car coming behind you), I pulled the manual brake and set my car on parking. I tried steering (car was still on with man. and parked), but it was stuck too. Waited two minutes and started the car again and it was fine. (No, my steering wheel wasn't turned all the way)

It happened to me AGAIN today. This time when I set it on reverse it moved FORWARD (thank goodness I was parked against the wall with a parking stopper). Turned off the car and started it again. Backed up and it was fine.

I was going to bring it in the first time, but then thought it was a one time thing. Boy was I wrong. I have a great fear that I won't be able to stop my car in the freeway.

My car also smell like stinky socks when I start it up. I have to check that out too.

I had bought the car alarm with Toyota and the light blinks a lot faster than it used to.

This is my only car and I drive it everyday.

The good part is I'm still under warranty! *whew*
So what did the dealer say about your car??
08blackyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #23
jesuismir

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08blackyari View Post
So what did the dealer say about your car??
To be honest, I still haven't taken it in. Apparently I have the "magic touch" and people in my family saying that "it's all in my head" since the dealer said it was "ok" and it has never happened to them

I took it once and the mechanics were "busy" so they "looked at my car", asked if I could produce it again [yeah, it has happened twice in less then 6 months & it's random] deemed nothing was "wrong," and sent me on my merry way. All this in 20 minutes. They told me to come back on the weekday if it was really an issue (uh, yes, because all of us has nothing to do & HOW is it not an issue that your brakes are NOT working properly?).

It happened AGAIN today. This time, the valet guy parked my car and I got in (engine still on & "P" [parking]). When I put my car on reverse, it reversed normally without the brakes. Then, I put my car on "D" aka DRIVE and released the brakes, my car started to REVERSE like I was still on "R" BUT I was on DRIVE. I released the brake again and it was still slowly reversing. HOWEVER, this time I could NOT push the brakes all the way (15% out of 100%). Had to use manual brake.

I once again had to turn off my car and restart it. It was fine after that.

---
I need to find out how to reproduce it so I could show the mechanics.
jesuismir is offline   Reply With Quote